940 turbo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 turbo conversion

I know there are a sh.. load of forums for this, but I cant find none. i wont to put a turbo in my 92 940 red block. My question is, I seen forums awhile ago that said I need ecu, and computers and other electronic, but why. If u add a regular turbo u dont need that. I wont the turbo from the 740(B230FT 160 hp). Please tell me what exactly what I need...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are definitely going to have to replace the transmission. The transmissions on the 940 turbos are stronger and are also a must if you do the conversion.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 PM

can someone plz tell me if I need any extra parts other then the turbo, manifold, tubes, intercooler...

Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 AM

I'm unsure of how that motor is built, but typically you can't just add a turbo and expect results. Turbocharging means increased airflow, therefor, you also need increased fuel. Apart from that, The added pressure means more heat (There-for more cooling, like methanol spray or a larger rad) and strain on the engine (Stronger Rods, Forged Pistons). For example, I've read the internals on the B230 are weak. Putting a little turbo on my 85 DL would be suicide. Depending on what you intend to do with a turbo, and what kind of power you want will dictate what else you need.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92_940
I know there are a sh.. load of forums for this, but I cant find none. i wont to put a turbo in my 92 940 red block. My question is, I seen forums awhile ago that said I need ecu, and computers and other electronic, but why. If u add a regular turbo u dont need that. I wont the turbo from the 740(B230FT 160 hp). Please tell me what exactly what I need...
The best way to do this is to find a donor car in a salvage yard and buy the engine and drive train along with the CPU. Then just do a transplant. If you want to do it by piece meal it will require you to get or develop a parts list and start buying the parts. The easiest way to start is first by buying all new sensors then get the turbo head and manifolds. This would give you all of the injectors too. Make sure you replace the fuel system (pumps/filters, etc.) . I can go on but you should get the point. I've done numerous engine transplants and to do it right you need to plan it out. Also be prepared to take the car out of service for 3-6 months unless you work on the car full time. It will then maybe take a month. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:59 PM

I agree with Jagtoes. It takes alot of guess work out, and you get an engine with the turbo already installed and prepared for it.

although

These engines are getting quite old now. Anything you buy, especially from a scrapyard should be inspected through and through. You don't want to bring it home, put it in and find out you have a damaged head gasket or it knocks. It you could start it before you bought it, you'd be laughing.

So tell us, what are your intentions.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by VileSmile
I agree with Jagtoes. It takes alot of guess work out, and you get an engine with the turbo already installed and prepared for it.

although

These engines are getting quite old now. Anything you buy, especially from a scrapyard should be inspected through and through. You don't want to bring it home, put it in and find out you have a damaged head gasket or it knocks. It you could start it before you bought it, you'd be laughing.

So tell us, what are your intentions.
I just wanna get some more power out of it,, I was also thinkin of the (B6304: 2.9 L 24-valve inline-6, naturally aspirated), will this be easier...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 PM

I just wanna get some more power out of it,, I was also thinkin of the (B6304: 2.9 L 24-valve inline-6, naturally aspirated), will this be easier...

If you want power then put a nitrous kit on it. Any engine swap will cost time and money.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM

I can't advise strong enough against nitrous. It's not the easy power it's made out to be.

Like a turbo, you're delivering ALOT more oxygen to the combustion chamber, there-for you need more fuel, again. You also need timing adjustment to prevent detonation The stock engine on ANY of these old engines will not accept the increased cylinder pressure, and you will damage something.

Don't do it.

If your simply looking for more power. What's your budget. There are plenty of basic modifications you can perform yourself without breaking the bank or damaging anything. Even going with another engine, if you do the research can lead to some awesome results, if you do it properly. Let me know what kind of figures your looking for, and I'll draw something up

1)Your budget
2) Your timeframe
3) Your expectations

Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by VileSmile
I can't advise strong enough against nitrous. It's not the easy power it's made out to be.

Like a turbo, you're delivering ALOT more oxygen to the combustion chamber, there-for you need more fuel, again. You also need timing adjustment to prevent detonation The stock engine on ANY of these old engines will not accept the increased cylinder pressure, and you will damage something.

Don't do it.

If your simply looking for more power. What's your budget. There are plenty of basic modifications you can perform yourself without breaking the bank or damaging anything. Even going with another engine, if you do the research can lead to some awesome results, if you do it properly. Let me know what kind of figures your looking for, and I'll draw something up

1)Your budget
2) Your timeframe
3) Your expectations
My budget is maybe $700-$1000
no timeframe
Just 150-225hp or more. Some to compete with newer cars...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Well, you won't get another 225 horsepower out of that car for 1000 bucks on the stock engine lol.

The problem with the naturally aspirated volvo engines, is they are gutless. Witch is why they offered a turbo in the first place.

I read that those cars are offered with the B230FT. 162HP is'nt much, but it's a nice platform if you're interested in taking it further. A more aggresive cam, upgrades to the turbo, so on so forth.

Now, The problem is price. This is a sought after motor. For a rebuilt engine, Long Block. Your looking at about 2 grand. Now that includes, the entire rotating assembly, rods, pistons, cylinder head (With valves, rockers, springs etc), cam, and since its a B230FT I would assume a turbo as well. However this means, you get no intake manifold. No injection system, no accessories, no motor mounts, no transmission. Nothing.

Your second option you could split into two.

A) Find a wreck with a B230FT in it, or someone willing to sell a car in crap condition with the motor you need. You're still looking at maybe 500 bucks if the cars mostly a write-off.
B) Theres a fair amount of functioning Volvos in complete working order. Find one, Drive one.

Basically. For your price. It would be cheaper and more effective for you to find one of these cars, maybe put a few hundred bucks into it, and drive it as is.

I found a purple one here for 1500 bucks. Pretty sure I could nag 500 bucks off it. If you could place yourself in THAT situation. You can still achieve 1) Your budget 2) Anytime Frame, and most important 3) Your expectations. Save alot of work too

Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM

My budget is maybe $700-$1000
no timeframe
Just 150-225hp or more. Some to compete with newer cars...
Sorry but you aren't going to do much for $1000. Better wait until you get $3-4K available to spend. Do we assume you will be doing the work or will someone else be doing it. Good luck