Canadian built 940T possible differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian built 940T possible differences

Hi,

I can only find conflicting info online. Searched forums without my luck.

1995 940T wagon. My timing belt let go yesterday. Towed it to my local mechanic. His reference books are telling him it is an interference engine.
The car was built at the Hailfax plant according to the sticker under the hood. Just about everything I can find (and thought I knew) tells me the red block B230FT is non interference. He might be confused with the 91-92 GLE which had the 16 valve engine.

However, I have found some caveats that suggest a non US built car might have higher compression with rounded pistions, a different cam, etc etc. that conflicts with my general understanding of the question. I found on a UK volvo site that the B230FB (Volvo 940 engine) has the VX camshaft is interference.

Obviously I don't want to spend the money if the possibilities that valves are bent. Does anyone have any knowledge to suggest that a Canadian built 940 might be an interference engine?

Thanks,

Roy

Last edited by Roy Cross; 05-07-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I seriously doubt it is interference unless it was modified by a previous owner. You can rotate it by hand to see if there something crashing into something to make sure--easily done!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks Lev,

It happened on a suburban street and I cranked it over a few times trying to restart it. It spun faster given that the timing was off but I didn't hear any nasty crashing/nashing sounds. When the belt breaks I presume the valves remain in whater position they were in at the time and the piston rises and falls, so if it was interference I think I would have heard something initially. It's a drag that conflciting info exist. Whatever my mechanic is refering to has him convinced it is interference.

Roy

Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 PM
lev

Well, yeah, but it's hard to go by that alone! The damage happens the first time these things crash into each other, then nada! And even then you don't really hear all that much: last time it happened to me was in a 1987 BMW 325 on the I-5 in Orange County on my way to San Francisco; belt snapped, bent ALL the valves, I had no clue until the head came off...

Why don't you get a second opinion, like from the Volvo dealer there, they should know for sure.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM

The 8-valve is not an interference engine. The main difference you'll find with Canadian spec cars is that the headlights are always on with the engine running.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 PM

You are fine! Install new belt and enjoy!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

Update.
I went to another local mechanic who has done some work for me. He confirmed the 8 valve redblock in the 940 was interference. I called a Volvo dealer and spoke to service department: "yep, interference, sorry".
I purchased a belt and tensioner and dropped it at my mechanic (had car towed there earlier). He said he'd put it in but I was wasting my money and then he told me to pray. I told him I was an aetheist. He put the belt on and called me yesterday. Told me I had divine intervention because the car runs great with the new belt. I went to pick it up today and I still couldn't convince the mechanic that it wasn't divine intervention but rather non-interference that produced the results.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 PM
lev

Yeah, divine intervention had no part in this--rest assured!

Why all the bad info from people who should know better? That is a mystery, but still doesn't rise to the level of a "miracle"!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah - even though the folks at Volvo SHOULD know these are non-interference but they don't have the expertise to fix redblocks anymore. You can get better help online.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Roy Cross
Update.
I went to another local mechanic who has done some work for me. He confirmed the 8 valve redblock in the 940 was interference. I called a Volvo dealer and spoke to service department: "yep, interference, sorry".
I've read everywhere that the red block 8-valve engine is non-interference. Perhaps being a turbo, it could have a different cam, making it otherwise. Canadian built Volvos should only differ in emissions, lighting and safety equipment, if that.

It's become more and more difficult to get information whether engines are interference or non-interference. It seems everyone wants to cover their *** and sell you a timing belt job.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:38 PM

I have had higher lift cams installed such as the VX or the IPD Turbo and you can still spin the cam gear 360 degrees with the pistons at TDC and not have valves hit. Its been years since I have done that though. My memory could be wrong.

That being said, there was ONE time when I recall seeing the tiniest evidence of a tiny little valve scratch on a piston using a higher lift cam. I can't remember the circumstances, but it wasn't anything to worry about and I never had any issues.

There is a reason these cars live to 400k being neglected. The best statement I have heard is, "As long as you keep oil in them, they last forever!". Of course that goes for coolant too. We all know a friend or two that has an old car with a coolant leak and they just kept adding water to it here and there. It would eventually rust or overheat and that is the end!