Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and talk about it here.

what lowering springs for a 2002 s60 fwd? Vogtland any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what lowering springs for a 2002 s60 fwd? Vogtland any good?

Hi I'm rebuilding my front struts, replacing them with KYB excell -G struts on my 2002 s60 fwd 2.4T. I believe these are just new gas stuts, nothing performance. I'm looking for a lowering spring that will work with stock type struts. Looking at vogtlands # 956919 lowering springs. They say 1.25" drop front and rear. That's about what drop I want no more than that. I wonder if the Vogtland are as progessive rate as some of the other brands of lowering springs Also about bottoming the strut out because it's lowered with stock type struts. anyway any idea what type you'd use and how they ride as I don't want too much drop or too stiff a ride ? Thanks

Old 04-06-2021, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I never get very much help here. Must not be many trying to lower or do high performance suspension work to volvo's. Well to help those who look here this is what I found about lowering the s60. One you can't use lowering springs with stock struts, they will be destroyed in about a year from bottoming out with the shorter lowering springs. Also the valving for use with a lowered spring has to different. A stock strut has more valving on the compression side and less on the rebound side. a lowered spring needs less valving on the compression side and more on the rebound side. That stands to reason as they are much stiffer than stock springs and don't compress as much. The only shorter struts that they make for lowered springs that will fit our cars is the bisteen B8's [about 260.00 each]. Well spending apx. a 1000.00 min. to lower my car was never in the cards for me[b8's,lowering springs, new front struts mounting parts, new rear shocks and other mounting parts ]The front of my car sits higher than the rear now, not much, but I can see it. I think cars with a little rake down in front always look better to me. so this is what I'm going to do. I found You can cut the tangent end[curves up[] of our front springs. You have have do it with as little heat use as possible. The hard part is knowing how much to cut off and not cutting too much off. Some of the sites say cutting spring x amount means double that amount dropped on the body. search a little you'll find out how to do it. I'm going to cut my front springs just 3/8" in height meaning 3/4" total drop on the front of body. The rear springs of our cars have I believe pig tail ends top and bottom [maybe someone can confirm that for me]. You can't cut these springs as you need that type of end for mounting fit. What you can do is grind the bottom and top surface of the pig tail's. I don't want very much body drop in back anyways [maybe only 3/8" total in body drop], as I'm trying leave a downward rake down to the front. I'm hoping this will not drop it so much that the shocks bottom out but still have a noticeable rake. If I have to cut the springs multiple times in small amounts to get it right so be it . The springs will be a little stiffer when cut but I've heard they will not be much stiffer. That's what I'm go to do hopefully it works out. Good luck

Old 05-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotim23
Well I never get very much help here. Must not be many trying to lower or do high performance suspension work to volvo's. Well to help those who look here this is what I found about lowering the s60. One you can't use lowering springs with stock struts, they will be destroyed in about a year from bottoming out with the shorter lowering springs. Also the valving for use with a lowered spring has to different. A stock strut has more valving on the compression side and less on the rebound side. a lowered spring needs less valving on the compression side and more on the rebound side. That stands to reason as they are much stiffer than stock springs and don't compress as much. The only shorter struts that they make for lowered springs that will fit our cars is the bisteen B8's [about 260.00 each]. Well spending apx. a 1000.00 min. to lower my car was never in the cards for me[b8's,lowering springs, new front struts mounting parts, new rear shocks and other mounting parts ]The front of my car sits higher than the rear now, not much, but I can see it. I think cars with a little rake down in front always look better to me. so this is what I'm going to do. I found You can cut the tangent end[curves up[] of our front springs. You have have do it with as little heat use as possible. The hard part is knowing how much to cut off and not cutting too much off. Some of the sites say cutting spring x amount means double that amount dropped on the body. search a little you'll find out how to do it. I'm going to cut my front springs just 3/8" in height meaning 3/4" total drop on the front of body. The rear springs of our cars have I believe pig tail ends top and bottom [maybe someone can confirm that for me]. You can't cut these springs as you need that type of end for mounting fit. What you can do is grind the bottom and top surface of the pig tail's. I don't want very much body drop in back anyways [maybe only 3/8" total in body drop], as I'm trying leave a downward rake down to the front. I'm hoping this will not drop it so much that the shocks bottom out but still have a noticeable rake. If I have to cut the springs multiple times in small amounts to get it right so be it . The springs will be a little stiffer when cut but I've heard they will not be much stiffer. That's what I'm go to do hopefully it works out. Good luck
I am a little late but I went with BC Racing coilovers in my 06 s60 awd which were $1k total. I was able to get through FCP and get a lifetime warranty on them. You can adjust the ride height on these easily. I went this route because my suspension needed to be replaced and I was looking to do rebuilds with the B8s as well but in doing research I found I can just get coilovers for the same price and I wont have to use any old parts that I didnt want to.