1993 Volvo 940 keeps cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Volvo 940 keeps cutting off

Hello,

I have a 1993 that will cut off from time to time. I used to work at a Toyota service department, so I would have it towed in and a technician would throw a part at it. It continued to run for a week or several months, and the same issue would happen again. Sometimes that car will start up and run, other times it won't. It will In that past two years, I have replaced the alternator, cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil, and fuel relay. The fuel pressure was checked and looked good, battery tests fine, engine turns over, timing belt looks good. It seems to cut off when it rains and perhaps hits a puddle (my boyfriend is driving it and cannot seem to describe the event in full detail). I no longer work at the Toyota service department, so I cannot afford to throw more parts at it, and I'm hoping it's not the fuel pump because I think replacing it would total the car. Anything else I can check for? Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 PM

it could be a number of things....

You can get a used fuel pump for 25 dollars max.....but this requires for you to go to a junk yard and pull the part yourself.....in my area...you can pay like 10 dollars to individuals hanging out at the junk yard and they will pull the part out for you.....

this is where your boyfriend comes in the picture.....since he is driving YOUR car...(if he is handy) he can install it for you.....not horribly difficult but someone with a brain and latex gloves could do it....we can do a write up on the steps here....

Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the response. Is there any way to tell if it's the fuel pump or not before trying to replace it? On all data, I remember it saying it takes close to six hours to replace, and given we aren't technicians, it will probably take even longer than that. Also, I wouldn't call him very handy- and my very limited knowledge of cars outweighs his so it's a very frightening prospect. If it is the fuel pump, why does it seem to occur primarily when it's raining?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

another common failure is the crank position sensor, or the wiring to it. this will cause an immediate stall/nostart scenario like you're having, and be intermittent, especially if its bad wiring. the CPS is behind the head, between the engine and transmission, a bit on the left (intake) side. it reads notches on the flywheel to generate the timing information that both the ignition and fuel injection require to operate..

if the fuel pressure is fine, its unlikely to be the fuel pump.