'94 940 w/ problems for $200?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 940

Grab it!! Too much over analyzing for that small amount of cheese!!!!! Grab it yo!!!!
Goldenblock

The following users liked this post:
silvermine (02-27-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the turbo model. It seems unlikely to me that the head gasket would blow and leak in that area - i.e., over the water pump... and it only leaked coolant. AND there was artifacts of the stop seal radiator additive on the water pump, suggesting to me that ring gasket failure rather than a head gasket. So I think the owner was just not describing the problem correctly.

Last edited by mschultz373; 02-24-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Here is a picture of the coolant leak in question. (1/2)

(2/2)

Old 02-27-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree! parts alone worth way more than 200 so if you have a place to put it? for free? then yeah go for it then see what's up
at your leasure...

Originally Posted by Goldenblock
Grab it!! Too much over analyzing for that small amount of cheese!!!!! Grab it yo!!!!
Goldenblock

Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

The engine looks a mess, I doubt the rest of it is any better, certainly not a loved Volvo... Hate to see that...

Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by lev
The engine looks a mess, I doubt the rest of it is any better, certainly not a loved Volvo... Hate to see that...
Hey, if you don't have anything nice to say....

This Volvo is gonna be getting lots of love and rejuvenation. The main question is whether that leak is actual a head gasket leak or water pump leak....

Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the top of the water pump has a round seal that fits into a hole in the bottom of the head where it overhangs the pump. its THAT seal which frequently leaks, ESPECIALLY if they use chinese seals. You want the genuine Volvo seal, or Reinz, who makes the Volvo seal.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...o-head-1336255

its also a bit tricky to install the pump without tearing that seal, you kind of have to seat that and rock the rest of the pump into place.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
the top of the water pump has a round seal that fits into a hole in the bottom of the head where it overhangs the pump. its THAT seal which frequently leaks, ESPECIALLY if they use chinese seals. You want the genuine Volvo seal, or Reinz, who makes the Volvo seal.

its also a bit tricky to install the pump without tearing that seal, you kind of have to seat that and rock the rest of the pump into place.
I hope that's where the leak is; it appears to be, but I'm going to run a combustion test just to be safe. I did the pump on my 240 and yeah, not a fun job. But I think that's the culprit here on the 940...

Old 02-28-2020, 06:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

From the looks of it there the seal leaked and lost a lot of coolant. The engine probably overheated and you'll find the head gasket blown. You can replace the pump and fire it up but check the coolant tank. When running if you see a bunch of bubbles that is a good indication your head gasket is blown.

Don't get me wrong - all of that is fixable.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pierce

Pierce, I've always wondered about Reinz. Do they make all the Volvo seals?

Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 488 Likes on 469 Posts

My recall is Victor Reinz is OEM for at least some of the Volvo seals (I've used them for cam seals with good results) but I'd also consider Elring and Corteco as quality vendors.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:41 PM

I did a combustion leak test and the 940 passed on first blush. The previous owner did put a radiator head gasket stop-leak, but I am heartened that it may in fact just be the water pump ring seal. Will repeat the combustion test again tomorrow.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:41 PM
lev

That leak does seem to be coming from that pump seal ring, you can tell the additive by the whitish residue, and it looks like a pretty good size leak. All the rust spots show that the cooling system was in bad need of a flush!
How is the rest of this car? The mechanicals, engine/tranny, are easy, the cosmetics are the killer in these cars at this point.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM

I have a couple questions (some with pictures).

What is the best repair manual for this vehicle and engine? I have the Bently manual for 240s but I imagine that is only of limited help despite it covering the B230FT in those years.

Second is a couple photos. One is that there isn't a fan or shroud; is that standard for these cars? Next is that there is an electrical connector near the battery that looks like it should be hooked up to something but isn't?

Is there supposed to be a fan or shroud here?

What does this connector attach to, if anything

and for good measure, of course:

and here he is! no body rust although many small imperfectios.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by mschultz373
I have a couple questions (some with pictures).

What is the best repair manual for this vehicle and engine? I have the Bently manual for 240s but I imagine that is only of limited help despite it covering the B230FT in those years.

Second is a couple photos. One is that there isn't a fan or shroud; is that standard for these cars? Next is that there is an electrical connector near the battery that looks like it should be hooked up to something but isn't?

and for good measure, of course:

and here he is! no body rust although many small imperfectios.

Sadly, there isn't one...

starting in 1992, they went to a larger radiator, and a larger 2-speed electric fan, and got rid of the mechanical fan..

There's probably one of those on each side, they are for the optional factory fog lamps. to use them, you also need to replace the dashboard foglamp switch from the 2-position switch for just the rear fog that the car has now, to a 3 position switch for both front and rear fogs. its already wired for this. the 3 position switch can be found in a 940GLE or 960. and of course, you need to connect them to fog lamps, either aftemarket ones like Hella MicroDE, mounted under the bumper, or replace the headlight assemblies and grill and trim pieces with ones from a GLE that have the factory fogs integrated into the headlights

Old 03-02-2020, 03:22 PM

I know IPD carries a 940 manual that they sell on flashdrives; but I assume the Bentley will have sufficient overlap with the B230FT that, supplementing with youtube and forums, I'll be ok.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:37 PM
no mo volvo

Some of the most useful stuff I've found on 7xx/9xx is in this FAQ...
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.html

biggest differences w/ the 240 are
  • 240 turbos were old K-Jet injection systems, 940 turbos are LH 2.4
  • rear suspension is very different. both ahve same sort of Dana live axle, but past that, the swing arms, thrust arms are in a completely different arrangement
  • dashboard and internal electricals are completely different.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:15 PM
lev

I wouldn't buy any paper manuals for a 940. All the info you'd need is on the internet, just Google it; besides the forums for these cars are great for getting help. The specs, basic things are covered by the Bentley 240 you have...

Old 03-03-2020, 12:57 AM

So next questions....

the car's check engine light is on. The owner's manual says this indicates a problem with the emissions control. Would that mean the oxygen sensor?

Also, does anyone know off-hand the size of the bolts for the header to the down pipe clamp? FCP charges $50 for a set of 3 bolts. I figure I can get replacements at Lowes....

Old 03-03-2020, 05:01 PM
lev

It could mean that... But you have OBD1 system on a 1994 so just go to the diagnosis box and see what it says...

Quick Reply: '94 940 w/ problems for $200?