ball joint, passenger side, with power steering

Old 09-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint, passenger side, with power steering

Hi,
I've heard so many times not to take my Volvo to a mechanic.
So, now I'm thinking about replacing the front right ball joint, but have no idea where to start. Is this a bad idea to try it myself, or is it an easy task?
any advise would be greatly appreciated!
PS- the mechanic is the one that told me it was the ball joint that was causing the squeaking and popping from the front end when the wheel is turning? Sound probabable?
thanks again!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Default RE: ball joint, passenger side, with power steering

It's a good guess, not sure what is involved, ask tech

Old 09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

It is easy to do.

Remove the tire then remove the nut for the balljoint. Then there should be screws holding the balljiont to the lower control arm remove them.Then push down on the lower control arm and the balljiont should fall out.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I got it done!
There is a plate that goes inbetween the control arm and the ball joint.
the four bolts that hold it to the control arm need to be removed before the ball joint nut can be accessed. Those four bolts are recomended to be replaced onced removed, according to the Bently. I did NOT replace them. Is it a big deal? I went to the parts store to find the bolts and they said the bolts needed to be hardened or something, and that no one would have them available. Could that be true?

Also, the nut on the ball joint was darn near immpossible to get off! It seems to be connected to the ball, which spins freely. I ended up puting a load on it with c-clamps to get it, but what a pain! There's gotta be a better way?
Any input would be appretiated. I have to do the other one before long.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

You should be fine reusing the bolts.I have seen it done many times.

As for the Nut I always use an impact gun and don't have a problem. That is the key the impact gun.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You usually use a tool called a picklefork (ok) or a ball joint separator jc whitney (better) to get the tapered part out. I also saw a mechanic knock the crap out of the joint with a BFH and it fell out. That (was) is too brutal a method for me. After you have done a few it is like childs play. I much prefer balljoints over kingpins. Oh hell I just showed everyone how old I am.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: wojeepster

You usually use a tool called a picklefork (ok) or a ball joint separator jc whitney (better) to get the tapered part out. I also saw a mechanic knock the crap out of the joint with a BFH and it fell out. That (was) is too brutal a method for me. After you have done a few it is like childs play. I much prefer balljoints over kingpins. Oh hell I just showed everyone how old I am.
I'ts not how old YOU are, it's how old your CARS are...

I have never been able to develop the proper "BFH Technique" for ball joint and tie rod end removal. Yet, I have often seen it done with a single blow!

I use a BJ Separator tool myself. I'll keep Tech's impact gun tip in mind (now that I have one).

+++++++++

Obtain high strength (grade 5 or 8) nuts and bolts from a store that caters to the trade, or order in advance from a jobber such as McMaster-Carr
LINK to McMaster-Carr catalog

If any of the nuts used are "Nylock" (have a locking nylon band on the threads) these should replaced rather than reused, or, you could try Locktite on them. The idea is not to allow them to loosen. I suggest checking the tightness of the hardware you installed.