!981 245 Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2024 | 04:09 PM
|
Default !981 245 Fuel issue

Hi there. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just purchased a 1981 wagon. It had a bunch of work done to it including a complete engine rebuild, all new tie rods, ball joins, shocks, struts, too much to list....
However.... There is some funky wiring going on in the fuel pump system. The warm up regulator is not wired up, the pump runs constantly, and it loses power within minutes of driving, and turning it off and back on gets you about a minute of driving.

So far we found no tank pump, so we put one in. We saw that the pump looked like the wrong one, and took one out of the same setup to try, It acted the same, and seems like it is just running non stop, and getting louder, which screams over pressure to me.
I do not have a pressure gauge, and I have no idea on the original wiring. Could really use some guidance here....
We do know the previous owner went through 4 main pumps burning them up, and after all the money into it gave up....

It appears to be a CIS instead of Ktype, but I can't swear to it....

Old 10-12-2024 | 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldHippie
I do not have a pressure gauge, .
Sorry, You WILL NOT be able to fix that fuel system without a fuel pressure gauge. (and a wiring diagram) That fuel system runs at about 80 PSI - much higher than electronic fuel injection and will require the appropriate feeder and main fuel pumps to generate and keep that much pressure available. There's a reason the previous owner gave up - those systems are not hard to fix - if you have experience in them (and a compatible fuel pressure gauge) - but can be challenging for those new to the system since it has not been used since the mid 1980s.

As a last resort - you could try to find a intake manifold and carburetor for that engine. That engine was used as a marine engine with a carb in the 1980s

Last edited by hoonk; 10-12-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2024 | 07:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by hoonk
Sorry, You WILL NOT be able to fix that fuel system without a fuel pressure gauge. (and a wiring diagram) That fuel system runs at about 80 PSI - much higher than electronic fuel injection and will require the appropriate feeder and main fuel pumps to generate and keep that much pressure available. There's a reason the previous owner gave up - those systems are not hard to fix - if you have experience in them (and a compatible fuel pressure gauge) - but can be challenging for those new to the system since it has not been used since the mid 1980s.

As a last resort - you could try to find a intake manifold and carburetor for that engine. That engine was used as a marine engine with a carb in the 1980s
Trying to find an EFI or carb setup, but I honestly need to use the car, so I am going to find the fastest route.
I know how to setup a fuel pressure gauge, and I guess I can order or borrow one, but I think my main issue is the wiring, which I am good at tracing, and troubleshooting, but I do not have a good schematic.
Any how to guides you might point me to?

Thank you !!!

Old 10-12-2024 | 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldHippie
I honestly need to use the car,
Sorry, not sure how to respond - a 1981 CIS car that does not run and has many existing problems - is not something to depend on.

Old Today | 06:57 PM
|

Originally Posted by hoonk
Sorry, not sure how to respond - a 1981 CIS car that does not run and has many existing problems - is not something to depend on.
Ok, I ordered a weber kit.
One question.... Having past experience on a lot of older vehicles... I know the tank pump is too high of pressure.
My plan is to remove the tank pump, replace with hose, and put a low pressure 5-7psi where the main fuel pump goes.

Does this sound right?