740 Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 740 Fuel Problems

hi swift.. (dont know why this is underlining) but anyways.. you've always gave me good advice since I bought my 91 740, this time I really dont know whats up... I havent taken this thing anywhere far in a while becuz its the oil light is on.. dont want to mess the engine up... well I drove today to the next town over which is I'd say 10 to 15 miles away... almost there when the engine started sputtering n just died...i'm thinkin that the piston rings finally gave since I could have low oil pressure...well 15 minutes later it started up n I turned around to go home, I drove acouple of miles backn it stalled again, I waited a bit then it started and I got in and drove sum more n it died acouple of more miles down the road.. the way the engine stalled was like if I had no gas.. I had a quarter tank at the time...anyhow, I made it home...I'm thinkin either the injectors or the fuel pump is on its way out...what do u think, I just replaced the gas filter 3 weeks ago...I'm stumped...please find it in your time to help me figure this...

Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm...I'd figure that oil pressure thing out pretty quick or there may be no need in fixing anything else!
When the car dies, is it as if you turned the key off or does it always buck and sputter?
Also, do you know how to check the codes on your car? If not, this should help...

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 03-15-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could check the fuel pressure regulator. It's on the fuel rail and looks like a little can with a vacuum line. I'd pull off the vacuum line and see if you can smell gas. That's probably not it, but I quick thing to check.

You it could be fuel pumps. After it quits, when you try to restart, listen for running fuel pumps after you quit cranking. The should run for an extra second or two. I don't know if this is a Regina car or not, but if it is, there is only one pump in the fuel tank. If it's a Bosch, then there are two pumps (I think, I'm not too sure about 91's). Listen for both.

First I would get the oil figured out. You could install an aftermarket gauge to know your exact oil pressure. It's also good to check the sensor connector. It's in the front passenger corner of the engine block, down low. It's near where the oil filter connects to the engine, but forward more.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM

the fuel pressure regulator is 3 months old, i'm buyin the oil pump in a week, and it is a Regina...Coil, dist. cap n rotor, wires, sparkplugs, fuel filter, tranns. filter is all new...the only things this car needs is the oil pump...n maybe a fuel pump....where can I get those for a bargain? i'm thinkin of buyin sum new fuel injectors too...I've seen them for as low as $40, just dont remember where... I just put a new connector on the oil pressure sensor...the car starts fine, but I guess when I run it a bit it stalls...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM

dont know where to get that code reader...

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That code reader is mounted to the driver side strut tower near the small cross brace...it is built into your car. If it were my car, I'd want to actually know what the oil pressure was before I started tearing into the bottom end. Assuming the oil pressure is low, when you pull the oil pan you need to measure the wear on the main and connecting rod bearings. Very often, it is not the oil pump but rather the bearings being worn that cause low oil pressure. The oil pressure diagnosis is the most important issue you face. The running problem can wait; the oil pressure can not. Don't go buying injectors just yet. If/when you pull the oil pan, check the rubber sleeve that connects the oil pump to the block. After many years of heat and oil, these sleeves deteriorate and spew oil, effectively reducing the oil pressure.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I know where the code reader is, question was what kind of diagnostic pc would I use, would it be sumthing I could rent from an auto parts place or would I have to buy it...? I just tried to start it n its stalled like it has no gas, the pump is working strong, I can hear it, and I checked the injector side of relay and its engaging, cant drop the pan yet, or should I do it now, really would like to put a new pump in this while I'm at it but if your sayin its probably not it then I'll wait...no sense in spendin money I shouldnt...damn.. this car has come a long ways since I got it 6 months ago...I used to consider it a bucket, I put alot of time and love into it, gutted the whole inside and cleaned everything, it looks like its straight out the dealer now, and the outside is gettin there, did all the work myself.....I'll post pix up later on...thanx for your input....

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM

I just started it up again and it seems like it stays on as long as I rev the engine past a certain point, when I let go of the trottle it dies....it definitly aint electrical, as of the ignition system, it stays on once I level it out revvin it, but then in a minute it just dies like theres no gas....the engine shakes like it havin a seizure when it does...then dies...fuel pump works, fuel filter is 3 weeks old, fuel pressure regulator is new, the FP relay seems to work...what else could it be?

Last edited by scorpius; 03-17-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM

No PC as far as I know can read that year of Volvo. You use the diagnostic tool to send out error codes in the form of a flashing LED.

This may seem odd, but double check your spark plug wires. Make sure that you don't have two of them switched. Looking at the distributor from the front of the hood they should be from left to right: 4,3,1,2. My boss had his wired up so 1 and 2 were switched. The car started and wouldn't idle, but you could get it to rev. If you replaced the wires and got two mixed up, that would make sense. My boss didn't realize that they were switch and it was hard to notice because what he really did it reversed 1 and 2 to get the right order and then did it again, so they looked like they might be right, but were crossed twice.

Last edited by Titan Joe; 03-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM

i put those in like 5 months ago, I would of had the problem since then, would the idle air valve? be a culprit, this car has been runing fine for several months with all the problems when I bought solved, except the oil light, so I'm assuming pressure is low, gonna have to find a pressure tester for that to determin whats what with the oil pump, but anyhow, I had it running for today like 10 minutes then it started acting up, started it again and I would have to rev it a slight bit to keep it on, but you hear and feel when there was a pause in the fuel pressure, or it seemed to go without fuel in the line with pressure, eitherway it what it sounded like like if there was air in sumthing..... thanx tho, its definitly not the wires....

Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 AM

Well, pull some codes and maybe that will give us a lead.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM

really could use your expertise on my problem....fuel pump aint turning on and I'm not gettin juice to my #11 fuse curcuit... really dont know what to do from this point on... fuel pump relay is engaging, the motor turns, there was a manual switch i used to have in between FPR and fuse, the connections were gettin hot so I decided to eliminate it thats when I starting having this problem, remenber acouple of days ago I was having no start ups? well that was my problem.. dont know what else to do....