Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

DVD & a Computer, Why wont my computer recognize a DVD?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DVD & a Computer, Why wont my computer recognize a DVD?

So I am trying to watch Season 5 of Seinfled Disc 3 on my computer. The disc is in perfect condition and it plays perfectly fine in my PS3.

However it wont play in my computer nor will it be recognized.

It just says there is no disc in there. I tried other Seasons of Seinfled and other discs of Season 5 and they all work fine.

Why is this one disc giving me problems? Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DVD & a Computer, Why wont my computer recognize a DVD?

Hi S70driver,
The problem stems from the Sony Arccos protection (copy protection). [:@]It just happens that it affects that disc and not the others of the set. If you want to be able to watch it on your computer, then you will need a program such as AnyDvd (or similar program). At least that is what I read. They have a free trial version if you just want to see if it can fix the problem.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would follow01_fast_ride's advice; 01 & Axelm of Argentina are the two IT masters here but I haven't seen Axel lately, I hope he's doing ok.

Sony seems to have ruled the next-generation DVD specifications with its Blu-ray, just when I thought the company was going down the drain with its fiasco on the fire-attracting lap-top battery[8D].

JPN

Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

Hi S70driver,
The problem stems from the Sony Arccos protection (copy protection). [:@]It just happens that it affects that disc and not the others of the set. If you want to be able to watch it on your computer, then you will need a program such as AnyDvd (or similar program). At least that is what I read. They have a free trial version if you just want to see if it can fix the problem.
I have Cyberlink PowerDVD. It works fine for all other Seasons of Seinfled and other DVD's. Why is it affecting this one DVD in the series?

If it was a protection problem then it should affect and the DVD's since they are all protected the same. Unless they want you to think that and they really aren't.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM

When I googled your problem, I came across the little detail that Season 5, Disc 3 had the issue and not the remaining discs. I know, it's very odd indeed. Dvds in general have their standard copy prevention encoding, but the Sony Arccos was something new; something tougher. I got the same sort of effect when I first tried out my HD DVD/Blu-ray drive. I thought it was defective at first because the computer wouldn't acknowledge that there was a disc inside the drive. Using a 'third-party' software, like AnyDvd, will take care of the Arccos protection and you should have no problem with playback or what have you.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Ok how will downloading AnyDVD make my DVD drive recognize my DVD?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:23 AM

From what I understand the whole Arccos thing is based on 'confusing' the computer with bad navigation and unreadable sectors on the disc. Players don't have a problem with it because they only read the video files on the disc. Computer drives like to scan all of the folders and subdirectories. They can't resolve the unreadable sectors and dummy files that Arccos brings with it. That's where AnyDvd comes in. It will scan the disc and disable the protection. Disc 3 should behave just like any other disc.

AnyDvd runs in the background. It's not a media player. But as long as it is running you can use whatever player you like.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM

AnyDVD doesn't work. I downloaded it. Installed it and it doesn't do a damn thing. I refuse to pay for it.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM

That's disappointing. I just want to make sure we're both on the same page. Here's how I resolved my own issue.

1. Make sure AnyDvd is running. An icon will be in the system tray.
2. Insert the disc.
3. Wait a few seconds for the program to do its magic.
4. Open PowerDvd, choose the dvd drive and press play.

Is it a problem with playback, or recognizing in My Computer, or both? If you have any error messages, what does it say and which program gives the message? Have you tried other programs to play it (since installing AnyDvd) like Nero Showtime or Windows Media Player?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM

I works now...!!!

I played it in my PS3 and it worked. Played it in my 360 and it worked. Played it on my laptop and it worked.

Put it back in my desktop and it actually worked.

I didn't have AnyDVD installed either. I uninstalled it before I went to work at 6pm.

So it works now. Go figure.