244GL Car Won't Start After Rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 244GL Car Won't Start After Rain

Does anyone know what's the causation that my car won't start usually after the rain, and usually after the rain my driver side will have some water coming from inside dripping out on the floor mat..
The starter works, the light could be on, fan also, just sometimes after a rain, I can't hear any starter running sound

Old 07-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Heng
car won't start usually after the rain,

usually after the rain my driver side will have some water coming from inside dripping out on the floor mat

The starter works,
If your engine spins over and won't catch after it rains - I would suspect arcing in the distributor cap. The moisture makes an easier path for the high voltage to go to the wrong place (distributor base). Once that happens the only solution is a new cap and rotor button. (you will find faint black lines in the cap leading from the copper poles down to the base of the distributor on the inside or the outside of the cap) If you purchase a new one - try to find the original bosch cap and rotor, some aftermarket brands are not the best quality. And after you get it running - use a spray bottle of water and gently spray spark plug wires, cap, rotor, coil wire, coil - in a not sunny environment and look for arcing.

A common water leak into the car on 240's comes from the windshield - the windshield is glued into the body and it comes loose in the corners allowing water in.

The following users liked this post:
Heng (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had the same symptoms with my ‘93 240. Changing the cap and rotor is always the solution.

The following users liked this post:
Heng (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
If your engine spins over and won't catch after it rains - I would suspect arcing in the distributor cap. The moisture makes an easier path for the high voltage to go to the wrong place (distributor base). Once that happens the only solution is a new cap and rotor button. (you will find faint black lines in the cap leading from the copper poles down to the base of the distributor on the inside or the outside of the cap) If you purchase a new one - try to find the original bosch cap and rotor, some aftermarket brands are not the best quality. And after you get it running - use a spray bottle of water and gently spray spark plug wires, cap, rotor, coil wire, coil - in a not sunny environment and look for arcing.

A common water leak into the car on 240's comes from the windshield - the windshield is glued into the body and it comes loose in the corners allowing water in.
Alright thank you, I will look into it soon and replace it when able to