740 fuel system problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 740 fuel system problems...

Hi everybody... I have a 91 740, Regina efi, I've had the car since september, it was runnin raggedy, loud n obnoxious when I bought it, well I quieted it up by replacing the flange gasket n new nuts n bolts, it started give me starting problems so got ot checked out, seems like the fuel pressure regulator was shot, replaced that along with a bunch of other stuff..power stage/coil module, wires plugs, distr. cap n rotor, then the timing belt, noise suppresion relay, fuel pump relay, fuel filter, trany filter...okay.. the other day this thing just died...luckily a friend came to the rescue with a friends tow truck...free..okay ran a series of tests on it, turn the key n my F.P.Relay clicks, my noise suppr. relay clicks, I test for 12 volts @ 30 n 87/2 n its there, I go in the trunk n put the multimeter to the pink n black wires goin to my fuel pump n theres 12 volts there, I even went further on n probed closer to the F.P. n I was gettin it there, few inches before the F.P.... okay it seems that my whole system is working, except the fuel pump itself, I'm iffy about the F.P.Relay, theres 2 basic switches inside the F.P.R. the one closest to me if I'm in the drivers seat is for the F.P. n the the one towards the engine is what tuns the injectors on..well the one for the F.P. clicks for about 2 seconds then unclicks itself.. I have 2 F.P.R.'s n they both do the same thing.. eitherway.. I think they both dont work unless thats the way it works or theres sumthing faulty in the ciruitry, either way to diagnose my "no start problem" without gettin sidetracked by the F.P.R I jerryrigged it #2(F.P.R.) with a switch so its direct... well even with that I dont get a hum from the F.P....with 12 volts right outside its door..lol... I have all the pdf files on this make, its a Regina.. only one pump, I'm about to drop the tank tomorrow.. is there any way I could test the pump, I even tried to apply 12 volts directly from a battery charging unit n got no hum...can sumone help me out with this one, dont want to misdiagnose n buy sumthing that is that already works, but it seems to me with all the fuel related problems n stories that I've read, that it all points to the F.P.... I really appreciate any input...thanx

Last edited by scorpius; 03-28-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By what you said, it sounds like there is power to the fuel pump, but not turning. I would pull it out like you are thinking. You can get into the fuel tank from inside the car. I don't remember if your car is a wagon or a sedan, but the access is right behind the rear seat. On the wagon, you can flip the seats down and lift up the folding panels and there are 3 nuts. Take them off, lift the panel up to clear the studs and slid it forward to disengage the tabs holding the back end down. The panel is on the driver's side in the floor. For a sedan, it's in the same place and you may just need to life some of the trunk carpet to get to it. It's still not easy to work in that space, so it's up to you how you want to get it out. The rubber seal for the tank lid I think shrinks if left off for too long, you can get it back on, but just be careful to not let it pinch weird.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Talking thanx you....

u just made my life a bit easier... thought I had to drop the tank, just filled it before this happend, lol...was havin bad thoughts of a gas taste in my mouth... just bought another 740 too.. an 89 with a Bosch efi... whats the difference between the 2, I bought that one for parts, exhaust is brand new, relays new, fuse box new, 5 new tires, struts, extra fuel pumps, dont think any of these pumps work for my Regina..I have a 4 door sedan glt...let me know if they do, I've been holdin off to get my hands on this car to see if i can fit it, today it will be here...anyhow, the car has a new suspension, n calipers, the guy which is my grammas schoolmate in 4th grade sold it to me, hes no mechanic n everybody thats ever worked on the car has charged him arm n legs to fix with the car dyin on him days later...but thats another story, the car will be my next project after my glt is back on the road forever... I never had a Volvo, never understood the hype behind them, but I love the hell out of my 740... n I've had sum nice cars when I lived in the states...mostly American trucks...Jeeps, Silverados..etc..no fords..lol..anyhow, just peeled bak the carpet n I see the black access door...I'll hit u back later... I'm gonna post new pix of both my 740s... I paid $600 for the 89...not banged up, no rust.. you'll see...tranny n motor clean....no leaks...thanx again...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM

he also has a fuel pump for a jeep cheerokee thats new, could I be able to fit this into my tank...? another question..how would I test the pump thats in the car once its out.. can I run 12 volts directly without ruining it...? if it worked...just asking?

Last edited by scorpius; 03-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM

The biggest difference between regina and bosh FI is that nothing is compatible. The fuel delivery is different (pumps) how air is metered going into the engine is different (Bosch uses a hot wire mas airflow sensor, regina use a pressure and temp sensors). Maybe the fuel pressure regulator are the same, but probably not.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

hey i got it out, put 12 volts directly to the pump and nothing, the sock on the pump looked bad, even had sum holes...so I need a pump....I live in puerto rico... is there any place I could get a cheap pump for this... western auto? or swedish? dont know where to start lookin but I would like to know if I could fit the jeep pump in this?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM

The jeep pump would probably work if: it has enough flow, and if it does not draw too much more current than the original pump. I can't answer any of those, unfortunately. It being a main pump can be expensive, but it's an important one. I probably would not get the cheapest one, but a quality OEM replacement. This is a part I wouldn't mind spending a little more money on, unless you want to do this again in 5 years or so. I'd replace the filter and fuel strainer while you're at it. Lost of time's they require it to maintain a warranty.

1990-1992 Volvo 740 8 Valve Fuel Pump-Regina
I think that price is very reasonable. FCP Groton is a sponsor and a really professional supplier. Of course, make sure that it matches your car. I just picked what I thought looked right. Also compare prices and quality if you wish too.

Well done.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Here's one through Rock Auto: More Information for AIRTEX E8279

It's an Airtex. I'm not a fan. They have another one for regina, but they say it has two pumps. I don't trust that. The Airtex will probably work, but I once again suggest an OEM one.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM

hey, does a bosch intank pump the equivlent of the intank regina pump...got a used one out of the 89 that works...ran multimeter testing on it, sending unit is good to and is very similar to my regina one...(can I use that one...?)it was in the trunk along a bag that had double triple relays, the guy spent alot of money on things that didnt need to be replaced, 2 whole ignitions, hall sensors, caps, fuel pump, fusebox, who knows what else? hes 80 years old...he hooked me up...so anyways.. i'm feelin pretty acomplished today, gonna post sum pix of the new buy...thanx for the input..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM

hey the pump from the jeep is for a 4.0 straight 6...would it work or is that too much output....?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Regina pump is much more powerful than a Bosch intank pump. The Regina pump is the only pump in the system. The Bosch injection uses two pumps. At the fuel rail, Regina cars have a lower fuel pressure..38 psi to the Bosch's 44 psi. Frankly, the Jeep pump would probably work fine...at least in the short term. Don't worry about too much output...the excess gasoline just returns to the tank from the return fuel line.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM

hey, put the fuel pump in today, the one for this regina, not the jeep one, sumone bought that off of me n it paid for my pump n strainer... anyhow, this thing started rite up...vrooomm....thank u for ur input, it was hella help. and for anybody that needs 740 diagrams, I've got them... would be gald to help them out, also I've been tryin to load photos of my new buy, 89' 740, n the thing says invalid picture, dont understand....?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM

thank u guys... aint fail me yet n i love my Volvo even more, I think my wife is gettin jealous..lol... atleast we driving, tomorrow I install the new exhaust system, then thae struts...I'm siked....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet!