90 240 run out of gas and now will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 240 run out of gas and now will not start

Well my son drove the 90 240 until it died because it was out of gas. Good first lesson I guess at 16. He said that he added a gallon of gas and then tried to start it but nothing other than the sound on link. He said it originally sputtered once or twice and that was it.

I showed up with my wife and son trying to jump the car. Not sure why but I helped them to try and start it. Later took off the jump cables because I don't think that was the issue.

It tries to turn over but never fires so I'm thinking it's not getting gas. Now I have had this 240 for about 45 days and we love it. It was highly neglected when I purchased it. I did all basic tune-up on it but have yet to install a new fuel filter. (New wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, cleaned throttle body - note it ran great for 2 weeks until now)

I replaced the fuses today thinking maybe it blew a fuse but still not starting.

Vid from last night as my son tried starting it after adding 2 gallons of gas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjAwGTGeyLU&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you think a good plan of attack will be. I'm going to swap out the fuel filter first and plan on seeing if gas will pump out of the line. Thank you to all for the feedback. I was going to start my tie rod replacement but now this.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not personally experienced this, but I think I have read the fuel pumps on these can get dodgy and only run/run well on at least 1/4 tank of gas. If these pumps are cooled by fuel running through it (not sure about this), and it was already marginal, you may have cooked it.

First try some starting fluid/squirt of gas in the TB. See if it fires. If it does, it's almost certainly not getting fuel (if it doesn't fire, you have other problems).

Try filling it past 1/4, see if it starts.

Check to hear if the fuel pump is running when someone cranks it (put your head near the tank, you should hear it). If it's not, you probably have a bad pump.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I would do is pull the fuel filter. Almost every time I buy a car I get one with a neglected fuel filter, and for some other stupid reason I cannot help but to try and blow though it once I take it out. one time my filter was so bad the breath pressure built up and shot gas back at my face when I released my lips. Plus you can never go wrong with a nice clean filter.

Like Dnarb said listen for the fuel pump when the car is turned on, however we have two pumps to deal with one just a little behind the drivers seat in a little cage with your fuel filter and one in the gas tank. If you don't hear the pump don't jump the gun just yet, there is a slight chance it could be the fuel pump relay.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 AM

What John said. Without trying to blow through it (BTDT).

Also, if it is a pump, likely it is the in-tank pump. If you hear a pump running, disconnect the exterior pump. If you hear no pump noise, then you know it's the interior.

Last edited by dnarby; 01-19-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tox_slaughter
Well my son drove the 90 240 until it died because it was out of gas. Good first lesson I guess at 16. He said that he added a gallon of gas and then tried to start it but nothing other than the sound on link. He said it originally sputtered once or twice and that was it.

I showed up with my wife and son trying to jump the car. Not sure why but I helped them to try and start it. Later took off the jump cables because I don't think that was the issue.

It tries to turn over but never fires so I'm thinking it's not getting gas. Now I have had this 240 for about 45 days and we love it. It was highly neglected when I purchased it. I did all basic tune-up on it but have yet to install a new fuel filter. (New wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, cleaned throttle body - note it ran great for 2 weeks until now)

I replaced the fuses today thinking maybe it blew a fuse but still not starting.

Vid from last night as my son tried starting it after adding 2 gallons of gas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjAwGTGeyLU&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you think a good plan of attack will be. I'm going to swap out the fuel filter first and plan on seeing if gas will pump out of the line. Thank you to all for the feedback. I was going to start my tie rod replacement but now this.
First pull a spark plug and see if it is wet? If so you have fuel . Take that plug and attach the SP wire and ground out the threads and try to start it to see if you have spark. (hold the wire with an insulated pliers.) Also take off the oil fill cap and make sure the cam is turning when you try to start the cap. Pending your results should determine what to do next.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

That video sure sounds like no fuel.

Squirt some gas in the TB. If no fire, replace fuel filter, fill past 1/4. If still no fire, pull a plug and check for spark, and check for gas vapors coming out of the plug hole.

If there's gas & spark, next up would be compression & timing (spark & valve), not much left after that.

But my money is that if the filter isn't plugged, a marginal pump and running it dry was the straw that broke it. Good thing is relatively easy/cheap fix.

Last edited by dnarby; 01-19-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: boo boo
Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The #1 issue with NO STARTS AFTER RUNNING OUT OF GAS is that the fuel pump is burned up. Never try to start a car after it runs out of gas.

You can check/listen for the fuel pump to see if it is running or pumping pressure.

Have your son watch this video. Most drivers should.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM

great videos. Thanks guys for the feedback.

Replaced the fuel filter without too much trouble. Had to use an impact wrench to remove the end nuts. The fuel that came out of the filter was just about dark as old motor oil.

I also drove up to IPD and replaced the fuel pump relay with the aftermarket.

Still no start.

I did the fuse box bypass from fuse #6 to both sides of #4. I did hear noises coming from tank pump and inline pump. I tried starting the 240 but still same noise as earlier.

Is it odd that I can only get the pumps to make a sound if I give direct power to the #4 fuse box?

I have spark to the distributor from the coil but haven't tested the spark plugs yet. I will post an update in the next few days.

Question on spraying starter fluid in the TB. Do I just pull the air intake hose and spray starting fluid right in the TB? Should I disconnect the MAF sensor when I do this?

Attached Thumbnails 90 240 run out of gas and now will not start-fuel-filter.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Sure it's not the timing belt??

Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 PM

re: Starting fluid, I pull a hose off the intake tube before the throttle body, after the MAF/AMM. A short squirt will do.

If you got real lucky, you didn't pooch your fuel pump.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Did a spark test tonight with an inline-plug tester from Autozone. I've never tested spark in the past so maybe this is normal? Good spark on plug 1 but very faint on #2 and 3 & 4 I couldn't see anything. Also I have spark out of the coil.

Note new plugs, cap, rotor, and BOUGICORD plug wires installed less than 30 days ago prior to 240 being run out of gas.

I forgot to purchase starting fluid so I will post that in the next few days.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM

We have a 1988 240, this car has refused to start and been towed on two prior occasions. Very similar indications, once at the Garage the cars runs fine, first time they replaced a computer (ECM?) , second time they replaced the Fuel relay. This weekend it did it again, sat in a parking lot overnight, next day, still wouldn't start, engine turned, not so much as a sputter. I let it sit another night, still wouldn't start, so I figured I'd try starting fluid, I disconnected the air intake at the Air filter, squirted for about 3-4 seconds and VIOLA! it started and continued to run. I drove it directly to the Garage, they have had it for two days and have not been able to duplicate the problem. This is my Wife's car and she is emotionally attached, but I don't want her out and about in a questionable car. Is this a common problem? Can these vapor lock? It had spark each time, so I knew it was fuel related.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

no, they can't 'vapor lock', thats an old carburetor thing.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Update **

Well I believe that I may have found the problem. I'm hoping that I don't have other damage but take a look at this timing belt. Time to look for posts on this subject now.

Thanks to everyone. fochs looks like you called this one.

Attached Thumbnails 90 240 run out of gas and now will not start-img_5416.jpg   90 240 run out of gas and now will not start-img_9640.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM

Yes your sure did find it....I doubt you did any other damage though ...this is not an interference engine , so that means your good to go one you get that timing belt back on.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Guess it didn't run out of gas.

That no start video tell people to check the timing.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Your videos are awesome RSPI !

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM

** Update

The 240 is running once again! It was the timing belt. As a novice DIY I would recommend doing this job yourself. As long as you take your time and go step by step its not too challenging. Thanks for all the feedback!