1993 Turn Signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Turn Signal Issue

Hi Everyone, 1993 245
Tonight when I got into the car, the turn signal for left turns was blinking rapidly. Right turn working fine. Got out of the can and there wasn't any turn signal light on front passenger side. Back turn lights up, but blinks rapidly. I checked the front pass side bulb and it looked fine. I cleaned the contacts and put back in. No light. I then switched bulbs for a new bulb. No light. I pulled a known good bulb from my '89. Still no light. I returned to the light to '89 and rechecked. Bulb good. Since I was in the '89, I pulled the good flasher relay and put in the '93. No front light, and still flashing rapidly. Returned the relay to the '89 and verified good relay.

I then grounded a test light off the battery and checked the bulb contacts inside the turn signal fixture. They both showed power, but of course blinking rapidly. So a newbie question.. Since I've checked bulb and relay and the contacts are getting power, does the bulb somehow ground via the fixture? For example using the bayonet prongs? I ask this because since I grounded directly from the battery and not the fixture, is it possible that the actual fixture isn't grounding somewhere? Perhaps that explains why I have power at the bulb connections, but bulb not lighting. If my hypothesis is correct, where might I find that ground connection? I looked but didn't see anything obvious.

If my hypothesis is way off, any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm a bit stumped.

Oh.. I think the voltage might be running a bit high. I was using a pretty drained battery and my ABS light was flickering on and off, which I read can be a symptom of voltage issues. I checked the fuse for the ABS and its fine. So, could this also be something to do with the turn signals?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:03 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

check the ground at the light fixture, I believe the righthand lights are grounded on the inside of the fender beside the coolant overflow tank. I'd turn on the emergency blinkers, and see if there's any voltage from the ground side of the light socket to the battery ground (-) terminal. with those 240 front turn signals, you should be able to remove the bulb holder from the reflector, and it should still be electrically connected, so you can stick your volt meter probe on the chrome side of the bulb thats plugged in.. for this ground reading... there's also a 3(?) pin connector on the harness about a foot from the sockets, make sure thats clean and good, maybe squirt a little deoxit on it and unplug/plug it a few times.