Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

A Kid Hit My 960 And Ran...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default A Kid Hit My 960 And Ran...

Thursday night (9:30ish) I was watching a NBA playoff game and I heard my door bell. It was one of my neighbors that I had never met in 2 years. He said that some kid had hit my car and I needed to come out and check it out. When I went outside, sure enough my 960 that was only parked on the street for 2 days was smashed.

My neighbor told me that the kid hit it and ran. He jumped in his truck and tracked him down (he had turned the lights off on the golf cart). He then followed the kid home and called the police, all this before he came and got me . So, he told me that the police was on the phone and waiting for me, then asked if I would like to ride with him in his truck to go deal with the police and the kid. So I put on some outside pants and went to meet the cops.

Long story short, the kid claimed he did not hit the car but after a few trips back and forth from their house to mine he finally confessed. The damage comes to $1,577.87.

-------------------------------------

-----------------------------

Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ouch sorry!!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks big time

Old 05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, that Blows!! How old was this "kid"? Oh,that sucks... That green color will be hard to blend when they do paintwork.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
man, that Blows!! How old was this "kid"? Oh,that sucks... That green color will be hard to blend when they do paintwork.
He is 14. I also have some damage on top of the car from my daughter. I was scheduled to have her damage fixed this week and then this happened. I may have to kick in a few more $$$ to have the entire thing painted.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be kicking in more than a few to get the whole thing painted. Who is going to pay for the damage the kid did?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM

How do you manage to do that in a golf cart?!?! It's not like they go fast and you have to swerve...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

I think golf carts go about 25 mph??? He had just did a down slope right before he hit my car. My neighbor said he was texting.

Before we parted ways that night, his dad signed a statement accepting responsibility for the damage and I put in the statement that they would pay for his damage with 60 days. The police officer signed it as a witness.

Some of it was going to be painted anyway, from the damage that my daughter did. So, with the damage from both of these teens, about 40% of it was going to be painted anyway. Shouldn't be more than a few hundred to finish it off since so much of it was already being painted.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Bummer. I would go ahead with the full paint job, if the price isn't too steep.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Texting while driving? I was on a school bus that got rear ended by a 90's Civic b/c a senior was texting. It was slightly hilarious.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Dropped my 960 off at the shop today. Still no $$$ from the kid's dad but he did call me today. Asked the shop to give me a new price for all the work that will be done. Add for a new windshield and total paint job. I hope to know the new price tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

My guess is $4,000.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

That's my guess as well. Then I need to drop new rubber all the way around. Another $800+. I'll be into this thing for about 5 large by the end of the month. I tried to talk my wife into selling the thing as is for about $2k. That would be like getting $7k for the car in the past 3 months. I'm still shaking my head NO. Car only books for $5k and I know I could replace it for $4k. I feel stupid.

I must say that it is a very smooth car. Will be spotless again when I get it back, the inside is like new. My daughter drove it to the shop and she had to call me after driving it for about 5 minutes, explaining to me how smooth the car is. She has been driving the S70 GLT.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Administrator

So I dropped the 960 off at the body shop Tuesday and the place looked like a line at Burger King during lunch, several people there trying to get at the main guy. So I gave him the key and he explained that he had several people to help and it might take 2 weeks to get the car back to me. I tell him no problem, it was an extra at this point. He said we may start the body work before then but 2 weeks was what he'd expect.

So, I stop by the shop yesterday to see if he has a total price for me before he gets started and I don't see my car where it was put Tuesday. The first thing that came to my mind was "Man, they have someone driving around town in my car". So I get closer to the garage bay door and I see my car about 2 or 3 deep. I go over to it and they have ALLREADY fixed the body damage. Wow! I'm blown away. So I get down to see how straight the corner is, where the kid hit the back and I can't even tell it was ever damaged. I mean it looks perfect. So the guy is still working on the roof, they decided to try to straighten the roof instead of re-skining it. He said if it's not perfect they will re-skin it. Claims his standards are higher that anyone elses because the NEVER wants anyone to be able to say it was not 100% right or they were not 100% satisfied. I would not be surprised if they were not painting the car Monday.

I should have taken a few photos. It was incredible to see that they have done so much already.

BTW, he said my hood is not steel, it's alluminum. Strange but I guess they were trying to make it lighter.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Wow, Nice..... Sounds like a quick turn around time! They must be either slow or that GOOD! Good Luck with the car...Post pics after you take delivery.............

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

So they are working on it and you don't know how much it's going to cost? Or did they give you an estimate before starting the work?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator

They gave me an estimate. It was $3,600. Looks like it may come in lower but I asked about painting the entire car so it may wash.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
That's my guess as well. Then I need to drop new rubber all the way around. Another $800+. I'll be into this thing for about 5 large by the end of the month. I tried to talk my wife into selling the thing as is for about $2k. That would be like getting $7k for the car in the past 3 months. I'm still shaking my head NO. Car only books for $5k and I know I could replace it for $4k. I feel stupid.

I must say that it is a very smooth car. Will be spotless again when I get it back, the inside is like new. My daughter drove it to the shop and she had to call me after driving it for about 5 minutes, explaining to me how smooth the car is. She has been driving the S70 GLT.
If her S70 is like mine, then it has the sport suspension. It's finally grown on me to the point where I don't like driving a car that doesn't have sport suspension...though I do wish it could take the bigger bumps a little better...

since I'm the...inexperienced and ignorant teenager here...is $3,600 a good price for having that sort of work done? I wish I had that sort of quality service around here in TX.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Well, seeing how one place quoted me $4,600 on the damage that my daughter did, and another company said $2,200 on the damage that the golf cart left me, $3,600 is a steal for a good shop to do the work for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Awesome!!!

Quick Reply: A Kid Hit My 960 And Ran...