Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Tips to Keep Your PC in Good Shape

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips to Keep Your PC in Good Shape

*Keep your system clean, in and out. dust and dirt are the most common causes of overheating.
*Turn off pc monitors when its not in use.
*Always keep your pc running as long as possible.
*Perform check disk twice a week, If the check discovers several hundred errors, your drive could be full of bad sectors - you'd best backup your important data and then try to get it repaired.
*Get an anti-virus program.
*When your system clock starts losing time, Replace your CMOS battery.
*When opening a PC Case to conduct a repair dont forget to unplug your PC.
*Clean registry using a PC tool.

Apply this tips to ensure safety in your computers.

A user-friendly computer system is our benefits..Hope it helps!

__________________________________________________ _____
wasserbetten
personal finance

Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, stay off of strange websites.

Last edited by rspi; 07-02-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-30-2009, 06:06 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add more helpful info to your great write-up:

*Keep your system clean, in and out. dust and dirt are the most common causes of overheating.

This is more so with laptop. I use a can of duster spray and spray into the air inlet/outlet to blow accumulated dust out. I do this once a week. I also take my lappy apart once/6 months and do a complete clean-up. I do not recommend this unless you have knowledge & skills. Should the CPU overheats, the thermal compound is probably fried and needs to be re-applied. I use Arctic Silver thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler unit.

*Turn off pc monitors when its not in use.
This applies to conventional CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlight but may not apply to recent LED-lit displays. I have just converted my LCD from CCFL to LED. When your LCD gets pink after startup, it's time for a new CCFL tube. If it's completely dark, you need to replace either the CCFL tube or its inverter. Again, I do not recommend doing this yourself unless you know what you're doing.

*Always keep your pc running as long as possible.
I kind of disagree with this. The capacitors/condensers, as well as other electronic SMDs (Surface Mount Device) are susceptible to heat generated by the CPU and their lifespan may be shortened. However, I'd like to know as to why you recommend this.

*Perform check disk twice a week, If the check discovers several hundred errors, your drive could be full of bad sectors - you'd best backup your important data and then try to get it repaired.
Agreed. The average life of a HDD seems to be about 4 years. However, certain HDDs can die as quickly as one year.

*Get an anti-virus program.
I would go with a full package of internet security software that includes AV. I used to run Symantec Norton Internet Security but switched to ESET Smart Security with NOD32 AV.

*When your system clock starts losing time, Replace your CMOS battery.
These batteries seem to last a very long time. In my lappy, it's been running on the original battery and is 7 years old. However, I have a new battery just in case.

*When opening a PC Case to conduct a repair dont forget to unplug your PC.
And wearing an anti-static wrist band is a plus. Even after unplugging the PC, I wouldn't touch the internals of the power supply as capacitors/condensers may still be holding charge.

*Clean registry using a PC tool.
Agreed.

Impact, heat & liquid are the worst enemies to your PC. If you have laptop, you can find a cooler unit that goes under the laptop. I'm not sure as to desktop.

>Also, stay off of strange websites.
Indeed (how did you know BTW?). However, after a while you kind of develop instinct as to see if a site contains virus, Trojan horse, etc....

JPN

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL, "how did I know???" I fix computers as a side hobby. Some play golf, I do tech stuff.

Also, if you open your computer to work on it, and it's a laptop, pull the plug AND remove the battery, even if your installing ram, hard drive, etc.

Also add, When Cleaning the Display: Do not use cleaners like Windex or Glass Plus or stuff you would use to clean glass. The best thing to use is the stuff they give you to clean eye glasses. The liquid and the cloth. The same thing goes for your flat panel tv sets.

When using your laptop: Operate it on a hard surface. Don't set it on the bed, carpet, or other soft surfaces that will block the cooling vents under the unit. Heat is not good, keep it as cool as possible. Also, try to keep the vent ports and fan free of dust. I do not use the compressed air cans (a little concerned about the ozone) so I use a vacuum cleaner (be carful not to suck down keys off your keyboard).

Data Storage & Back-Up: Save everything you want in your My Documents or back files from certain programs up in the My Documents folder. Then BACK UP your My Documents folder once per month. The back-up can usually be done with 1 CD and the use of a simple pre-installed software like Nero or Drag & Drop, etc. The worse thing about computer failure is the loss of data.
If you want to be extra safe you can purchase another hard drive and CLONE the drive. The drive can be cloned with software that usually comes with a new drive. I try to clone mine once per month (also my method of back up). This will allow you to repair your computer in less than 30 minutes in the event your hard drive fails or you get a bad system infection (again with the strange website thing LOL).

Protect your plug on the back of your laptop: One of the big repairs for laptops is the rear plug socket. People trip on the cords, jerk them while moving the machine, and put other un-natural pressure on the outlet connector. They break inside the machine and the normal cost of repair is in excess of $350.

Best upgrade for speeding up your computer: The best way to upgrade your computer is to add RAM. To check the amount of ram you have in your computer do the following: Go START - CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM. Your System Properties box will pop up with your computer basic information. It will tell you the OS, Registered To, and the Computer basic speed hardware. If you are running Windows XP you should have no less than 512 MB of RAM, 1 GB is good (I'm running 2 GB). If you have Vista you should have no less than 1 GB of RAM, 2 GB is good.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

And if all else fails, reformat C:.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Default Hello

Wow its really quite interesting tips man thanks for sharing with us,,,,,

Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Cleaning your registry is not something that should be taken lightly. Most people have little software of any note on their PCs so it's no big deal.

But if you have high end software (like 3D design programs and Adobe suites) cleaning your registry with a PC 'tool' could cause some of these programs to STOP WORKING.

Why? Some cleaning tools will delete files that haven't been used/accessed in a while because they think the files are no longer 'needed'. If you have thousands of dollars in software on your PC there is a very good chance that you have not had the time to use/access a few of those programs in a while.

Just FYI.

Last edited by Squiggy; 08-13-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent tips, gents.

And if all else fails including formatting the C drive, well look for Tech or Axelm.

JPN