Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

GAS PRICES!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS PRICES!!

WHAT THE HE-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKSIS GOING ON? CHEAPEST GAS AROUND HERE IS $3.40ish / GALLON FOR THE CHEAP STUFF! I DON'T WANNA NEGLECT THE S80 AND PUT MIDDLE GRADE IN AND THE MUSTANG ONLY RUNS PREMIUM WITH THE MODS I HAVE DONE TO IT. AT LEAST I STILL HAVE THE TRUCK TO PUT 87 OCTANE IN

Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: GAS PRICES!!

Regular is $3.25 here.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Killa Cam

WHAT THE HE-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKSIS GOING ON? CHEAPEST GAS AROUND HERE IS $3.40ish / GALLON FOR THE CHEAP STUFF! I DON'T WANNA NEGLECT THE S80 AND PUT MIDDLE GRADE IN AND THE MUSTANG ONLY RUNS PREMIUM WITH THE MODS I HAVE DONE TO IT. AT LEAST I STILL HAVE THE TRUCK TO PUT 87 OCTANE IN
You could run your S80 on regular/mid-grade until the gas price comes down. The ECU would adjust the ignition timing IAW different octane rating fuel. If, however, you notice knocking/pinging, switch back to premium. Consistent knocking can damage the engine and that's when you need to unload the engine by turning off the A/C, drive in lower gear, etc...

JPN

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been $3.49 here all week, but I saw it yesterday for $3.26. I commute 60 miles a day round trip and gas prices are killing me.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW

It's been $3.49 here all week, but I saw it yesterday for $3.26. I commute 60 miles a day round trip and gas prices are killing me.
I just started a 60 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. I haven't run out of gas in my first week yet, but...

I was used to a tank of gas lasting 2-3 weeks at my old job. With the new job I will be gassing up every week.

So I was around $100 a month for gas, now it will be $200 a month for gas.

Ugh.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Thank goodness I live 5 miles from my work and the ole lady just started a new job only about 1 mile away. I keep hearing that the prices aren't supposed to go down anytime soon around here. In fact, they are saying to expect over $4.00 / gallon for 87 octane come spring/summer [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

EDIT: Looks like it's time to buy another bike! 50 MPG on my last bike (Yamaha R6). Although, this is what happened on my last bike. Keep in mind this is after 5 days in ICU:

Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
JPN

My God you could have killed yourself[:@].

I can only think of getting a man-powered bicycle. It would be safer and you can get exercises when you're on your way to work. ∞ miles/gallon.

JPN

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
reg

There is a concern in running regular in a vehicle that enjoys premium besides the obvious issues. Generally speaking, regular does not have the amount of additives that premium has. So you will have to add a can of Techron or similar product. The cost of the product probably will cost as much as the 20 cent increase in price from regular to premium. Interestingly the cost of regular in New Jersey hovers around the $3.00 mark and the fuel is not self serve..ie: you have it pumped for you just like in the old days. The difference is however that the fellow pumping the gas does not speak English and is probably an illegal.

r.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 PM
JPN

And I speak English & was always impeccably legal whilst in the U.S (U.S high-school diploma, finished 2 Bachelor's degrees + 2 federal certificates + over 30 American friends) but got kicked out in the end. Something ain't right in this world, besides gas price[8D].

JPN

Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 AM

$3.14 for regular here in Bozeman, Montana. It does suck, but at least we aren't as bad as Germany, which last I heard was around $7.00 a gallon. I tell this to myself everytime I have to fill up, and it makes me feel a little better. lol.........though last year at this time prices dropped as low as $1.90 a gallon.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
reg

JPN.........I wish you had some idea of the number of cases over the years that I have been in trial and the plnt's in these civil cases who are bringing litigation are illegals. New Jersey simply does not care and the courts have to provide an interpreter to the illegal so as to protect his rights. I am in Jersey City this week and the plnt' has been in the U.S. for 43 years.....never had a job............never learned English..............all services provided free by the govt' such as health and provisions................here in the states illegally from Central America.....and suing a health provider because he feels he did not receive "quality" health care..........free of charge!

I understand your concern as a one time tax paying and self supporting individual. Rotten isn't it?!

Oh well, back to the forum discussion..............

r.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 AM
JPN

Thank you Reg......

BTW, it is not only the gas price that is suffering due to high oil price but everything else also has been suffering; food, bills, model cars ([:@]), etc....

I'd like to know where the money is going to because of the high oil price[8D].

JPN

Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
reg

JPN, I can tell/inform you why the essentials have risen so dramatically in price........it is because the farmers are growing corn...............not for human consumption but for...gasp...ethanol. What has occured is that the farmers are not planting their usual crops simply because there is such a tremendous demand for corn to be converted into 'gasoline'. What that means is that wheat is not being grown................raising the price of wheat to be milled into flour which is reflected in the price for either 5 lbs of flour or the huge increase in the cost of a loaf of bread. Since the 'corn' farmers are raising the crop for the refinery, they are not selling corn to the beef farmers nor the dairy guys and so there is a premium for them to buy the necessary corn for their herds and that is reflected in the price to the consumer for dairy products (milk) and the cost of a pound of ground round. You can take it from there.

The truly cruel part of all this is that ethanol makes for a lousy fuel that has about 25% less ability for MPG.............which says one must buy more gallons............which is expensive to refine...............so where is the savings?? There are none. Now if the U.S. would quit quibbling about drilling for oil off shore, we would have plenty of fuel..........for now. Unfortunately however no-one wants their shores 'dirtied' and we would rather let the Arabs soil their own land yet blame them for the price increase (forget about the declining value of the dollar).

Nuff said??

r.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM

To return to the original topic, premium on the central coast (CA) is very near $4.00 a gallon ($3.89 at the moment to be exact).

Old 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Well we dropped down slightly to $3.27 / gallon on 87 octane

Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 PM

$3.129 for the cheap stuff.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 AM

Central MA - 3.09 gal 89 octane.

By the way, with diesel WAY over $4/gal, EVERYTHING goes up in price because of transport...

my company charges $3 fuel surcharge on all deliveries now.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

China's new thirst is only going to get worse.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:29 AM

I had to run down to see family in Cleveland this past weekend. I bought gas on the outskirts of Toledo as it's cheaper there than in Detroit/Ann Arbor or in Cleveland.

I paid $3.499 for 92 octane, mid grade and regular were a dime cheaper respectively. I was shocked to see diesel was $4.099... yowza.. how does the trucking industry stay alive like that?

Reg, great post on the corn issue, it is very bizarre, isn't it?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
reg

Unbelievablebut it takes more energy to create a gallon of ethanol than the energy output of that one gallon. We are being snookered into believing that ethanol is the answer whereas the realities of that equate to higher prices for milk (dairy products) flour (wheat products) meat and poultry as the farmers are growing corn for ethanol rather than to feed livestock and are converting wheat fields to grow corn. So now we have major shortages in that area. Combine that with the falling dollar and the cost from OPEC for a barrel of oil is sky rocketing!

So now we are seeing on this thread the cost of a gallon of petrol in different areas of the U.S. and that cost is rising proportionately with the cost of bread, milk, and meat.

The cost of a gallon of regular in Newark N.J. is just over $3.00. I wonder what a gallon goes for in Alaska???

r.

Quick Reply: GAS PRICES!!