88 240 DL need help w/inst. cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 240 DL need help w/inst. cluster removal

I hope someone can help me...I have gotten a wild hair and taken my whole dash apart to discern why I have no instrument lights and to see if I can rig my odometer to work (yes, I hit the tripometer for about the 3rd time in the last couple of years of volvo ownership) without needing the little gear that may or may not be stripped (I've been told it can be done). I cannot seem to get the panel up over or around my steering wheel. I got the vents, the radio, and the frame out. But now the frame is all turned upside down and jammed up into th dash. On top of that, in all of my getting angry and jerking on things I pulled out the plug for the odometer, and now it won't stick back in it's receptacle, it just falls out. Not to mention there are a couple of other free-hanging wires which I need to find out whether they should be connected or not. Should I just disconnect everything from the back of the panel, and reconnect it all when I'm done (and hope the car doesn't go beserk electrically)? I'd like to get some lamps in if that's the problem, or rig that little interior light adjustor (which only faintly brightens the heat/ac area and nothing more), but I can't for the love of God get to the back of the panel. I think I may actually cry. If I am to disconnect everything, or even if I am to find out what those little wires are hanging down, I need some schematics for the wiring, and I can't seem to find any for free...the best I've found is the low low price of 17.95....for something that's just going to make me more angry. Mechanics looking better and better. Can anyone help?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Default RE: 88 240 DL need help w/inst. cluster removal

You seem to have got yourself in a knot!!

To remove the instrument cluster you did not really need to take the radio and vents out but you do need to disconnect everything from the back to get it clear of the housing.

17.95 for a wiring diagram? Is that US or UK? You can have this one for nothing. Hope it helps and doesn't make you more angry.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4491/0128F4938E8646EAAA18C804EDA5F264.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Default RE: 88 240 DL need help w/inst. cluster removal

I need help with my 1990 volvo 240 wagon. The speedometer is working and all the gears are intact. I even cleaned the board with deox spray. I tried testing the plugs that plug into the back of he instrument panel and not all of them lit up when I tested them. Does this indicate a wiring problem? Also, I cleaned the male parts on the back of the instrument panel with steel wool and sand paper. This didn't seem to help either. I looked at the fuses and noticed that the fourth one from the top would not light up my tester and all the others did. I cleaned this fuse holder and replaced a new fuse, but still no luck. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!