240 Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 Upholstery

Obviously, the 240 interiors don't hold up as well as some other cars, and I know IPD makes the new seat covers, but I really dislike the fabric on the IPD seat covers. Does anyone know if there are any seat pattern pieces floating around, or should I take one apart, and use it as a template? Also, are the front seats identical in terms of fabric, or are there special considerations to each side? I sew, (collect treadle sewing machines) and I have a couple of industrials as well, so sewing through upholstery fabric isn't an issue. But the 240 I'm getting next week has cracked vinyl, and I prefer not to have to deal with that in the summers!

Wes

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 240 Upholstery

If you feel comfortable striking up seams, cutting apart the old seat covers, making patterns off them (including straightening up edges on teh patterns etc), sewing them together (polyester thread only please!), rebuilding teh foam with some 10mm (3/8") sheet foam and stretching the new covers back on, and then hogringing them back in place, go for it! A good tip is replacing the side bolsters on teh seat with harder foam, it makes teh seat much nicer.
While you have the seat apart, always inspect teh frames and springs carefully for any damage or cracking.
I used to do this for a living, and if you are patient, and take the time to make good patterns and sew carefully to strike up marks, it will turn out very well.
The critical points are good patterns, and building teh foam up as required to suit the new seat covers (some trial fitting of the new covers required).

Regards, Andrew.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Haha, you mean this isn't the time for all cotton thread? But then it can be natural, and earthy! For that kind of sewing, I'd feel confident making the patterns and stuff. Since you did this professionally, may I pick your brain a bit? How did you finish your seams? Did you just leave them raw, and press them out, pink the edges, or actually clean finish them? (I'm not sure what the easiest clean finish would be for that, anyway) I was hoping to use corduroy and make something that looks as close to stock as possible. The car presently has vinyl...and I'm not so okay with the heat conductive properties of vinyl.

Wes

Old 04-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually top sew most of my seams, the main ons anyway. The smaller seams in the middle of teh seat don't really need any extra finishing if you sew them up with some foam behind them (cut your panels out, and spray glue them all to a sheet of 10mm foam, cut out, then sew them up like that). I don't know about corduroy, it doesn't wear that well, and will stretch. Ask around some industrial or commercial upholstery stores in your area, there are decent materials you should use. The cost of materials is insignificant compared to teh labour you'll put in, and I don't want to see you have to redo teh job in a few years.
Top sewing is where you join the panels up, then fold the seam over to one side, and sew FROM THE TOP SIDE of the job. Always fold teh seam to the inside of the curves, and cut slits with scissors in teh waste material of teh seam, to allow the material to conform to curves more easily.
Top sewn seam:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...XJRseat001.jpg
Top sewing gives a very clean, modern look to the job.
I would avoid piping, there's a bit of a knack to it, and really, it looks VERY dated these days. I only do it to match a job if it's still got piping elsewhere.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Well, corduroy isn't exactly correct, I was looking at a Chenile upholstery grade that had wide wales, kind of similar to the old Interiors. But I'll definitely look hard before I buy anything. Yeah, no piping for me, at least for a long time. I put the welt back into a couch cushion cover that I sewed for a 50's couch. That was a pain in the rear end. I do like the look...I really enjoy things with a heavy contrast, including topstitching, but this doesn't seem to be the application for it.

Wes