Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Polestar Optimization $1,350 - why?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Default Polestar Optimization $1,350 - why?

I received an e-mail from my local dealer announcing a software update, they;ve named it the Polestar Optimization and it is available for most all vehicles.

They say it takes and hour and --- hold your hats -- it will cost ---

"Average Cost for the Polestar Optimization Software is only $1,350* (based on a new 2019 model)."

What the %#%#%#%! They disconnect the battery, attach a charger to the system and hook up other wires for the update. And then they sit there.

They expect me to pay $1,350 for the above? I don't think so and one more way to pick our pockets in the digital age.

"The Polestar optimization software is offered on every current Volvo model, in addition to many older Volvo models. Call the Service or Sales department to learn which model years and models qualify to receive this exciting upgrade! "

Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 PM

It's because it is a performance upgrade that adds power. Kinda like companies that offer an "ECM tune" for better performance- except this is fully backed by Volvo with regard to warranty and reliability.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T View Post
It's because it is a performance upgrade that adds power. Kinda like companies that offer an "ECM tune" for better performance- except this is fully backed by Volvo with regard to warranty and reliability.
Well what the heck are people wanting? I've found that my 2016 V60 turbo has power to spare. I've never had any issues with passing cars, going up steep grades, etc. For me to spend that kind of money on an ECM tune, it would have to be a life changer. I wonder if adding more power also adds more stress to the engine which equals a shorter life span.

I know over on Subaru forums they often talk about tuning. You also see subies that have chopped suspensions, street racers, etc. Don't see many Volvo's chopped and street racers.

I'm just so glad to be back in a Volvo I don't need any ECM tune.