1990 244 DL turn signal relay location

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1990 244 DL turn signal relay location

my signal lights quit working completely, suddenly. no blink no click nothing. they worked for a few minutes a couple of times when Im driving but now I'm home they do nothing.

I'm searching for the relay but I cant seem to find it or remember where they hid the thing and since it won't click I can't hear it. I looked around over the drivers feet and opened the console can't see it ..can;t see it in the engine bay. I found the relay for the headlights in the engine bay but it isn't near that. I found the flasher for the emergency flashers, it's down near the left side of the console near the floor. The emergency flashers share the same fuse according to the fuse cover diagram. they work fine.

anyone know where the turn signal relay is?

Old 10-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I found the problem

the signals stopped working. right away I found the hazards lights flasher and swapped it. -no change
I had read down the fuse list on the cover and got to 9 and it reads signal detresse (french) hazard etc so I checked the fuse , it was fine.

usually the hazards relay is a separate relay but not the case here. Its the same three legged relay.
and it was right behind the left plastic console panel on the console. the one to the right of the driver's knees.

finally after schrithching my head for a few hours and looking for the elusive "other relay" I found the issue was a bad fuse 13. it just needed cleaning. I replaced most of them quite recently but I guess I reused that one.

funny I was even spinning all the fuses and waiting to see if the relay would come on , the first few times it didn't work. when I finally poked it with a meter probe it sparked and the relay clicked and I had a little volvo eureka moment

running hunk of thin plastic hose from a heater vent to near the fusebox might be not a bad idea. maybe a bag of silica in there near the end of it.

do you guys usually use non conductive grease on the fuses or what is good?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

you should replace all your fuses on a 240 with Flosser brand german copper/brass fuses, available on ebay or amazon, or from most Volvo specific parts houses like IPDusa or FCPeuro. My older Mercedes use the same fuses.

Get a couple fresh soft clean pink pencil erasers, remove each fuse, use the eraser on the fuse contacts, put on a new fuse, move to the next one.

the original tin plated fuses corrode and rot, and the bussman etc available replacements in the american parts store suck.. The copper/brass ones last longer, and don't electrolyze with the contacts.

Attached Thumbnails 1990 244 DL turn signal relay location-i-wdb7cnd-x2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
vaudevillevolvo (06-28-2022)
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

oh, avoid getting the ones that have been packed in clear tape, they tend to be sticky and hard to clean.