88 Volvo 240 Dl wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 Volvo 240 Dl wont Start

Hi Everyone,

I'm lost as to why my Volvo won't start all of a sudden. On Tuesday it started fine. An hour later just turns over, wont kick in. Here's a couple things I checked for: Timing belt is attached because cam is turning, tried starting with MAF plugged and unplugged, spark coming from coil to distributor. When cranking it, I do smell gas going to the motor. I am unemployed and trying to go on job interviews. So funds are limited. Anybody got any ideas further? I'm basic at best on car diagnosis and repairs.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

Old 01-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull a spark plug after cranking, verify it is wet from fuel. Just because you smell fuel doesn't mean it's getting where it needs to go.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM

-is the battery at the proper voltage/ charge? loose terminal connections? corrosion?
-pull the vacuum line off the front of the fuel pressure regulator (little silver can at the bottom of the fuel rail) is there gas in the line?
-check for damage, burning, scoring or dampness inside the distributor cap
-try to turn your distributor by hand; is it loose?
-do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check these items tomorrow or Saturday and get back to you.
I did have my wife turn the key to the on position while I had my head in the trunk and I didn't hear anything. Does that mean the pump is dead?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aredd95
Thanks for the info. I will check these items tomorrow or Saturday and get back to you.
I did have my wife turn the key to the on position while I had my head in the trunk and I didn't hear anything. Does that mean the pump is dead?

The main pump is located just ahead of the driver side rear wheel. There is a roughly triangular shaped carrier pan which holds the pump and filter. If the pump does not prime, it needs to be tested by getting a jumper wire with a clip at each end and jumpering the fuses on the left side of the driver footwell.

With the key off, Jjumper the left side of fuse 4 to the left side of fuse 6 (always has power) and both the in tank and main pump should run. Scroll down on this link to "pump diagnostics" he does the jumpering with a paper clip.

In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender

Oh, yeah, check your fuses first. A fuse can cause a no start if blown, but these also sometimes develop corrosion at the ends. Spinning the fuse in it's socket usually at least temporarily can reduce this corrosion enough to work. If the pump does not run, there could be a wiring problem, or
perhaps the pump is bad. If the pump runs when jumpered, it is possible the fuel pump relay is bad.

This is a lot of info. Write down each point on a piece of paper and just go through one by one. Make a note of each result.

Do not concern yourself with the in- tank pump for now, a bad in- tank pump is unlikely to cause a no- start.

Last edited by fochs; 01-15-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:31 AM

fochs,

Thanks a lot. I jumped the fuse this morning and the primer pump kicked in and was running. I tried it a couple times and it kicked on both times. I immediately turned the key on and had silence. So, I'm leaning towards the relay? Could that start the vehicle then an hour later failed? Looking at my Haynes manual diagram, it looks like the relay in under the dash? Would that be correct?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 AM

to add more to the story: both the primer and in tank pumps are running. But seems only if I jump fuse 4 to 6. I was told I could jump fuse 4 and 6 at the same time I was trying to start it and that would bypass the fuel relay... No start. I checked the distributor cap inside, looks great. I did check the pressure regulator vacuum line ( silver can on end of fuel rail, located right above distributor cap) line is dry! The battery was replaced the day before the issue occurred. Ironically enough, this problem didn't present itself until I purchased a new battery? I also check the spark plug closest to the front of the car and it was wet with fuel. I am getting spark from the coil. to the distributor? Im lost here

Last edited by Aredd95; 01-17-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Spray some starting fluid in the intake and try to start it. If it fires up it's a gas issue. If not, ignition. Pretty reliable old school method.

No point checking the FPR line, that won't tell you anything.
Is your new battery OK? Better measure the voltage, it may not be holding charge.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM

On the fender, near the battery is a fuse holder for the fuel system ecm. Has that fuse been checked ? Is there power to the fuse holder,when checked with a test light ?

Pull a spark plug,and ground it to the engine block. Have someone crank the engine. Does the spark plug have spark ?
Just a couple of thoughts.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM

im going to check the spark here in a minute. Should I assume that because the plug is wet the fuel system is working properly? now were dealing with a spark issue?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 AM

I checked and am getting spark at the plug. when I tried to start it seemed as if fuel was dumping into the cylinder because it was spraying out the plug hole. I have been trying to start it with the assistance of my van via jumper cables to prevent killing the battery. so im getting fuel to the plug. ive got spark at the plug, but its not firing completely. im at a loss for ideas..

Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by fochs
-is the battery at the proper voltage/ charge? loose terminal connections? corrosion?
-pull the vacuum line off the front of the fuel pressure regulator (little silver can at the bottom of the fuel rail) is there gas in the line?
-try to turn your distributor by hand; is it loose?
should be, its brand new. Also, I've been using my van to jump to save the battery

pulled out the vacuum line, its dry!

nothing detected - nice and clean inside

-try to turn your distributor by hand; is it loose? - no. tight

yes, verified by jumping 4 to 6 fuse. Can hear both pumps running

-removed first spark plug and plug is wet, grounded plug against block getting spark, fuel spraying out plug hole

Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM

-removed first spark plug and plug is wet, grounded plug against block getting spark, fuel spraying out plug hole[/QUOTE]

Sounds super dangerous

Check the 25A blade fuse on the fender comes from battery + terminal; in this holder:

Volvo Fuse Holder 25 Amp - 240 120789 1323312 1323312

Here is a difficult- to- read flowchart:

Board Message

Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM

What's the purpose of that fuse. I do see it hanging loose wrapped in green tape covered in fluid.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aredd95
What's the purpose of that fuse. I do see it hanging loose wrapped in green tape covered in fluid.
The whole fuel injection runs from it is all.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 PM

OK, so I replaced the blade fuse and cleaned up the connection. Still nothing. Check other plugs covered in fuel. Still no start. Not sure where to go from here. Checked the vacuum line coming out of the pressure regulator. Still dry also

Old 01-17-2015, 03:35 PM

So you are getting fuel without jumpering the pump fuses?

What did you mean when you wrote that it's not firing completely?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Yes. I'm getting fuel in the cylinder because I checked the front 2 cylinders and they are wet. Not to mention when I checked the spark on the plug it was coming out of the plug hole as the cylinder was moving. I turn the key it spins over and over but won't engage and stay running

Old 01-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Does your car have a tachometer?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM

no it doesn't.
I cant explain it. it started in my driveway ran fine turned it off, started within a couple seconds of turning the key. went back out an hour later and wouldn't start.

Quick Reply: 88 Volvo 240 Dl wont Start