Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

MLK Day 2020 and the Article V Convention

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MLK Day 2020 and the Article V Convention

Hi, how are you? I trust well. Just recently joined the forum as I intend to start working on my car, I noticed this Off Topic thread and wanted to share some information.

Today in Washington DC there is a rally being held by folks who want to remove private money from the public policy process, ie. campaign finance reform. Knowing that nothing short of an amendment to the Constitution will break the current status quo, they are calling for the Article V Convention in order to formally discuss and propose what Congress has been incapable of doing since the Citizens United ruling about ten years ago.

The most common response to the idea of convoking the Article V Convention is that doing so will put the entire Constitution up for grabs amongst lobbyists and politicians. The failure in logic/reason regarding this fear, is that whatever delegates at the convention propose, the idea must still come back to the fifty states for ratification, and that requires 75%+ approval (38 states) before any changes occur. In other words, 3/4 approval is a principle which means that whatever the idea is, it must get all of one side of the political spectrum signed on, plus at least half the other--all the Republicans plus half the Democrats (or vice versa)--or it fails.

In terms of political science, as soon as a tipping-point of any society become aware of the same idea, it automatically spills over into the population at large. That means as soon as we get a tipping-point of Americans unafraid to formally discuss amendment language with fellow Americans, the Congress will issue the call, and in a natural progression of events consensus will be built around non-partisan amendments. Corporate slavery already takes place in various parts of the world, and if you think something like that won't happen in the USA, and that the politicians would never sell us down the river, you haven't been paying attention, and aren't aware of what history has already taught more than once.

I hope you can take this information with you, and when you hear family/friends complaining about policy/politicians, you can share the idea that maybe it's time for the Article V Convention in order to formally discuss what our nation can do about our do-nothing Congress.

Friends of the Article V Convention is the only non-partisan national group, and has the best repository of information: Page One

This is a report by the Congressional Research Service, ie, how members of Congress are taught to view the issue: http://www.foavc.org/reference/R44435_20171115.pdf

I've been a legal/political activist for this and have watched it develop for many years. We have more people than ever, ready and willing to enter into the process. If you have any concerns/comments/questions, I'll be here to reply. Thanks for your time and consideration.