'91 240 auto trans question/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 240 auto trans question/advice

Last summer my trusty '91 240 stopped going into the highest gear, and as a result I don't want to go over 50-55mph, and at those speeds it's now sucking up a lot of $fuel. I had wanted to save this car for my 16yr old son, but now I question whether it's worth it. One Volvo mechanic looked at it (with a 50% track record with me)and said the tranny was shot, get a different vehicle, or an expensive rebuild or swap-out. Another mech/friend told me he thought it was just a relay (he hasn't seen the car); that I should check somewhere for it behind the glove compartment. The overdrive light does go on/off when I push the button. Unrelated, but the car also needs a new thermostat, wiper motor, drivers seat, windshield and center console. I don't have a lot of dough or time to throw at this car, but I'm undecided as to what to do. I can do some basic stuff like replace an alternator and thermostat, but I'm challenged by anything much more complicated than that. Any advice?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search overdrive relay and overdrive solenoid here on the forums, you should get good results on what you need to do, it's not terribly expensive.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by padlorski
Last summer my trusty '91 240 stopped going into the highest gear, and as a result I don't want to go over 50-55mph, and at those speeds it's now sucking up a lot of $fuel. I had wanted to save this car for my 16yr old son, but now I question whether it's worth it. One Volvo mechanic looked at it (with a 50% track record with me)and said the tranny was shot, get a different vehicle, or an expensive rebuild or swap-out. Another mech/friend told me he thought it was just a relay (he hasn't seen the car); that I should check somewhere for it behind the glove compartment. The overdrive light does go on/off when I push the button. Unrelated, but the car also needs a new thermostat, wiper motor, drivers seat, windshield and center console. I don't have a lot of dough or time to throw at this car, but I'm undecided as to what to do. I can do some basic stuff like replace an alternator and thermostat, but I'm challenged by anything much more complicated than that. Any advice?
Ok so first things first...If your light is going on and off then it can be only these things.

1. Low on ATF (have to be REALLY low though)
2. Bad Relay (yes white relay behind glove compartment 5 minute fix with only tool needed being a phillips head screwdriver to get the glove box out) Once Glove box is out look inside to the left directly above the center right heater vent and the relay is there.)

3. Bad OD Solenoid
4. Broken wires
5. Bad OD(Over drive) unit

So here are some simple steps to eliminating your problem.

1. Either you or your son climb under the car from the driver side and locate the OD solenoid which is mounted to the side of the tranny(usually has a black plastic cover on it unless it's been destroyed) and put your hand on top of it.

2. Turn key to the acessary position(no need to start it) and push the OD button on the side of the shifter.

3. Ask your son or vice versa if he feels a "Click" If not, you can take a test light to the solenoid input then push the button on shifter and see if test light lights up or not. If it lights up then you have power to the solenoid which means relay should be good but I have seen a weak relay light up a test light before so you may want procede to replacing OD relay with one you know for certain is good or a new. If it does not light up even with a new relay then procede to step 4.

4. Check for any severed or melted wires under the car. The exhaust is so close and sometimes after many years of driving the either melt or get brittle and break apart. If broken get more wire and butt connect back together.

5. If you do feel a good strong click then you might have a bad OD unit. However, I never give up so easily...I would replace the OD solenoid with a good used or new one first...I have done this several times for clients and you would be surprised how many times it was just a weak solenoid acting as if it were good...now if that fails...either keep driving car with a bad OD(MANY 240 drivers do they don't even realize they even have a 4th gear ) or replace the transmission.

Now onto the other items each item you mentioned takes maybe 20-30 minutes most, besides the windshield (inexperienced person) me 5-10 minutes...If I were you I would replace the thermostat first and foremost...cannot drive a car that's overheating. Are you sure it is bad? Then I would move on to the next most critical item(windshield wiper motor) make sure you check your fuses and use a test light on the motor to make sure it is bad...then get a new one on ebay for $59 or find a good used one at a junk yard for $8. VERY simple to replace...hold off on a front seat and a ebrake center console until you find a good used one at a fair price...these items are not "crucial" also if the windshield is considered "legal" wait until you can come up with $150 to replace it....might even find one for $130 installed that's what I pay. Or your other choice is to buy a brand new car with a warranty and have a payment for 3-5 yrs...or buy another used car that will need the same or more work then the one you have....Good luck! Hope this helped

Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typhoon and Volvoguy, Thanks so much. I will let you know how things progressed.
Cheers!