bad miss after washing engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad miss after washing engine

decided to gently wash condenser out today at car wash. Well the engine died during the wash. I did get it started by drying coil and coil wire off. Drove a few miles and went into a store when I went to leave the car would not start after a few times I felt like the car was flooded. So I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked engine and when it fired I shut it off and then reinstalled the fuse. Fired right up but had a terrible miss. I nursed it home and thought I would just let it set for a few hours (6 hrs). Well I just drove it and the miss is still there and hasn't changed much. Im kinda wondering if I fuel fouled the plugs? Any thoughts. Thanks

Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 AM

Take off the distributor and just wipe it down and clean the contacts? Worked for me after my car wouldn't start when I liberally washed the engine bay with loads of water.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beleive
decided to gently wash condenser out today at car wash. Well the engine died during the wash. I did get it started by drying coil and coil wire off. Drove a few miles and went into a store when I went to leave the car would not start after a few times I felt like the car was flooded. So I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked engine and when it fired I shut it off and then reinstalled the fuse. Fired right up but had a terrible miss. I nursed it home and thought I would just let it set for a few hours (6 hrs). Well I just drove it and the miss is still there and hasn't changed much. Im kinda wondering if I fuel fouled the plugs? Any thoughts. Thanks
Check the dizzy cap and pull the plugs to see if they are wet or fouled. Check the wires and connections. If you want to see what cylinder is missing just pull 1 sparkplug wire (use rubber gloves or a spark plug puller pliers) at a time to see what cylinder is the problem.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Check the dizzy cap and pull the plugs to see if they are wet or fouled. Check the wires and connections. If you want to see what cylinder is missing just pull 1 sparkplug wire (use rubber gloves or a spark plug puller pliers) at a time to see what cylinder is the problem.
I pulled the plugs, couple of them were black but not wet. I put new ones in and pulled dist. cap and wiped out real well. Pulled coil and spark plug wires and they were dry but cleaned them anyway. Then took it for a test drive. Its a little better but still misses bad when there is a load on the engine. Going down the high way it seems to clear out. In town its terrible and tries to die. This is a 90 volvo so I dont have points etc. Any help will be appreciated. Ive learned my lesson Im not going to wash under the hood again.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=jagtoes;435107]Check the dizzy cap and pull the plugs to see if they are wet or fouled. Check the wires and connections. If you want to see what cylinder is missing just pull 1 sparkplug wire (use rubber gloves or a spark plug puller pliers) at a time to see what cylinder is the problem.

I cant do pull a sparkplug wire because it just wont idle. It dies on me before I can get out and try and pull one.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM

Maybe try pulling one and then starting the car to see if it runs any different? Or just pull all the plugs and have someone crank the engine to check for spark.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=beleive;435143]

I cant do pull a sparkplug wire because it just wont idle. It dies on me before I can get out and try and pull one.
Pull the plugs and do a compression test.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=jagtoes;435156]

Pull the plugs and do a compression test.
will do but this thing ran perfect before hand. so what kind of compression should I have approx. 98,000 miles on engine.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=beleive;435162]

will do but this thing ran perfect before hand. so what kind of compression should I have approx. 98,000 miles on engine.
did a compression test. 160-165 on all cylinders. Im taking it to a shop tomorrow. Will inform when I find out any info. Thanks

Old 07-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with getting the top of the engine wet when its on is all the electrics. Most likely shorted something out, it could be as straight forward as the alternator or the coil, or it could be the MAF but I guarantee it is something electric. It could have sucked water into the MAF enough to fry that. Try unplugging it and see if it idles better, it'll drive crappy but that can possibly tell you if that is the issue as those are very delicate.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I have hosed many a Volvo motor and never had an issue with after effects. But mostly 740/940, actually all, 240 have crappier electronics.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lev
I have hosed many a Volvo motor and never had an issue with after effects. But mostly 740/940, actually all, 240 have crappier electronics.
Im betting a slipped timing belt (if thats possible) or a bad igintion box. Will let you guys know when I here from the mechanic. Thanks for the help and advice.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't be the timing belt it has notches preventing it from slipping.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:59 PM

got a call from the auto shop today. They said the computer is saying its the crankshaft sensor. Part will be in monday. Glad its nothing serious. Thanks

Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM
lev

Funny because a CPS shouldn't make the engine run bad, it's off or on. It causes it to stall or not start but I have never seen one that made the engine run poorly. May be the combination of washing the motor and the CPS being "weak"...

Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a call from the auto shop today. They said the computer is saying its the crankshaft sensor. Part will be in monday. Glad its nothing serious. Thanks
I'm wondering what kind of computer hooks up to a 1990 volvo. I know the odb can test the iac..fuel injectors and some other things.

I wonder if cps is one of those other things.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:42 AM
lev

1990 should have the OBD1, with the flashing lights, and there is a CPS function.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Default fixed

up and running again. Was told it was the CPS. They had to pull the tranny to remove it. Thanks guys for your help.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 AM
lev

Why would you have to remove the tranny to get to the CPS? Unless somebody broke the bolt, I can't imagine any other reason...

Old 08-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Smells like a rip off.

Quick Reply: bad miss after washing engine