ATF Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF Change

After 2,347 miles, i made it back to Maine from Denver. Trip went real smooth and only lost alittle bit less than a quart every fill up going about 90 at 3500rpms. Not to bad in my opinion. But the one weary part was the tranny fluid. When we checked it before it left, at temp, running it was on the minimum line. I wasn't to worried about it but it wasn't cherry red anymore, but not burnt either. In between.

So now i need to change the fluid and have searched around on here alot and hear alot of different ideas, opinions and stories. I know a power flush is not recommended, and neither is the hose into the bucket, even tho it seems to sound like the best way to do it yourself. What is the best way to change and replace ALL fluid. Im assuming i still have Dex IID and i know thats no longer made, so what would be the best next alternative? Dex III? Or Synthetic? Ive had really hard shifting between all gears up at one time or another, some days are better than others, but to shift normally at normal acceleration i have to 'feather' my accelerator in order to shift without a huge thud or jerk, im assuming thats from the low fluid? But when im under hard acceleration it shifts better, but still not perfect, although imnot expecting that from a 20 year old car. Ideas?! Best fluid? Synthetic? Best Method? Thanks!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 AM

OH. And I hit 200k on the trip

Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by schwalbe181
bravo. I'm still working on that.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwalbe181
Said it before and I'll say it again and again...flushing is the preferred and Volvo recommended way to service the 4 speed Aisin Warner automatic transmission. If it were the Borg Warner 3 speed then you would drop the pan...Unless your pump is already bad...flushing will not damage it unless you run it dry...completely dry for some time. So, you can do it anyway you want but really the only way to get it CLEAN is to flush it. Dropping the pan and draining then refilling with new fluid will never be as clean as flushing just fact and physics, you can never get ALL the old fluid out. Volvo used to recommend dropping the pan and inspecting the filter on a tranny service but that changed in the mid 80's....with that being said, at 200k if your filter has never been changed or inspected you might want to do it now especially if there are any signs of a malfunction etc. So you can either just flush it or flush it and drop pan to inspect the filter and see if it needs to be changed. Just make sure you do not run it dry...I'm sure you won't. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Flushing doesn't change all the fluid. You clearly don't have a full understanding of how automatic transmissions work. You have demonstrated this in previous posts.
The transmission cooler circuit of an automatic transmission is a small, low pressure branch line, it is not full flow from the pump, so it takes up to 20 litres of fluid to ensure complete exchange of fluids in this manner. Flushing is great for doing very little. How do you clean the pan and filter? Why not just do the job properly instead of half assed?
I've never seen a recommendation from a Volvo genuine service manual that recommends flushing using this method, please provide a link or reference for this.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Flushing doesn't change all the fluid. You clearly don't have a full understanding of how automatic transmissions work. You have demonstrated this in previous posts. <br />
The transmission cooler circuit of an automatic transmission is a small, low pressure branch line, it is not full flow from the pump, so it takes up to 20 litres of fluid to ensure complete exchange of fluids in this manner. Flushing is great for doing very little. How do you clean the pan and filter? Why not just do the job properly instead of half assed?<br />
I've never seen a recommendation from a Volvo genuine service manual that recommends flushing using this method, please provide a link or reference for this.
<br />
<br />

Obviously your backyard mechanic skills have left you in the past. Volvo service bulletin came out long ago about changing filters on the AW70...instead of always knocking people why don't you shut your pie hole and learn something smart guy. http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/TransmissionAuto.htm#7XX940FluidFlush

Also I will see if I can find the bulletin from the 1980's for you cause I know your ego is too big to believe I am correct...Buffoon..

Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Flushing doesn't change all the fluid. You clearly don't have a full understanding of how automatic transmissions work. You have demonstrated this in previous posts. <br />
The transmission cooler circuit of an automatic transmission is a small, low pressure branch line, it is not full flow from the pump, so it takes up to 20 litres of fluid to ensure complete exchange of fluids in this manner. Flushing is great for doing very little. How do you clean the pan and filter? Why not just do the job properly instead of half assed?<br />
<br />
<br />

Obviously your backyard mechanic skills have left you in the past. Volvo service bulletin came out long ago about changing filters on the AW70...instead of always knocking people why don't you shut your pie hole and learn something smart guy. http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/TransmissionAuto.htm#7XX940FluidFlush

Also I will see if I can find the bulletin from the 1980's for you cause I know your ego is too big to believe I am correct...Buffoon..

Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned
Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Smile

schwalbe181 - Just relating my experience with a 1992 940 non-turbo. At about 115,000 when hot the trans would chatter a bit when put into reverse, so I babied it. At about 245,000 the trans developed a leak where the cooler lines secured to the bellhousing, spliced together with rubber hose and clamps. At 380,000 one of the repaired lines had to be repaired again. At 420,000 the overdrive sometimes would not engage so I used the pump into a bucket method using 12 qts of Dextron III. Reverse chatter and occasional fail to shift into overdrive gone. Car retired at 484,000 miles. Again not an arguement, just giving my experience. Good luck to you schwalbe181. To the rest of you, I allready have my firesuit on

Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

http://vocm.com.my/forumtopic.aspx?a...&id=4767&cat=9 Read halfway down and you can read the bulletin released in 1990 I thought it was the late 80's...my bad...

Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Do you have ANY practical knowledge, or do you just troll the internet until you find something that backs up your theories?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

Do you have ANY practical knowledge, or do you just troll the internet until you find something that backs up your theories?
<br />
<br />

Ummm nope no practical knowledge...have only worked on a couple thousand but I have practically no experience...ha lol! Hey you wanted proof...there's your proof. Bottom line is that I'm right and any experienced Volvo mechanic will tell you the same thing. The only way to get the fluid and system clean is to flush...you can clean pan too but only if ATF is black otherwise not necessary. But hey you keep on doing it your way and I will keep doing mine but don't tell other folks that flushing is not good for their tranny or it's the wrong way...cause it's not, it will actually keep your car on the road longer than just draining the pan and refilling. I'm only trying to help and if you look at my other posts you will see that I have A LOT of experience and have helped many.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by adki110
schwalbe181 - Just relating my experience with a 1992 940 non-turbo. At about 115,000 when hot the trans would chatter a bit when put into reverse, so I babied it. At about 245,000 the trans developed a leak where the cooler lines secured to the bellhousing, spliced together with rubber hose and clamps. At 380,000 one of the repaired lines had to be repaired again. At 420,000 the overdrive sometimes would not engage so I used the pump into a bucket method using 12 qts of Dextron III. Reverse chatter and occasional fail to shift into overdrive gone. Car retired at 484,000 miles. Again not an arguement, just giving my experience. Good luck to you schwalbe181. To the rest of you, I allready have my firesuit on
And that is what I call a good bedtime story.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zloetakoe
And that is what I call a good bedtime story.
HA LOL!! You guys are funny!