Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Difference between anti virus and firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between anti virus and firewall?

Hey
I have problem regarding antivirus and firewall. I installed avg antivirus on my pc, but virus attacked on my system again, somebody told me to install any firewall. I am using cable internet. Can anyone help me with the difference between anti virus and firewall? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Anti-virus essentially stops Viruses coming in thru websites or thru email attachments. A firewall will only let into your network IP addresses you give it permission. That will stop most hackers going into a network. Though if the hacker is good enough, it won't matter what firewall you have!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:33 AM

A computer or network which are connected to the internet are more prone to attacked from outside source. Intruders may steal our valuable data's, or they may destroy our computer or network. Firewall is a part of computer/network which will protect your system/network from intruders. Firewall can be of Application gateway or Packet filtering. In Application gateway, some applications are given security mechanisms to prevent intruder's access to our system. Telnet, FTP, WWW will given more security. In Packet filtering each packet sent/received are inspected by the firewall and block the packet if any threat found.

Virus - Vital Information Resources Under Siege. It is a program which affects your computer programs or files, and may damage your files, and may seriously damage your system. Virus can copy itself and affect another files.

Anti-virus can only fight against potential threat from the viruses, where as Firewall's protect your system/network from the intruders. So only using Firewall you can't protect your system from virus attacks, and only using Anti-virus you can't protect your system from intruders.
__________________________________________________ _______
dining room furniture
homemade rat repellent