Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

How to make a Luther Burger! And LIVE! (pics 56k) All fat kids need look!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a Luther Burger! And LIVE! (pics 56k) All fat kids need look!!

This story was inspired by my Advanced Public Speaking Class. The second speech of the year was a 10 minute speech and I just felt like doing something waay different. I often find myself doing things that seem odd to others but thats another story.

Onto the story.

How to make a Luther Burger! And LIVE!

The speech I decided to do was simply named “The Luther”, which is rumored to have been invented by legendary R&B singer Luther Vandross. There are a few variations of its construction but a Luther Burger is essentially a hamburger with cheese and bacon served with a Krispy Kreme doughnut for the bun. Sounds crazy doesn’t it? Yea, tell me about it.

Name:  siloueette.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  23.5 KB

I knew it would be difficult but I wanted this to be a “healthy” as possible. Actually it seems damn near impossible doesn’t it? hahaha. I knew I couldn’t take fat off a doughnut so I figured I would buy lean beef and beef bacon instead of normal chuck and pork. I personally love beef bacon and advise you to try it. It’s like pork bacon but none of the stigma associated with it. All the bacon, none of the guilt , yay!

I choose Swiss cheese because it tends have a sweeter taste and provolone to be different. Keeping along line of being different I decided to complete my combo meal by making sweet potato chips. That’s right; thinly sliced, salted, fried sweet potatos, word. I had something special in mind for the doughnut but I’ll get to that later. Even though it was 41 degrees outside I figured the only proper way to prepare this would be oven an open flame grill. Sorry Foreman grill, you’re gonna have to sit this one out.

Name:  100_5165.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  78.4 KB
Name:  100_5167.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  74.8 KB

I combined all my ingredients for the burger, molded the patties and set them in fridge for about 45 mins. After that I placed them on the grill, 1st rack about medium low temp. I let them sit in there about 15 minutes. *NOTE: be careful on the size of your burger. It will shrink when it gets on the grill. Try to make them a lil flat and wide.

Name:  100_5169.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  84.7 KB
Name:  100_5170.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  76.8 KB

While the burgers cooked I decided to reinvent the bun. We all know how delicious and sticky Krispy Kreme doughnuts are but the thought of me having to get that all over my hands while I ate the burger was just not cool. To avoid this sticky mess I decided to cut the doughnut in half and use the flat side as the top and bottom of the bun. Brilliant!

I go back outside put my bacon on the grill, a few minutes later I place the cheese on the burgers and move them up one rack on the grill and away from the heat. While the cheese is melting place the doughnut on the grill flat side down until lightly toasted. Now not only do avoid get sticky fingers you also have a lasted bun. Word.

From here place bun on plate, burger on bun, add 2 strips of bacon and top off the burger with the other half of the doughnut.
You don’t need to add anything too it, no ketchup, no mustard. Just enjoy.

Name:  100_5176.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  52.1 KB

So what Did I think?

Name:  100_5177.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  61.9 KB
*notice the closed eyes for enhanced taste sensation

My initial taste was quite awkward. I think my taste buds went into shock. The combination of sugar, grease and salt was something they never expected. I stepped back and looked at it. I was unsure of what just happened. I decided to try it again. A wave of favor swept over me in a way I never thought possible. The only way I could describe it is…..

is….

hmmm……

I got it!
It felt like I was eating a party, and everyone was invited. Hahahahaha

New Guy had one and he looked as if he went blanked out for a second while chewing (pic). Hahaha. My mother had a piece and she enjoyed it as well.

Name:  100_5181.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Default RE: How to make a Luther Burger! And LIVE! (pics 56k) All fat kids need look!!

Oh and just to point out. I pulled the nutrition facts from a few fast food places and compared it to the Luther. I think you’ll be surprised. I calculated the Luther’s nutrition facts by adding up the values of its combined ingredients.

Luther Burger Ingredients
• Lowerys season salt
• 1 egg
• Handful of plain Oatmeal
• Kosher Salt
• Ground black Pepper
• Splash of liquid smoke
• Garlic Powder
• Beef bacon
• Krispy Kreme doughnut
• Sweet potato
• All seasoning is to personal preference.

Name:  facts.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  102.4 KB

To my friends with diabetes or hypertension, I would strongly suggest against this.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to make a Luther Burger! And LIVE! (pics 56k) All fat kids need look!!

Dang you, for posting such tasty looking food. I'm starving right now. Thanks for the post. I may have to try it out once it warms up a bit (16 outside right now).

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 AM

looks great! I was about to make breakfast, but may need to dig into the freezer now. Thanks for the post, great pics by the way.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent write-up withdetailed descriptions & photos. I think you should be an author or technical writer for food industry. What made me laugh, though, was the following:

*notice the closed eyes for enhanced taste sensation

Advertisement industry may be looking for you too.

Lately it is difficult to know what's right to eat other than veggie & fruit, because all good foods contain substances we don't want. I just got a health check-up report and it said "You are overweight, try losing weight". I am about 6-foot tall and weighs about 160lbs. I'd better stick to that veggie & fruity strategy from now on (like it's gonna happen[8D]).

After watching "Supersize Me", I've been staying away from fast food places, which I never bothered much anyway.

Two thumbs up on your post!

JPN

Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A doughnut burger. Sounds pretty good. Add some Duff beer and I think Homer Simpson would approve.

I have not had very good luck with deep frying sweet potatoes though. I get them at work occasionally and like them, but they get very soggy or burnt when I try to make them.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! BURP!Excuse me.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Um yuck. I wouldn't touch that ever. That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. Blah

Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM

kind of funny you posted this. My girlfriend just sent me an e-mail 2 days ago telling me that Paula Deen made that on the food network. I'm glad this post provides a first-hand account of how it actually tastes. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever be able to try it though [:'(]

Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intestinal Clot !