Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Have You Caved? Heated Dwelling or Ice Box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Have You Caved? Heated Dwelling or Ice Box?

So how many of you living in states that get cold have turned your heat on or are still holding out till the last minute?

I personally have yet to turn my heat on. I am trying to hold out till November. So a few more days and I should be turning my heat on. But that may change who knows.

And yes my dwelling is an ice box right now. Even with the windows closed and the A/C unit covered up.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Have You Caved? Heated Dwelling or Ice Box?

I had to turn mine on last night for the first time. It was in the mid to high 40's here lastnight.
Tonight we are supposed to set records.
Even right now at 1:00 it is still only 58 outside.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 AM

We are actually right now in unseasonable temps. It is in the 40's and with the wind it feels like it is in the high 30's.

I'm holding out till November 1st at the least.

My last electric bill was $40 less then the previous. So I want to keep a low bill through Winter which isn't going to be easy.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we just purchased a Gas Fire Stove(40,000 btu's), and we also have a fire place. So hopefully those will offset the costs a little.We turned on the heat since early October...

Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM

I held out here in Michigan until it got pretty chilly earlier this month, and then broke down and turned the heat on. But, only turning it up to 65 where we used to keep it at 68-70 in past years. Guess my answer is both!... heated dwelling, and still an icebox

Price of LP for heating fuel went through the ceiling this year so doing all we can to keep the darned furnace from running. Recaulked all the windows this year, bought some cheap insulated drapes to put up on the patio doors, put up an insulated storm door on the front of the house, all in an effort to keep the gas man away!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM

I will be keeping the heat at 60-65 only throughout Winter. No higher.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 AM

I've been using mine off and on since the beginning of the monththen again here in Montana it has been in the teens and 20's at night I turn it off when we're gone for the day, and keep the thermostat set at 63 when we're home. Our bedrooms are upstairs so that makes things better at night.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Last night here it was 37 outside my back door. The News said it was only 47 but I know my thermometer is accurate.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM

I might have to cave in two days before November.

It is literally an icebox.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Chicago, it's been in the 40's, but on Friday it will be 67. Go figure.

I caved in and started it. My wife gets sick very easily when it's cold. I even had to take her to the ER because of the nasty wind this weekend hitting her and giving her a bad earache.

We built our house with every single energy-efficient option imaginable, so if you set it to 67 or so, it comes on maybe once an hour. I struggled to pay for those features because I knew in the long run it would save on energy costs.

That being said, I refuse to work 12 hours a day and freeze my *** off in my own home. It's the only luxury I give myself these days

We have this donation thing on our bill where you can donate money to pay for people who can't afford gas. I do it. I think everybody should. I can't imagine what seniors and people that have children go through that can't afford to heat their homes. It disgusts me when I hear about our gas company cutting service to a few thousand people here and there. They did it a couple of weeks ago and alot of people dropped them as a gas company since somehow here in Chicago you have a choice. I think its subsidized somehow. I dunno.

There is something wrong with a system that allows seniors to live in freezing temperatures after working their whole lives contributing to a system that should take care of them in retirement. It's wrong. Maybe after this election, that will change.

When you have to choose between heat, food, water or medication, I have a problem with that, especially with the elderly.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:49 AM

Hey tech, 37 in Orlando? Yeeowww... you guys must freeze your cahonas off when it gets that cold down there!

I even looked into heating with wood this winter, because I have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of dead ash trees on my property. But every solution we looked at is over $6,000 to install, or to retrofit. Unfortunately I have a prefab wood burning fireplace andcan't put an insert in it because it won't support the weight. To tear it out and replace with a heat producing insert, or to put a woodburning stove in the basement are all big bucks. Also looked at an add-on wood furnace system to use with the existing duct work but can't vent that solutionbased on the layout of the house (the chimney would have to go through the master bathroom and my wife had a problem with that.. go figure).

Guess we're destined to keep the heat on low and huddle arounda candle for the winter. On the bright side, keeps mama close by all evening

Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I’m still trapped in Japan so I may not be an appropriate candidate on this thread but here goes:

It has been a warm October but this morning it felt cold. I turned the heat on (electric air-conditioner). The heat function actually consumes more power than the A/C, so I try to be as miserly as possible. I also installed aftermarket optical-catalyst filters + crushed carbon filter. While the two layers of filters add some drag to the intake, the exiting air is really clean.

Considering getting sick which means a few days off of work, I'd rather spend $ on the electric bills.

BTW, whatever has happened to global warming?

JPN

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Yes chilly here!!!
37 again this morning. But looks like it is going to be in the mid 60's tomorrow morning!!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

A heavy frost in the NE of England this morning with the water in the birdbathfrozen. Some parts of the UK had snow lying yesterday and some of those areas had not had snow in October since 1934.

BTW, whatever has happened to global warming?
It became 'climate change' when people like us asked questions about the non-appearance of the continuous sunshine and droughts that were predicted. Politicians can wriggle out of anythingby changing a few words.

huddle arounda candle for the winter
During WW11 my parents heatedour Anderson air raid shelter with a candle under an upturned plant pot. On really cold nights they even used two. It is amazing the heat generated once the pot warms up. For the youngsters who don't know about the Anderson shelter see: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...r/shelters.htm.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 AM

I have made it to November without turning my heat on! Helps when you go home on the weekends, LOL.

I have a feeling I may not need it for another week or two.

Daytime temps lower 50's to mid 60's and Nighttime temps upper 30's and 40's. At least for the next week.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 AM

I feel the same way there HummerGuy, hopefully this will be a light winter. It's been in really cold in the morning, but luckily the heated seats kick in before I get too cold -i asked the dealer to put them at the Max setting.... and WOW it gets really hot lol.... Is it possible to burn yourself lol...

Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Hi gordon368,

not sure about burning yourself from the heated seats, but certainly be careful so as not to roast your chestnuts, hehe! I have a Pontiac Grand Prix (my wife drives the Volvo).The seat warmer is way too hot when it is set to highin that car too. After a couple of minutes if I forget to turn it off I end up withsweat running down where it shouldn't, you can fill in the blanks.

Thanks for the info and link on the Anderson shelters, that was very interesting! I'll need to look more into the candle with the upturned plant pot.

My wife and Iwere out of town for the weekend, and it being fairly mild here in Detroit, I turned the furnace down to 55, and turned the hot water heater off completely to avoid using any LP Gas while we were gone .

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 PM

In Montana it is illegal for the gas/electric company to cut off the heat between the months of November and March

Old 11-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Argentina the lowest price for a company owned company operated site (not a dealer) it´s 2.65 pesos per liter. That would be USD 3.02 per gallon.