Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Hey guys! Newb with a (hopefully) easy idle question...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys! Newb with a (hopefully) easy idle question...

First post here. Did a lot of searching on the forum, and I can't seem to find anything quite like what I'm experiencing.

Picked up my first Volvo a few days ago. It's a 99 S70 GLT with 233K mi on the clock. The former owner travelled cross-country for his job, so he drove it gently and maintained it fanatically. I'm a Euro-nut myself ('98 Audi B4 Cabbie, '00 MB ML55 ///AMG), and needed a solid, reliable winter car. So when I found this S70, I pounced.

To be safe, I immediately replaced all 4 rotors and pad sets, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and tires. All fluids (oil, transmission, and coolant) were flushed as well. I only have one issue. It's not major AT ALL. But I want the vehicle to be right and smooth. Tagging these little things right away is how you keep the vehicle running forever. So, here goes...

When the vehicle is cold, the idle is constant and smooth. But once I hit open circuit (coining a MB phrase, here. Don't know if open-circuit and closed circuit apply on this vehicle), the engine begins to do 2 kind of annoying things. First, the idle starts doing what I call a "snore." It rises and falls by about 200 RPM on about a 1-and-a-half second cycle. It's a LOT easier to see/hear this phenomenon when the vehicle is in P than it is when it's in gear. But if you listen really closely at a stoplight, you can hear the idle even and steady... then graaaaaduallllly (over about 20 seconds) evolve into that second-and-a-half pattern... up...down...up... down... And that brings up the second issue:

This car vibrates at a 800 idle frequency... like a reverberation almost. When the car is in P, it doesn't do this. It goes up and down on the tach, but you can't FEEL anything. Sitting at a stoplight in D, however... "V...v...V...v...V...v...V..." My wife even commented over the weekend that she can now understand why so many soccer moms drive Volvos...

My first thought was Idle Control Valve, maybe a split vac line. But the car doesn't want to stall. The idle just goes up and down, happy as can be. Never changes rhythm. Up and down. Turn the A/C on, the idle doesn't miss a beat. So, I thought maybe the car missed out on the ETM recall. But the ETM has a yellow sticker, and the former owner had documentation about the recall work being performed at 106K mi. It also doesn't have any of the other issues associated with a faulty throttle position sensor.

I'm at a loss, here. Any advice?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure if that car has the vac tree under the throttle body area but check that. Also, has the PCV system been replaced?