‘92 240 no start

Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘92 240 no start

Two weeks ago my 240 died shortly after leaving home. I noticed a slight knock coming from the engine right beforehand, but ignored it due to it being the first cold day of the year and thinking the engine needed to warm up.

Right now the engine cranks. I’m getting a spark and fuel. I readjusted the timing, replaced plugs, wires, diz cap and rotor, has gas, oil, battery is strong. No codes.

The crank sounds a bit weak, though. Like there isn’t much compression. I’m getting a slight sputtering from the tailpipe as she cranks but will never turn over, not even close. I’m worried the knock before she died may have been more serious than I expected. Any advice on the matter would be great. Thanks y’all.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

you said you are getting fuel, how did you test that? can you hear a buzz from the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on ?

Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by silvermine
you said you are getting fuel, how did you test that? can you hear a buzz from the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on ?
Yes, both pumps are buzzing. Also, pulled the fuel line from the rail and it would push out fuel when the pump turned on. I didn’t, however, perform a fuel pressure test since I don’t have the proper equipment.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you getting spark at your plugs. Did you check to make sure the cam is turning and the timing belt is not broken. Try a compression test also.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Are you getting spark at your plugs. Did you check to make sure the cam is turning and the timing belt is not broken. Try a compression test also.
Yes to all of those, besides a compression test.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM

if you jumper fuses 4&6 will the engine run? and then stop if you remove the jumper?
did you look to see if you have one of those infamous 'pink label' ecu's?

Old 09-26-2018, 11:59 AM

if you jumper fuses 4&6 will the engine run? and then stop if you remove the jumper?
did you look to see if you have one of those infamous 'pink label' ecu's?
Tried the jumper test. Still won’t turn over but can hear the fuel pump buzzing.

No pink label.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM

hmmm.. a puzzler. guess if i were you at this point i would unplug the MAF with ignition off, and then try to start it.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 PM

hmmm.. a puzzler. guess if i were you at this point i would unplug the MAF with ignition off, and then try to start it.
Have definitely tried that, too. I’ve been working on these cars and engines for 12 years and this one has me stumped. The thing that gets me is the slight knock before it died...I’m wondering if something internal went to sh*t. Never had this problem before, I’m getting close to towing it in and having a pro check it out. Not gonna be cheap...

Old 09-26-2018, 03:45 PM

yeah well, maybe couple things left to try. all fuses are good right? how about power/grounds to the injectors? how about spraying starting fluid into the intake? .. any gas smell in the FPR vacuum line? ....and maybe as last resort would be the power stage...
CPS must be good if you get spark at the plugs??
you would think that it would not crank very well if at all if something let loose in the bottom end...
trying to cover all the bases..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

a compression test on all 4 cylinders would tell if you there's internal damage to the engine.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Sorry for the late response, had to go out of town. So, all the fuses are good. Sprayed starter fluid into the intake and still nothing. Not sure how to check the injectors but I'll figure that out and give it a try. I did run the ignition diagnostic and the injectors were clicking on/off. I do have a bit of a gas smell on the vacuum side of the FPR...I definitely need to swap that out.

The compression does sound real low and it's not even trying to turn over. I'm getting some sputtering from the tailpipe so I'm assuming there is some compression and explosion of gas?

I'm swapping out the cam position sensor tonight, the wiring is pretty beat up. If nothing, a compression test next.

One thing I didn't mention. About two months ago a portion of my my exhaust rusted away and fell off between the first muffler and downpipes. I had to drive the car about 80 miles before I could get it to my guy to weld it back together. Could the lack of exhaust have caused any internal damage to the valves or anything else? After fixing it the car drove fine for over a month before it stopped starting.

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 10-03-2018, 03:04 PM
no mo volvo

'compression sounds real low' ?? did you run a compression test with a compression gauge? sounds have little to do with this.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Haven't run one yet. I'll let you know the results.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM

hmmm CPS eh? wiggling the wire does nothing?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM

hmmm CPS eh? wiggling the wire does nothing?
It hadn’t. But the wiring was pretty frayed so I’m just going to replace it. It was $13. Going to do the fpr while I’m at it, I do have a gas smell on the vacuum side and it does look like the original. I’ll give you an update tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

$13 CPS? No, no... Get an OEM, it's not worth it being cheap with the CPS...
Take a compression test! Get the gauge from Autozone, etc, they lend them for free...

Old 10-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Did a compression test and go 0s all the way thru. Throttle was fully open. Cranked it a good 5-7 revolutions. Took the valve cover off, tried again, looks like everything is functioning properly visibly under the valve cover. I’m pretty stumped at this point.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:47 PM
no mo volvo

maybe the timing belt has jumped a bunch of degrees?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Richiebuonanotte
Did a compression test and go 0s all the way thru. Throttle was fully open. Cranked it a good 5-7 revolutions. Took the valve cover off, tried again, looks like everything is functioning properly visibly under the valve cover. I’m pretty stumped at this point.
Does the cam turn when you try to start the car. Do you have a timing belt on the car. Bring up #1 to top dead center and check the timing marks. Is the dizzy turning when you try to start it. Is the harmonic balance on the crank shaft turning . Unless this is a turbo it isn't an interference engine so to not have compression in every cylinder means something broke. Either replace the timing belt or go through the timing belt change process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ‘92 240 no start