240 DL, 1987, Bar's Leaks Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 240 DL, 1987, Bar's Leaks Power Steering Fluid

Learning about power steering fluids... is this one safe to use on my old Volvo?
Thanks so much!

Old 08-03-2021, 11:11 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, who knows? Not to be flippant but it all depends on too many things: why the leak, how big, how hard to fix, etc. As far as "safe", what are you gonna hurt at this stage? You obviously don't care enough to fix it. Volvos are robust. Additives may do good or do damage, definitely not the preferred way to fix problems.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bars

Yes you ll be fine!!!

Old 08-05-2021, 03:47 PM

Thank you so much... I appreciate the direct response.
Stay safe out there... SusieB. in StLouie

Old 08-05-2021, 04:16 PM

Thank you, Lev, for responding... I wasn't sure if I would be able to get anyone's attention w/ my modest post.
But geez, Lev... way to shame a newby in a pinch...

The truth is this car belonged to my mother who passed away suddenly last year from Covid at 90, still living independently in our family home in Central Florida. She was the sweetest person I've ever known, and she has left a huge hole in our lives. This car was only driven back and forth in our small home town, and yes, wasn't probably hadn't been properly maintained for awhile.. Now that we, the out of state family, are congregating to clear out her home, my childhood home, I am the one who has the most interest in this car, for sentimental reasons. I realize it will need a thorough servicing if I am to keep it and use it more than she did, but yesterday, I was simply seeking some quick advice to help us better understand my options in that moment.

The advice was appreciated; the shaming, unfortunately, was not.
Times are hard; a little kindness can go a long way, as can a little unkindness.

Stay safe out there, Lev... it's getting scarier by the day. SusieB. in StLouie

Old 08-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

hey Susie sorry for your loss.. lev was only answering your question just like our bro goldie here... there are no ulterior motives here on this board believe me, everyone
is welcome and equal... no matter what part of the world they are from.....and there aren't any silly questions... so now carry on and be well..we are all here to learn..
from each other.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:44 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sj.brown@sbcglobal.net
Thank you, Lev, for responding... I wasn't sure if I would be able to get anyone's attention w/ my modest post.
But geez, Lev... way to shame a newby in a pinch...

The truth is this car belonged to my mother who passed away suddenly last year from Covid at 90, still living independently in our family home in Central Florida. She was the sweetest person I've ever known, and she has left a huge hole in our lives. This car was only driven back and forth in our small home town, and yes, wasn't probably hadn't been properly maintained for awhile.. Now that we, the out of state family, are congregating to clear out her home, my childhood home, I am the one who has the most interest in this car, for sentimental reasons. I realize it will need a thorough servicing if I am to keep it and use it more than she did, but yesterday, I was simply seeking some quick advice to help us better understand my options in that moment.

The advice was appreciated; the shaming, unfortunately, was not.
Times are hard; a little kindness can go a long way, as can a little unkindness.

Stay safe out there, Lev... it's getting scarier by the day. SusieB. in StLouie
Hmm, not into "shaming" anyone for any reason, neither into acknowledging victimhood. My response was quite to the point based on the post. If special circumstances exist, which unable you to fix a P/S leak properly so you seek a quick temporary solution, that is not relevant to the question at hand and was not mentioned. Sorry for your loss, and feel free to seek advice on matters relating to your Volvo.

The following users liked this post:
silvermine (08-07-2021)