88 240 DL Burning Oil / Oil in Intake

Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 240 DL Burning Oil / Oil in Intake

I changed the oil and oil filter and went for a little test drive and she started burning a crazy amount of oil out the exhaust. 1st gear and 2nd gear were file but as soon as I got into third (its an automatic), she kind of hiccuped and then huge clouds of smoke out the exhaust.

I thought I overfilled when adding oil so I let a few quarts out. Then I noticed some oil leaking from the air box. So I took off the whole air intake hoses and this is what I found.

So I replaced the flame trap and oil separator (from IPD). I thought I had it solved but the same thing happened.

I thought that maybe the air filter isn't letting in enough and causing the suction to pull too much oil in the intake. So I took of the air filter completely but still have the same problem.

Here she is idling.

Will probably take it to a shop now because I don't know what else to check or try.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I would perform a compression check on it. I've had a broken ring (not on a Volvo though) that caused enough back pressure in the crankcase to force oil up into the intake. Lower compression in one cylinder would indicate this could be your problem.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What did the oil trap look like. Also is the flame arrestor clogged. Try taking the oil filler cap off while the engine is running and see what kind of pressure you are getting. Funny that this should happen after an oil change. Also the oil looks a little dark brown for new oil . How is your coolant level. The only way I can see you getting that much oil into the intake hose would be through the oil trap system but that would mean excessive blow by. How much oil did you put in and how much oil did you take out. What kind of filter did you use.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by act1292
I would perform a compression check on it. I've had a broken ring (not on a Volvo though) that caused enough back pressure in the crankcase to force oil up into the intake. Lower compression in one cylinder would indicate this could be your problem.

Ill have to take it to a shop to get that done. Working on that now.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
What did the oil trap look like. Also is the flame arrestor clogged. Try taking the oil filler cap off while the engine is running and see what kind of pressure you are getting. Funny that this should happen after an oil change. Also the oil looks a little dark brown for new oil . How is your coolant level. The only way I can see you getting that much oil into the intake hose would be through the oil trap system but that would mean excessive blow by. How much oil did you put in and how much oil did you take out. What kind of filter did you use.
The oil trap was fine, not clogged or anything. I still replaced it because I had everything off anyway.

Here is the oil cap test.

Coolant level is fine, not low at all.

I put in 4 quarts (after draining old oil). I let out about 2 quarts. Dipstick still says oil is full.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you put in 4 qts and removed 2 qts and it is still full then fluid is coming from somewhere. You say coolant is OK but somehow you must be getting it into the oil. Most likely a bad head gasket.