Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?

I thought I would start a thread on what cars you have owned in the past and what happened to them.

1978 Chevy Malibu (4dr) went to wreckers
1981 Dodge Omni (5dr) stolen and returned wrecked (went to wreckers)
1980 Dodge Omni 024 (3dr) traded for Nissian
1985 Nissian 200sx (3dr) sold to some kid with 320,000 kms
1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme (4dr) rear bumper fell (rusted) off (mech told me unfit for road use 2 years earlier) went to wreckers
1980 Chevy Malibu (2dr) Great car from Edmonton (no rust) paid 800 bucks sold to some kid for 350 bucks drove it for 5 years.
1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme (4dr) Car unfit for road use and sits in a parking spot at my building.
2001 Volvo S40 (4dr) sport.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?

1970 Ford LTD, traded with 125K on it for
1981 Ford EXP, sold when I got a company car
1984 Ford F100, bought when I needed a truck after I got married and took a different job and didn't have a company car anymore, traded for
1989? (not sure of exact year) Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra Coupe, had the FE3 suspension and the GM 3.8L V6 (still one of the best motors ever produced IMHO), sold it to friends daughter who really let it get to looking bad, bought
1987 Ford Bronco II (to pull boat that I had purchased), engine locked up 2 weeks after I had traded it for
1991 Jeep Cherokee, engine blew up 2 days after I had traded it for
1992 Chevy Blazer, full size, 2 door, kids got big enough that I had to trade it for
1996 Chevy Tahoe 4 door, which I still have, bought
2000 Toyota Camry in 2001 to drive until my daughter got her license, which she did in April, which is why I bought
2002 S60, which I am supposed to give to my son when he turns 16 in 3 years (YEAH, LIKE I'M GONNA LET HIM HAVE THIS CAR. DREAM ON LITTLE BUDDY!) Ended up buying him a
1996 850 GLT. Have my dads
1977 Corvette which we are in the middle of having for six years total while each child gets to drive it for 3 years. Dad likes to keep the fluids moving so he asked, no begged, no pleaded for someone to drive it at least once a week. The daughter is now at college and the son is not 16 yet so the wife and I took it out today for a spin.
Daughter totaled Camry so purchased
1996 Toyota Avalon.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 PM

You sure like trucks eh,

I had to laugh about your Bronco II. I knew a couple of guys who had one, POS.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: jks2
2002 S60, which I am supposed to give to my son when he turns 16 in 3 years (YEAH, LIKE I'M GONNA LET HIM HAVE THIS CAR. DREAM ON LITTLE BUDDY!)
lol haven't had many cars:

1987 Pontiac Fiero-> job got relocated to other side of mountain, it only lasted 5 days now it's dead parked in front of friend's house
1992 Ford Explorer-> hand me down from my dad, had 2 rebuilt tranny's had to start by flipping a custom built switch to turn the fuel pump on then had to use a knife to connect two electrical wires to get ignition.... it got broken into as it was waiting extinction in front of my house. sold it for $400 to neighbor... who inturn sold it for $800
2002 S60-> bought b/c Fiero(main car) crapped out.
2004 Yamaha R6 -> bought with money that work gave me b/c they "forgot" to account for my pay raise into a half years worth of hours... go retro pay!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1978 Plymouth Arrow (Blew it up once and put in a new motor then blew it up again Then went to junk yard Moving to Florida)[]
1980 Dodge Omni Hatchback Peice of junk went to junk yard after 2 weeks of owning it.
1980 Volkswagon Rabbit Deisel Killed it with 350,000 on it and went to junk yard.
1987 Toyota 4X4 P/U after blowing the headgasket and fixing it was never the same again sold it for $1600,00.
1984 Mercury Grand Marques Trans went out and sold it like it was.
1982 Volvo 240 was given to me I drove it for 2 years and sold it for $600.00
1987 Ford mustang 5.0 (Still have)
1984 Mercury Grand Marques The trans took a crap in that one to. Pulled the motor for the MUSTANG. Then junked.
1992 Mercury Grand Marques Drove it for about 1 1/2 years and trans went in that one to. (Still sitting in the driveway waiting to be sold)
1980 something Ford Probe GT (Night mare car The turbo engine was pulled out and a N/A engine was put in and it never ran right. Sent for scrap metal.

Finally I think that is about it.

Not to mention Demo Derby car.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 AM

72 or 74 MGB-GT. Sold to a British repair shop for parts...it was dying
78 Datsun 280 ZX. Sold for parts after a wreck. Went to avoid a lady that pulled out in front of me and hit a tree intsead.
89 Firebird Formula, 5-speed. sold for a car I could dive in the rain
99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Sold it for the R, something I put kids in. A guy from New York bought it for his kid.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Technically my first car was a 1961 ford falcon. i got it for free, and although it ran, and i drove it a few times, i was 14 or so. I sold it to a friend in high school who tubbed it, put a blown 351 in it, then killed himself street racing in it. since i never drove it legally, i dont count it.

First vehicle-1983 Dodge Mirada. got it in 1995, still have it, running mid 12s in the quarter
Second vehicle, first truck-1978 dodge D150. ran like a top for about 2 years, drove it in the winter instead of the mirada, and one nic winter day,i came around a turn at a pretty good speed, and there were three deer just standing there..that was th end of my truck.
Third Vehicle-1988 Chrysler Lebaron ragtop-got it when i went to college,it lasted me about 2 years, until the tranny went out. my dad still has it back home, and theyre about to begin redoing it.
Fourth vehicle--1991 Dodge Shadow-replaced the lebaron. it was wrecked when i got it, and much worse when i was done with it when i graduated. When i graduated and bought myslef my grad gift (see next entry) the dealership wouldnt even take my shadow, as it was so beat up, so i drove the shadow in the winter, or when i went out drinking, so i could just leave it there if i got drunk. It still runs like a top, but it wont pass PA emissions...[:@]
Fifth Vehicle, first new vehicle-2002 Dodge Stratus RT Coupe. Still have it, and ive had great luck with it. 55k, still on stock rotors.
Sixth Vehicle, second truck-1984 Dodge Ramcharger. i bought this for very cheap to drive in the winter, hopin that it would last a winter, and i still have it. when i moved, i loaded it down so much that when i hit bumps, the tires topped out in the fender wells, but it made it 500 miles loaded down, and i still drive it to haul stuff. It sits for literally months at a time, and fires up, and runs like its new...well, it runs really well for having over 200k on it.

Seventh Vehicle- 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. my gf and i got this as a toy, and it has turned into quite a project. it is not roadworthy yet...

I also have a few join effort vehicles. for instance, when i lived back home, my dad would often use my stratus, and i would often use his bmw. im almost positive that i put more miles on the bmw than he did, and when we go home to visit, i still drive it everywhere. also, when the mirada was having the new engine put in, i drove my parents 240 sedan for a couple months, as my mom was sick during the same time. i really liked that sedan, and they traded it on the wagon they have now, and i hate that one.

so the answer, where are all of my cars is: theyre either at my dads shop, or in my driveway!

Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the Bronco II's were bad about the oil in the bottom of the pan getting sludgy and since the oil pump was in the bottom of the pan it would clog up and BINGO there went the motor. Didn't realize how many truck SUV's I've had. But since I need something to pull the boat with, I've generally kept something of the truck type since 1989 when I got my first boat. Dad has a 1977 Corvette that he is allowing each grandchild to drive. My daughter just got her license and as soon as the weather gets better next spring we are going to bring it home for her to drive on occasion. Hmm, I may just drive it on occasion myself.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 PM

1987 Nissan Stanza - burned/exploded while driving
1990 Toyota Camry - old & sold
1994 Toyota RAV4 - Leased & returned
1998 Toyota Camry - Leased & returned
2000 Mercedes E200 Kompressor - Sold
2002 Toyota Avalon - Leased & Returned
2004 BMW X5 - Sold

Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 AM

Here's mine:

First: 1981 Chevrolet 3/4 ton, 4-wheel drive pickup. I bought this for $800.00 from a oil company. Drove it for 5 years, and hauled everything from hay, to horses, to rocks, to girls. My little brother took it over and drove it another ten years until he hit an elk with it and totalled it. It had over 300,000 miles on it when he killed it.

Second: 1980 Jeep CJ-5. I jumped the jeep, wheeled the jeep and generally pounded the hell outta the jeep for 3 years. Sold it when I took off to go study things at college.

Third: 1992 Ford Tempo. What a piece of crap. But it drove me to school and back a lot. (School was 800 miles away, by the way.) Actually, I kinda liked the car, but looking back I think it was pretty gay.

Fourth: Traded the Tempo on a 1996 Ford F-150, 4-wheel drive. (If there was one car I could have back, it would be this truck.) I fixed it upand drove the hell out of it. It was my baby. At the same time, I owned a:

Fifth: 1969 Ford F-100 Ranger, 2-wheel drive. My wife loved this truck. It was slammed down to the ground, had a 351 Windsor, and ran 12 second 1/4's. She still won't forgive me for getting rid of it for her:

Sixth: 1990 Toyota Carolla. She needed something that got some gas mileage, and the hot rod truck of hers wasn't cutting it. We eventually sold the Carolla to her folks and they're still driving it. It has 342,000 miles on it now.

Seventh: This came after my '96 F-150 when we moved across the state for a new job. I moved to "the big city" being Denver, Colorado, and decided I needed a car to be commuting with. So Number Seven showed up. It was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. Actually, it was a pretty nice car. It was comfortable, quick, and had some really cool red guage lights at night. Not a bad car, but nothing too awesome. I traded the Grand Prix for:

Eighth: A 1998 Toyota 4-Runner. The 4-Runner looked cool, was comfortable to ride in, could go to the hills camping and 4-wheeling, but even with the 3.0 liter six-cylinder, it was incredibly under-powered. I don't miss this car much at all. While I had this SUV, I sold the wife's Carolla to her parents. For Christmas, I bought her a:

Ninth: 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4-wheel drive pickup. I got a large insurance settlement after a work injury i suffered. With part of that money, I decided that wifey should have a decent, new vehicle. Bought the Dodge brand new, put a big-***, corny, red bow on it, and parked it in the driveway the day before Christmas. About four months before I was trading for the Dodge, I swapped the 4-Runner for:

Tenth: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. This car completely rocked!! I could hardly keep tires on it, just because it was so much fun to make smoke with them. I ran off and left a ton of little rice grinders with the girl. But, alas, winters in Denver bring much snow, and the Camaro just wasn't good for that, so I traded her for:

Eleventh: 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I spent a ton of money on the Jeep and had it really kicking some ***. It could wheel, rock climb, mud, commute to work, and then clean up to go out on a Friday night. I am presently kicking myself hard in the butt for getting rid of the Jeep. But, my job gave me a company car with a very liberal policy about driving it on my time off. So I sold the Jeep so I could take care of some other obligations. Just about the time I got that all taken care of, I got a different job assignment, and lost the company car. So, I bought the:

Twelfth: 1991 Ford Ranger XLT 4-Wheel drive. I paid $2000 for this truck, and got it from an old preacher. Even though the truck is 15 years old, it only has 60,000 miles on it, and is very clean and drives just fine. Nothing real fancy, but it takes me to work and back. Same time I got this truck, I traded wife's Dodge for:

Lucky # 13!: Wife's 1999 S80 T6. This car completely rules! It is the smoothest riding, quietest, best car I have had. I'm a little concerned about some of the S80 issues, but I think that the car itself outweighs the problems it has. We'll see how it goes... Oh! Forgot to mention.....I bought it with only 40,000 miles on it. Traded the Dodge and $1000.00 and the S80 is all mine...... No car payment, and I have a haul-***, nice Volvo.....

There ya go!

Laters,

Chris

Old 12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
S90

Most of them are either Soda Cans or the siding on your house....but I do know that my 1971 Saab is still running around the city with about 300,000 miles on it. I see it a couple of times a year near the airport...

Old 12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

300,000? wow...im guessing that it was well maintained?

Old 12-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1995 Volvo 850 n/a, we sold it to a friend of ours.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 AM

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Haha, it's true though! PICS PEOPLE... COME ON!! I'm a pic *****, eh patrick?

Okay, here we go.
1. 1985 Corvette: caught on fire (transmission line burst, exhaust lit the fluid)
2. 1994 Trans Am: sold it locally, I see it all the time! Fast bloody car...
3. 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD: this car was the devil... I sold it and lost thousands of dollars. I didn't care -- was just happy to be rid of it.
4. 1995 GTI VR6 (CL conversion): sold this car... it broke my heart. I LOVED it... but I needed something that would get me through winter
5. 1995 Camaro Z28 w/ 1le special performance pkg: still own it, although it's for sale. Only made 106 of these things in '95
6. 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro: still own this one, it's my baby!

EDIT: my God... talon pic stand out like a sore thumb, much? haha... I like to tell people I was drunk, when I handed over the cheque for that car.

Pics: bad night for the corvette...

Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

what is incorporated into the performance package in the 95 camaro?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 PM

It starts with weight reduction... standard equipment (like AC) was deleted... the car has cloth seats, no t-tops, manual windows and door locks... no fog lights (all z28's have fog lights)... anyways, it is a lot lighter than a regular Z28... then you add bigger swaybars, control arms, panhard bar, beefier transmission mount, oil cooler, stiffer springs, re-worked valving in the shocks, and a modified intake... That is the 1le package. It is pretty sweet. Car pulls .9 on the skidpad, which is damned impressive for a car with a solid rear-axle. It's a lot of fun!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM

I like your idea of pics, I dont think I have pics for all of the cars I owned but I will see if i can find some.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Cool Thread!! Boy where do I start?

1. 1979 Dodge pickup rust bucket, blew the moter when I was 17.
2. 1979 Mustang 302, ran for 3 years, tranny went.
3. 1974 Dodge Duster, slant 6 winter beater.
4. 1984 Ford Tempo Sport, winter beater/college car - traded in.
5. 1989 Ford Probe Turbo, fun car ran great - traded in.
6. 1994 Ford Ranger reg cab 4.0 5 speed leased new, gave back at end
7. 1995 Mustang GT demonstrator, all options, another good car, no problems traded due to winter driveability.
8. 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, OK car but had a couple of issues and sold to buy house at the time.
9. 1997 Saturn SC1, excellent car, cheap and never put a wrench on it. Wanted something bigger.
10. 1993 Nissan Pickup - second vehicle, tough as nails but rust got it in the end!!
11. 2003 Honda Accord - traded after 2 years was in for warranty work 12 times!!
12. 2004 Honda CRV good vehicle but payments were killing me
13. 1997 Cavalier - second car, excellent runner, very cheap transportation.
14. 2002 Olds Alero 3.4 still have it, has been excellent so far.
15. 2000 Ford Explorer XLS, second car, had for 2 months biggest POS I have ever owned, traded on...
16. 2001 S80 T6, so far so good.......

Someone ask me about my list of motorcycles, it is just as long!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM

I had a MB ml430 once, it was a total wrecked when a big tree had fallen directly to it. So, I have to sell some of my Mercedes ML430 parts that are still in good shape... Then I bought a Volvo with my income and money that I earned in selling those parts ...

Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM

1983 Cutlass, 489,xxx miles - yard
1993 Chevy Van 20 - some old guy
1987 Buick Grand National - currently own, it's in a storage unit
2001 Monte Carlo SS - sold to cousin, he sold for 5 series
2003 WRX - wrecked and sold to rally co; not my fault
2004 STi - wrecked and sold to rally co; my fault
1993 Olds 98, 200,000 miles - gave to buddy
2004 STi - currently own
1997 Volvo 850 T5 wagon - currently own

Nick

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?