Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Bank Of America

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank Of America

So maybe someone can enlighten me a little on this bank issue:

11/19/2007 - Mysteriously 5,950$ appear into my bank account
12/01/2007 - I get a call from the bank about my account, totally thought they wanted to let me know of the mistake, but they said to verify some purchases I made, so I told them.
01/01/2008 - Money is still in my account
02/12/2008 - Money is still here lol..

So Legally do I get to keep the money? lol Or should I call them and tell them they made a mistake lol? What do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Bank Of America

Take your statements and go in to the bank and explain they mistakenlymade a deposit into your account, and that you want them to fix it.

While it's fun to think they won't catch it eventually or that they will be nice guys and let you keep nearly $6K of their or someone elses money, the fact is they will catch it eventually, and you'll have to give it back, or pay it back (assuming it's withdrawn and spent).

Better to enjoy the thought, bite the bullet and just be straight with them,because the bank never loses, unfortunately.

Unless of course you decide $6K is worth leaving town and changing your identity over, lol!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell them about it right away. Because legally it isn't your money even if it is in your account. If you do spend it you can get in big trouble.

So tell them ASAP.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow, I'm so glad you found my money. I have been racking my brain now for months trying to figure out where it went. PM me and I will send you my account number to transfer the money to.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Possibly someone used a program like TurboTax or something and put the wrong account number in, which may have been yours and you ended up with their tax return? Just a thought?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM

heh I will tell them tommorow. Thanks for the input, until now I was planning on keeping the money , Fingers crossed everyone maybe they will let me keep it :P

Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Oh wow, I'm so glad you found my money. I have been racking my brain now for months trying to figure out where it went. PM me and I will send you my account number to transfer the money to.
Jim always pins me down onto the floor withexquisite sense ofhumour.

Yes I agree with everyone's opinion. There is no free money andsomething like that would eventually bite you in the south-end unless you tell them what happened.

JPN

Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

JimKW is that the $5950 that you owed me?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

RUN RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!

Just kidding give it back.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

My other funny was going to be: Unless it's enough to transfer to a Swiss bank account and leave the country you better tell the bank.

Banks do, on occasion, make mistakes though, and there is a slim chance they will never know where the money went. I had it happen to me once, but it was only like $100 and eventually I just kept it. I am an accounting type person and kept going over my account trying to find where I made a mistake, and finally determined it was their mistake not mine. This was years ago and I really don't remember the exact amount.

I'm thinking the bank will be looking pretty hard for $5,950 though.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an error, not a crime.
Put up an invisible barrier, an untouchable cushion.Leave it in your account. Don't ever even get near to it, balance wise. You have no idea that the error accured.What were we talking about?
Let it collect interest, just like they have charged you in the past, kind of like a reverse loan. Think of all the money you have paid in interest over time, if you have a mortgage. The bank is still way ahead of you.
If they don't discover it by the time you kick the bucket, Give it to your loved ones. Maybe they can use it for a down payment on something.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 PM

its a difficult choice, I mean like what justifies that they wont find it? a Year? 2 years? 6 months? 3 months? lol, Im leaning towards giving it back, but I am doing more research on it

thhanks for the feed back guys

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 AM

Results?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Hi again Gordon368,

I saw this article online over the weekend. While considerably more than the "paltry" $5,950 mistakenly put into your account, no doubt the end result would turn out the same, at least in principle. Nice to think about it for a while, but still best to take the statements to the bank and have them clear it up. The guy in the article below is facing serious time in the hoosegow!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/crime_error_dc

Bank error in your favor

Thu Feb 21, 10:33 AM ET
[/align][/align]
A New York man who discovered that millions of dollars had mysteriously appeared in his bank account, and withdrew more than $2 million, has been arrested on charges of grand larceny, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
Benjamin Lovell, 48, pleaded innocent on Tuesday to charges that he withdrew money from a Commerce Bank account that had been opened by someone with the same name, prosecutors said.
The account belonged to Woodlawn Trustees Inc, a Delaware property management company, and was listed under the name of its finance director, who is also named Benjamin Lovell, court papers said.
Lovell had just $800 in his own Commerce Bank account when he went to make a deposit, but a teller, mistaking the Woodlawn account for Lovell's personal account, told him that his account contained more than $5 million, prosecutors said.
Lovell made multiple withdrawals even though he knew that the money was not his, prosecutors said. He used the money to buy jewelry for his girlfriend and to make several investments, they said.
Commerce Bank and Woodlawn Trustees did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Legal Aid attorney representing Lovell could not be reached for comment either.
Lovell is being held on $3 million bail. He faces up to 25 years behind bars if convicted, prosecutors said.[/align][/align]

Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

That's pretty funny. I walk up to a teller and make a deposit, the teller says you have over $5M in your account, so you tell the teller to give me $2M now when you were there to make a small deposit. So they make me out to be the criminal. What the heck happened to the dumbass teller?

I'm thinking that it's not just that easy to take $2m out of an account even if it does have your name associated with it.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM

The teller isn't there to question every customer and their transaction(s) or account status and couldn't be faulted. The teller simply told Lovellthere was$5M currently in the account and probablydid soonly after beingaskedwhat hiscurrent account balance was. I've never experienced a teller blabbing anything about my or anyone elses account in all my years of going to the bank. They only respond to comments / questions directly put to them.

Thatmistake of putting the money in the wrong acccount was made further up the ladder, and the bank probably took action against that employee that made the mistake, but we'll never know either way. I have heard that bank employeesthat make2 mistakes in a given period (like 3 months?) are fired. For a $5M mistake they might only give them one strike?!!

Lovell's first mistake was not to 'fess up right away to saythe moneywasn't his. The bank errordidn't giveLovell the right to take any of the money out of the account, or to spend it, hence his current dilemma. The bank will resolve their problem internally,and the legal system will take care of Lovell for taking what wasn't rightfully his.

Business Law speaks to contracts and such with the ability to correct for something determinedto be a "mistake", but there is no mistake in what Lovell did... he stole the money.As JPN said earlier, no such thing as free money. Too bad, so sad for Lovell, when he thought it was going to befinders keepers...

Also, all banksare required toreportwithdrawals over $9,999.00 to the FBI.(This is because of the current drug lawswe have.) I suspect this Lovell guy got onto the FBI's radar screen pretty quickly when he went fromnot having much in his account to makinghugewithdrawals in a relatively short time.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
reg

.........might want to check the statute of limitations.................

I'm not going to give advice so don't ask.

r.