Bimmerphile to volvophile?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bimmerphile to volvophile?

Just sold my 86 BMW 535i. Great car...too many problems. I have always been a BMW guy, but I am now seriously considering buying a volvo. Honest question, and I know you guys are biased, but who cares. Is a Volvo 740 turbo a true performer? They intrigue me...solid, understated....fast? I dont know. How is the handling? Manuals hard to come by? Any reliability issues? Which is better a 940 turbo or 740 turbo? And what is the difference anyway... 940 based on 740...just bigger and plusher? I dont know much. Please fill me in... I'm looking for a true enthusiast car, am I looking at the right models? Thank you! Ian.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bimmerphile to volvophile?

Mine is 740 wagon ,normal aspirated, its not a sports car but it is a quality vehicle,
I owned a mercedes previously and am happy with the volvo.
It handles quite well for a heavy tank, rack and pinion, macphearson struts etc.
The best part is they are so ez to work on, parts are not expensive on the internet.
I do all the work on mine, I'm no mechanic.
My socket set is from Walmart, $15. No kiddin.

Now an 850turbo, I test drove one and it was shockingly fast compared to mine, I had to back off the peddle accelerating onto the highway down a straight ramp with no curves.
But its an interference engine, you lose the timing belt and the engine is toast.
The 850 is 5 cylinder, I think that engine block is from a renault 20 valve racing design.

Wiki knows volvo models,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_960

They can all be hopped up if thats your thing.

Heres a 940 on the dyno with some tweaking you can get 300 hosses from the 4 bangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6FAW0dAAQ&NR=1

For sheer power its hard to beat an 8 cyinder, step on the gas and its there right NOW,
no pause waiting for rpm to spin the turbo up. Then again I get 26-28 mpg with my volvo.

volvo's are so well engineered, everything just makes sense when you work on them.
Help is always available online or close by if you're near a city.
I beat the crap out of mine, 200K++ miles and built like a brick.
The B230F red blocks are called (almost) indestructable,
they weap a bit of oil due to an alum head mated to a cast iron block but thats considered a feature.!
Replacement used engines cost $300 shipped.

Search this Thread