84 240...new to this, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 240...new to this, need advice.

So a friend of mine is *giving* me her 1984 240 sedan with about 100K on the clock. I've only seen the car once a year ago, and it's been sitting for two years under a cover.
It looks real straight body-wise, and the interior is a little faded but otherwise in great shape. She replaced the exhaust and driver's side door handle and had regular maintenance on it until she quit driving altogether a couple years ago.
I've been fixing/owning/selling cars since I was 8, so I can fix whatever goes bad. i owned a 74 Volvo 2-door years ago and it was a nightmare...but since I have the opportunity to get a newer free one, what the heck.
I went and looked at it last year like I said and it wouldn't start...the battery is obviously dead, but her insane husband (at the time, he's no longer in the picture) insisted on using a boost-pak to try to start it, and he wanted waaayy too much for the car, so I didn't really press the issue.
The idiot lights would come on intermittently, but no crankee.
I'm fairly sure it just needs a good battery and it'll run.
My question is...what should I be looking to repair/replace right away? What can I expect to deal with from this car?
It's a freebie, so I'm getting it regardless, but i am a poor starving med student and don't have a ton of money to pour into it.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Default Lubricants,stabilizers starting fluid and a fresh battery

I have started a lot of poorly preserved engines that have sat for extended periods of time. I have come to the conclusion that a fresh battery some fresh gas w/ stabilizer some new plugs and a little time will generally coax a tired engine into starting.
First remove the spark plugs and spray a liberal amount of your favorite petroleum based lubricant into each cylinder ie. wd40 lps1,2 or 3, kroil, stp ap-75
next remove the old battery and install new.. by this time the lube will have loosened the piston rings and coated the cylinder walls.
I would pop the distibutor cap and have a look inside for general condition. for a couple of bucks a new rotor button and cap will go far in helping the situation but may be unnecessary. make sure the fluids are all topped off and with the plugs still out and the coil wire disconnected insert the key and turn over the motor for 30 seconds or until the oil pressure registers on the oil pressure gauge or the oil light extinguishes. Be carefull to place rags over the spark plug openings as the clyinders will spew forth oil in mist from the previous step. Also observe the starter duty time limitations
so as not to overheat the starter. After allowing the starter to rest/cool for a few minutes crank again for 20 seconds to clear the cylinders and then install plugs and coil wire. 5 gallons of fresh fuel with stabilizer added usuall will refresh the old fuel and your ready to start. If the first couple of tries dont work ( 5 second cranks of the starter) remove a vacumn hose that leads into the intake manifold and give it a shot of starter fluid.
good luck,if that doesnt work take 2 aspirin 2 shots of tequila and post your result in the morning!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll be going to check it out probably Wednesday afternoon and will post pics.

So what are the common things to look for with this year/model?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Default volvo newbie myself

I'm new to Volvo's myself but from what i can discern, you need to be aware of the following in no particular order..I would hope some of the senior members will add to the list
Timing belt
fuse block corrosion
fuel pump operation main and in tank pump
ABS system opration
Radio anti theft lockout code
electrical quirks, things that dont work ie. window switches lights that come on when there not supposed to and lights that dont come on when they are supposed to. and I'm sure a lot of other things that I'm unaware of.....good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

I just acquired a 240 myself and I just learned one thing, that you don't necessarily need to do the T-belt on these right off the bat. Tech, was telling me that if the timing belt goes out, you just replace it. It's not like new cars that if the t-belt goes out, then there goes the valves and motor. With that said,I would do it, but don't rush on that. I would get the rust issue under control so at least it doesnt get any worse. There are products out there that will essentially give you a pH of 0 thus neutralizing it. I would check out the fuel pumps (internal fuel tank and external), change out the fuel filter, if you can nw cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, air filter.. The basics! Then just drive it. On these 240's they are super reliable cars, every once in a while a relay will go out but they aren't necessarily expensive. These things are fun to drive. Enjoy it and post pics. when you get a chance.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM

I'll be towing the car over to my place Saturday morning. Expect a nice picture post of my new free toy.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with Somthngfrce