Penta Discuss Volvo Penta Marine Machines Within.

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

This is my first time on this forum. I have a 1992/1993 Volvo Penta 500B in a SSV195 Glastron with a DPC out-drive. The cooling system is an open freshwater system.This is the second time I winterized it. I'm not aware of this issue during the first time.

Have an issue where where the antifreeze drained or siphoned back and ran out of the out-drive. The out-drive was in the full raised position; cooling intake hose attached to out-drive water output fitting. The boat was sitting on the trailer fairly level. After running antifreeze through the engine I disconnected the antifreeze "kit" from the water input hose to the engine and the out-drive water output fitting. A this point there was some antifreeze dripping which I wasn't too concerned about. I put the water input house on the out-drive output fitting and when I tried to put the hose clamp on it the clamp broke. Not having a new clamp handy, I left it like this overnight. The next morning the tray I placed under there had quite a bit of antifreeze in it. This is a tight location and I had to wrestle with the hose and clamp and during this time the antifreeze came out harder. I finally got it together and the flow slowly stopped. I was able to collect the lost antifreeze and it amounted to a little less than a gallon.

So my concerns are:
What caused this to happen?
Did getting the hose clamp on stop the flow or did it stop flowing because it reached a level where no more would drain or siphon out?
Do I need to attempt to replace the gallon that was lost out of the six used.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Understandably, talking with service people at marine shops this time of year has proven to be impossible.