Bilstein HD struts with antilock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD struts with antilock brakes

Hi all, my first post! I recently bought (rescued) a 1992 240 GL from a neighbor who was trading it in (for $300). It only has 100k miles and is solid but needs a complete going over. I am replacing all bushings, installing IPD sport springs, and want to install Bilstein HD struts/shocks but noticed that some vendors show you can't install them on 240s with ABS. I talked to IPD and said it was something to do with the ABS lines but weren't sure exactly why. This makes no sense to me since it is a cartridge strut (front anyway) so how would it interfere?

Hoping someone has a work around on this or, if there isn't, what shocks/struts would give me crisper handling? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

they'll probably work fine. the ABS might not work quite exactly the same in a hard lockup kind of emergency stop due to the difference in suspension damping, but this will be a minor factor at most. I'm inclined to suspect the 'no ABS' bit is CYA.

now, I haven't done what you're doing. putting lowering springs and HD shocks on a 240 will harshen up the ride, and it won't really improve the handling much except perhaps under racetrack conditions. ditto +1 (15") or +2 (16") wheels with corresponding low and lower profile tires, more harsh, marginal improvement.

if your steering is mushy, you should look at the condition of the tie rods, the steering rack, the lower control arm bushings, and of course, the mcpherson strut cartridge (aka shock) and strut mounts. putting all those back to like new conditions, with boge/sachs stock rate shocks will do a surprising amount of 'crispening' without ruining the ride.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks Pierce! I think and hope you are right - makes sense to me. Hopefully someone who has installed these shocks on an ABS car will also reply. As you suggest, I'll definitely inspect everything while I'm replacing the bushings.

I'm not trying to build a race car, just restore and sharpen up the ride and handling. I'll do some more research on the shock options (suggestions appreciated!). I plan on installing over the next couple months.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Update - found a very informative post on turbo bricks forum. Apparently the strut housing was tapered in 1990 forward for ABS (also used in non-ABS). They also welded in a spacer at the bottom of the tube (suggested to have a machine shop remove with a lathe but sounds difficult). Several people are using the HD struts anyway, even with the gland nut not fully seated, reportedly with no issues. Another option is to get a used set of pre-1990 strut housings. Bummer. Not many salvage yard Volvos here in Kansas, will have to do more digging.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Well FWIW here are the options I see for ABS 240s:
1. Koni yellows - expensive and I found out you have to cut the strut tube off to fit them. Doesn't look real hard but not crazy about cutting the tubes.
2. Bilstein TC - probably the easiest option but I saw many complaints about noise from the mounting holes being too big and I am bit concerned they may be too soft.
3. Bilstein HD - requires early model tubes for best fit.
4. Boge/Sachs - I probably am not giving these enough credit. My concern here is that they may not be a good fit with the IPD lowering springs and may not be firm enough.
I may look around to see if I can find older tubes quick but if not will likely go the Koni route. Still expensive but found them for close to the HD price. Will let you know how it goes (likely in several months!), I would starve if I was a real mechanic.