Penta Discuss Volvo Penta Marine Machines Within.

Piston Problem Volvo Penta D6 310a

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Problem Volvo Penta D6 310a

I had a breakdown of a 2004 Volvo-Penta D6 310a where the crown of one of the pistons melted. There is no evidence of seawater leakage into the engine. Have you heard of this happening before?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Default RE: Piston Problem Volvo Penta D6 310a

post some pics
sounds like the inector went bad

Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM

We reported the issue with Volvo-Penta as a warranty claim. They sent a representative, without our consent or notice, and took several pieces of the engine to send to an injector shop to do an investigation. Hence, we couldn't take any pictures.[:@]

Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM

let us know
i'm on marinengine.com also as JUST-IN-TIME

Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM

The breakdown might have been caused by a faulty injector. Leaking diesel from the injector could have washed away the lubricating oil from the piston. Please keep us updated!

https://volvoforums.com/m_93662/tm.htm

Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Writing this from a Canadian Navy diesel shop. We are have a similar sounding problem with one of our D-6 310 hp units. pistons 1 and 6 melted crowns, gouged/scored cylinder, melting valve guides, 6000 hrs on this unit, have not tested the injectors yet and we have to find out if we have the required gear for this testing.
We had a severe blow-by problem because of the piston melting down, you should have seen the smoke!!! The high base pressures must have been pushing oil back up into the "air sep" unit and the air box and inlet manifold was full of oil and the turbo aswell of course.

Any one having similar grief?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi,
I have the same problem in Italy with one of the two D6 310 of my boat
They have less than 200 hours(!!) : I bought in july 2005.
We just tested the jniectors by an official Bosh technician and now we are sure that they are running good.
Therefore we must find an other cause
We are still investigating.....
Pls let me know if you have some...idea.
Thanks a lot in advance !!
max

Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM

You should really watch your Lube Oil level. There was a change from early engines not having a drain back valve in the breather line. If the engine was even slightly overfilled (see below) the oil would travel up the breather hose (choking the vent line) and enter the air box- then get sucked in. The effect of the oil hitting the piston would damage it.
Its normal to see oil there after the failure and think it was the result of losing the piston. Typically, you see the rise in base pressure that sends the oil up, but in this instance it was the culprit, not the cause. Kinda of a viscous circle really.

The issue of overfillingis a dipstick issue. I see D4's & D6's on a regular basis and my experience is the dipstick reads low, when things are actually alright.
Engines with little or no inclination, going by Volvo's spec of 5.3gal incl filters for a D6, will barely, show on the dipstick. This will play with your mind, telling you to add...thus overfilling it.
Its my opinion that you should follow the capacity, not the dipstick.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 AM

Hi Max&Chilcootsam,

I saw your topic and text you write. I thinks It was long time before.
I have same problem now with D6-370. It is about 300 hours. Especially 1&6 pistons are melting. Did you investigate anything about this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by bektasoglu; 08-26-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Default D6 370 piston metled

Hi All,
we have same case of D6 problem of 2 pistons are melted at it dome and combustion. I supposing to injector bad quality or oil press but at the time engine broken down, Oil press reading in range without any waring alarm come out! Injector , I have not tested yet!
Any body have same problem or advise to me. Thanks

PNCHANE

Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 AM

I have same problem. I sent the injectors to the Bosch Service Center. They tested and Injectors are all OK. I tested all equipments. Turbocharger, heat exchanger, coolers. but I couldn't find anything. If you have news, Please can you inform me? I will update when I learn something.
Originally Posted by pngchanh
Hi All,
we have same case of D6 problem of 2 pistons are melted at it dome and combustion. I supposing to injector bad quality or oil press but at the time engine broken down, Oil press reading in range without any waring alarm come out! Injector , I have not tested yet!

PNCHANE

Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Hi All,

PNCHANE
Hi Pnchane,

Have injectors been tested? Did you investigate anything about problem?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

I have a 6 310-hp Volvo Penta engine. They are more than two years old, 240 hours, at the beginning of the season with this boat. I first noticed this year, if I did not bring back my speed is very slow on my port engine oil pressure warning Trip 15 pounds. It never fell below this point will increase the moment after the trip. I have changed oil and filter withput resolution. The error code is 1.6.6, my dealer is that this is a piston cooling oil valve.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

You should really watch your oil butter. There was a change from the first engines that do not have a drain valve to return to the issue of overpopulation line.The breather a question mark. I am regularly D4 and D6, and my experience is the gauge is low, Its my opinion that you should follow the capacity, not the rule.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Default D6-310hp

There has got to be a problem that Volvo knows about and will not tell for fear they may have to admit something is wrong with their engines. I have a 2005 boat with two D6-310 hp diesel engines. At 329 hours my port engine failed. Upon tear down the pistons are crowned cylinders scored. There has been a through investigation on this engine from fuel quality to engine oil level to fuel filter inspection oil filter inspection and injector inspections. Still no answers. Has anyone pressed Volvo to see what they think ? What if more people customers have this porblem ? I look forward to hearing from other owners.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Smile oil issues

Is your oil cooler properly plumped? are the sensors working? there is a lub rail under each cylinder spraying oil some oil fillters failed

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Default piston melting problem

hello. i have incountered the same problem on my engine from a rodman 1120. the engine dropped dead without any notification. i have unmounted the engine and i have found that 1&6 piston were melted. i am preety sure that it's a fuel injection problem and the fact that the evc sistem did not notify me, i beleave that the presure senzor of the fuel injection system did not function correctly. the local dealor told me that i can't fix this problem and that i have to buy a new engine block. i beg to differ. i read the technichal specifications and i have found out that the block has integrated cylinder liners. can anyone tell me if and where can i order those liners and if i could change them? thank you

Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM

hello. i have incountered the same problem on my engine from a rodman 1120. the engine dropped dead without any notification. i have unmounted the engine and i have found that 1&6 piston were melted. i am preety sure that it's a fuel injection problem and the fact that the evc sistem did not notify me, i beleave that the presure senzor of the fuel injection system did not function correctly. the local dealor told me that i can't fix this problem and that i have to buy a new engine block. i beg to differ. i read the technichal specifications and i have found out that the block has integrated cylinder liners. can you tell me if and where can i order those liners and if i could change them? thank you

Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Default Piston problema on myD6 350, at 480 hours

I have the same problems. We checked injectors and they are 100% OK. Volvo says it is not their problem (engine is 2006, less then 480 hours). It is more then obvious it is not put fault!i made all the services and maintenance regulary at renomate Volvo servis. The last servise I had just 3 hours before it happens! I have the copies from copmuter
Hi All,

Hi
I had the same problem on my D6 350. 1 and 6 pistons broken, injectors checked

PNCHANE

Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Default D6 350 pistons 1 and 6

I've tested injectors and they seže 100% Ok, due to Bosch.
Originally Posted by bektasoglu
Hi Pnchane,

Have injectors been tested? Did you investigate anything about problem?

Quick Reply: Piston Problem Volvo Penta D6 310a