All warning lights on/off/on/off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't insulting him more than asking him to elaborate beyond the obvious. Touchy touchy.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the same problem

Originally Posted by dmg4
Ah ha! This may be a good clue: In my original posting I indicated that the headlights seems to get brighter when the warning lights came on. Tonight, I noticed that not only do the headlights get brighter, but the blower fan definitely jumps up a notch in speed whenever the dash warning lights come on, and then drops back to normal speed when the warning lights go out. So, what we have here is an intermittent increase in system voltage across the board. Can be due to grounding? Is there anything other than the voltage regulator that can cause voltage to spike in such a way?

If the warning lights come on with increased regularity, I'll try to get a voltage reading at the battery as this is happening and report back.
I am having the exact same problem... I really could use some ideas of what is causing this and how to fix it... Please help...

Old 10-07-2021, 04:39 AM

I am having the exact same problem.
Well, then it might just have exactly the same cause, which is described in the thread above: it was a bad voltage regulator. Not the wiring nightmare and mechanic from hell story that appears mid-thread, but from the OP (me).

Now, if you also have the same Bosch alternator I had on my 1992 (seven years ago.... sniff... God, miss her)... where was I? Oh yes.

You likely have a bad voltage regulator, and if it's on a Bosch alternator, you are going to have to get another complete alternator. If you can confirm that is is indeed the voltage regulator, visit IPD.com: they have the correct part. You'll need a Voltmeter, knowledge of where to hold the + and - probes (easy... even the Autozone schmucks can show you), and you'll need to catch it in the act of overcharging. You can also download the diagnostic codes from the OBD system (search the forum for the method, it's very easy). If you get the code for "overcharge/undercharge", it's the voltage regulator.

Or you can gamble that I'm right, fire the parts cannon, and just replace it and see if it's cured.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:08 AM
Default 91 Volvo 240 - Warning Lights On Briefly

I replace the alternator battery as well, I still have the same issue, any ideas what it could be?

Old 12-22-2021, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy no warning lights

My alternator is smoked and all of the warning lights went dead on my 1988 240 sedan. Speedo too no longer operates. When I turn the ignition on I thought I would have power behind the board on the blue wire to the speedo and the solid blue wire to the large female circular connector, but no dice. The Bentley manual schematics leave much to be desired. Where can I get a better schematic.

This all began by replacing the odometer gears to get the odometer working. I have made sure the connection to the ignition switch is secure, and power does go to the fuse that gives power to the blue wires when the ignition is on.

Is there a connector in the harness that I might have loosened?