Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Question for the VW guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the VW guys

My 82 VW quantum with the 1.7 liter gas engine over heated the other day. I initially thought maybe it was a thermostat stuck closed, but I am getting absolutely no water circulation. I took the hoses off the water pump and fired her up and got nothing. I have figured out the thermostat is located on the back of the water pump, but I would think that even if it was stuck shut I would still get a little water being drawn in or pushed out. Since it's snowing right now, it'll be a few days till I can replace the thermostat, but even then, could a water pump go out suddenly like this? As far as I can tell it's spinning freely, and from what I have gathered it's pretty rare for a thermostat to get stuck in the closed position. Any thoughts??

Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water pumps have a little "**** hole" and if you see coolant dripping from it, then it is usually needing to be replaced (somethimes the little hole is covered by the pulley). Not sure about the thermostat.....I would start by replacing the thermostat....then go from there.

Wait for others to reply....

Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM

I agree with TIPSP about starting with the thermostat first. How many miles are on the car? Have the parts in question ever been replaced before or are they original? I don't own a VW but I supppose an Audi is pretty close. I have heard that on my A4 sometimes the bearing in the water pump goes out or but I haven't had any problems yet ::knocking on wood:: The impeller seems to move easily with no "dead-spots" or anything? Had you noticed any coolant leaks or stains where you park?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 AM

no coolant leaks, it just boiled out the radiator cap. As far as I can tell the pump spins freely, the car has a broken odometer, but probably has around 175k on it. Now that its warmed up a bit I will get in there and change the t-stat and hopefully that will fix it.