83 240: testing for idle mixture / O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:41 PM
|
Default 83 240: testing for idle mixture / O2 sensor

I am testing for my idle mixture and have tried both the l.e.d. test and the dwell test with no result on either. I tested with the l.e.d. and got no light, indicating lean mixture. I adjusted the screw on the AAM to no avail. I then tried the dwell test and got no oscillation and referred to the O2 sensor test. Am I right to test the O2 sensor at the green wire connector (conected)? I am showing no voltage there. Curiously, the car just passed emissions clean as a whistle with no change in running characteristics. I'm presently getting hesitation from a stop.

Old 08-18-2012 | 10:46 PM
no mo volvo

yeah, the green wire was where i tested the o2 on my 91 MBZ 300E which also uses K-Jetronic. you should see a voltage that swings between 0.3 and 0.7V a few times a second at idle if things are working right. and yes, it should be connected... on the benz, I took a thin piece of bare wire (acually a single strand from some lamp cord I had handy), and stuck it into the connector, snapping it closed around it... the the other probe of the volt meter went to a handy nearby ground. I believe it has to be a high impedance meter, like a DVM, as old school analog VOM meters are too low resistance and will drop the voltage too much.

on this benz, which is actually KE-Jetronics, there's an adjustment of the idle mixture via a set screw that adjusts the position of the air plate relative to the gas meter things.... you put a meter that measures duty cycle on a test pin under the hood, and dial the mixture adjust til the lambda cycle is between 50 and 70% at idle

my only other KJet car was a 1984 VW, and it never had ANY problems but I sold it at about 100K miles and 4 years old. I've never messed with a k-jet volvo, but this document looks like it would be a gold mine.
http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbook...em_repairs.pdf

and more books here,
K-Jet.org | 200 Series

Old 08-19-2012 | 10:49 AM
|

Thanks, the car is running LH2.0. I wish it were CIS, as I am familiar with kjet from my Volkswagens. I have been testing with a vintage dwell meter and wonder what you mean regarding impedance, there is no mention in my bentley manual and the meter is roughly the same age as the car and is a professional model.

Old 08-19-2012 | 11:26 AM
no mo volvo

um, old fashion VOM (Volt-Ohm-Meters) had a fairly low internal resistance (impedance), so if you tried to measure the voltage of a device that has very little current output ability, the act of connecting the meter would change the voltage significantly. digital multimeters are 'high impedance' (many megohms) so they won't affect the circuit nearly as much. in the old days, we had to use a 'VTVM' (vacuum tube volt meter, don't laugh) for this sort of thing.

I'm a lot less familiar with lh2.0 than I am with lh2.2 and 2.4 systems. hesitation from a stop, hmm, I'd be looking for vacuum or air leaks, I think?