92 740 fuel pump test??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 740 fuel pump test??

I saw the thread for the post on 92 240 fuel pump test and was hoping to find the same kind of site for 740 fuel pump test and repair.
Can I jump fuse 1 & 11(I think) to test pump functionality, and where is the main pump located?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends a lot on whether you have Rex Regina fuel injection or Bosch LH2.4 injection. If you're car has a cylindrical standard looking coil you have LH and 2 fuel pumps, a lift pump in the tank and the main inline pump under the car. A square looking coil indicates Regina and you will have one fuel pump only, located in the tank.
Since you jump right in without listing any symptoms, I'll guess you're having fueling issues. Generally, it isn't the pump but rather the fuel pump relay located behind the fuse panel.
Here's pic with everything out of the way. When you remove the fuel pump relay, you will see 2 rows of 3 female connectors. Run a jumper from the lower left socket to the middle socket on the right row. That will energize the fuel pump(s) continuously...even with the key off. If you hear the pump(s) running, see if the car starts and runs. If so, replace the relay. Don't throw the old one away as it can be repaired. I say get a new one as I've never had a repaired one last more than a year before failing again...they make a great spare though.
I've driven quite a few miles using a jumper in this fashion until I could get to a parts store but a word of advice...there's a lot of current there. For other than short term testing, use heavy gauge wire, 12 gauge seems to do well.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Maybe there is other diagnostic that I need to do to determine the issue at hand as I have done the jumper test and received no function from the pumps. This problem came about after i nearly ran the car out of gas, after catching my fueling error I pumped in a couple of gallons and thought all would be well. The car began to sputter and eventually die. Note that the car did start a couple of times and barely run down the street before it gave up all together. This is why I immediately dove in the thought of the pump being bad.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture of an intank fuel pump attached to the sender assembly. It's from a 240 but you get the idea.
Name:  PICT0008-20.jpg
Views: 4261
Size:  98.5 KB
I include the photo for a couple of reasons. The fuel pump is just an electric motor with an impeller to push gasoline. Ever wondered what keeps these pumps from overheating? It's the gasoline the pump sits in. When you run your gas tank constantly so low that you feel the need to add a couple of gallons, the pump runs too hot and dies. Also, there is a small rubber hose that connects the pump to the metal pipe of the sender/hanger assembly for gasoline. That small connector pipe can rot and suck air. Generally, that only happens below half a tank and usually allows restarts although the car may not run well. Asfordoing the jumper trick, did you physically go to the rear of the car and listen for the pumps? Did you remove the gas cap and put your ear to the opening? Now that you know where the under car inline pump is...did you get under the car and put your hand on it to confirm run/no run? I presume you have checked the fuses. Assuming you have jumpered the correct connections, my next test if the fuel pumps are definitely running is to check for power at the pumps. If you don't have power then you have a wiring fault. If you do have power to the under car pump then rap on it to see if you can free it. Regardless, the pump really is no good.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM

I have a round distributor cap which from your description means I don't have the Regina. I do not know where the main inline pump is. I have gotten under the car but can't find the main inline pump, where is it? Also could you please reattach the photo of the relay so I can make sure I am making the right connection during the test.

Last edited by brmicbman; 01-26-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the relay...notice the clip on the left side? When you pull it, there are two rows of three female connections. Jump from bottom left to middle right. It's always hot, even with the key off. The pumps should run continuously. The system is a closed loop and the gasoline will merely cirulate to the fuel rail and back to the tank. Some pumps are very quiet and you may need to listen very carefully.
Stop...it is not the distributor that is round that deterines what system you have. It is the coil. Follow the big wire in the direct center of the distributor cap back to what is plugs into. If it is a cylinder, you have 2 pumps. If it looks like the following picture, you have Regina injection and only one pump and it is in the tank. If you have not found the fuel pump under the car with a diligent search, I suspect you have Regina. Still, you should be able to see the fuel filter under the car if Regina. If there was a fuel pump under car, it would be right next to the filter.
Here's the Regina coil...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
And here is a standard coil...although yours will most likely be black...
Name:  PICT0006-4.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  74.0 KB

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Yes it is the Regina system. Now I need to tackle getting the pump from the tank. Do I have to drop the tank to access the pump in a wagon?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure there is an access panel in the back...someone else w/ a 7 series wagon might chime in...