1992 Volvo 940 running rough stalls out of park

Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1992 Volvo 940 running rough stalls out of park

Hey everyone,
First post here. I've had my Volvo 940 for about 4 years now and in the past year I've been have a number of issues. Currently the car is sitting in my parking lot and I'm not sure what my next move is. A couple of weeks ago I was driving back from a friends house, about a 45 minute drive and about 10 minutes from home the car went into what I can only assume to be "limp home mode". Basically the car wouldn't go beyond 2nd gear and felt like it had no power. I got the car home fine and started to work on it the next day. I began by cleaning the throttle body which is something I had planned on but it didn't seem very dirty when I got it off and after all was said and done the car seemed worse off that it was. Now when I go to crank it up it barely wants to turns over, it will stall if I change gears, and I can smell gas. I don't have much free time to work on the car so its just been sitting. I got into it some more today but no luck so far. I did notice that the intake hose running from the air filter has an open spot but I can't recall if anything was ever connected there. I looked around and cant find a hose that I maybe forgot to reconnect so I'm assuming that's okay. Six months ago I was having a similar problem and I pulled a code for the sensor on the air intake hose and replaced that and also replaced the spark plugs as they were looking rough. I just pulled the first spark plug a moment ago and it was blackened which I thought was odd. If it is a misfiring issue what would be causing my spark plugs to fail so quickly?

I'm going to pull the rest of the plugs and update but I just wanted to get this thread going in the hopes that someone has the insight to point me in the right direction. I love this car and I'm trying to keep it alive the best I can.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Greetings! Ive been there.... Its your fuel pressure regulator. First pull the vacum hose off it, if it leaks or smells of gas... Replace it. Its a cylinder like part near front end of fuel rail. Expensive new if its bosch.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goldenblock
Greetings! Ive been there.... Its your fuel pressure regulator. First pull the vacum hose off it, if it leaks or smells of gas... Replace it. Its a cylinder like part near front end of fuel rail. Expensive new if its bosch.
It doesn't leak but it does smell of gas. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Your welcome! If it smells of gas get rid of it. The internal diaphragm is ruptured causing the gas to pour in unregulated, causing a very rich condition.
as a result... Blackened plugs and often backfiring among many symptoms!! Dont go autozone route.... Get regina oem( very expensive) or bosch oem 3 bar( expensive)
goodluck

Old 11-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

check e-bay for FPR's a used Bosch is worth way more than aftermarket brand..
and.. check your engine oil in case gas got in there...may need to change it forthwith.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Exclamation

So I ordered through autozone and got a GP Sorensen FPR. It doesn't look like it will fit my 940 which has a Regina system. I'm looking around for ones that will fit and I've gathered the Bosch and Regina are interchangeable I'm guessing as long as you get the right one. So does the Bosch OEM 3 bar fit this criteria?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Yes 3 bar or 2.5 bar(non turbo) will work....

Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Another FPR won't do a thing for your problem. The description you provide is not enough to make a stab at your issues, but the FPR is definitely not it!

Old 11-17-2018, 07:53 PM

Dont listen to that cat Lev!! Its your fuel pressure regulator! There should be no fuel smell in that vacum hose! Also check wiring to rear temp sensor and check the readings on it...

Oss

Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldenblock
Dont listen to that cat Lev!! Its your fuel pressure regulator! There should be no fuel smell in that vacum hose! Also check wiring to rear temp sensor and check the readings on it...

Oss
You don't want "fuel smell" in the FPR? Even you must know there's "fuel" in it? Even if the FPR is faulty it won't cause the problems mentioned... BTW, OSS, obviously you have no clue what the FPR even does!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW!
Nothin like a good slap fest - "You don't know diddly! Oh yeah, I know diddly, YOU don't know diddly!
In the words of the late, great philosopher Rodney King - "Can't we all just get along?" And "Where's my million dollars?".

Old 11-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Default Update

I found a replacement FPR and put it on. Car started but surged with a high idle and was running rough though better than it was previously(?). Went to replace the spark plugs and the were all fouled and smelled of fuel. The wire for spark plug one was burnt up on the inside and had a tear on the outside of it. Going to put new wires in and new spark plugs and see what happens. If anyone has any other thoughts let me know,

Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

check the cap and rotor while you're at it.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Default Stalls

Goldenblock here! Again sorry about your ordeal.
After you do all that.. Wires and check cap, i had mentioned previously to check the wiri g to your rear temp sensor ( near firewall) i worked with a gentlemen whose close to 70 on his 940 and we troble shot same exact thing for awhile. The main culprit after all was faulty wiring to that sensor. It plays a huge role on the fuel injection.

So... Check wiring for looseness or breaks , then test it. His plugs were black up until that point. We changed plugs at least 4 times. And he has 50 years exp with cars... Osss

Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Default Back at it

I couldn’t find the rear temp sensor as mentioned in the previous post. I made a small video hoping someone can hear the problem but having trouble uploading it. The car cranks up every time now and will idle okay for a moment but it doesn’t take long for it to get rough. It also sputters like something is shooting out of the muffler? Is that a misfire? When I put the car into reverse or drive it tries to stall immediately but I can keep it alive by giving it a little gas. I’m about to take it to a mechanic in the neighborhood and wondering if it’ll do more damage if I limp it over there.

Last edited by Phillip Rollins; 05-11-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upload the video to YouTube and post a link here.

The temp sensor that runs to the computer is number 4. Underneath the intake manifold.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Bosch or Regina ignition?

Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Regina

Here is the video.

Last edited by Phillip Rollins; 05-11-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Well that rules out a bad maf sensor.

When I had drivability issues on my '92 940 Regina it was a failing fuel pump. Fuel pressure test showed the pressure to be erratic.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:04 PM

I’m feeling like it is the fuel pump, which I feel is beyond my ability to replace. I was going to start with a new fuel filter but I couldn’t seem to figure out how to get the old one off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 Volvo 940 running rough stalls out of park