Change to a one pump system

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change to a one pump system

I don't know if it would work but could I change my 89 240 to a one pump system? How and what kind of pump would I need?
Thanks,
Frank

Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course it would work Frank. In fact, the 740's w/ Regina ignition had just one pump. Normally, as you probably know, there is a low pressure decent volume lift pump in-tank. It's job is solely to get the fuel to the in-line tank under the car. It is the in-line tank that cranks the pressure up and sends it to the engine. Since there is a return line to the tank from the engine for excess fuel most in-line pumps supply way more fuel than necessary. So, if you want to go to a single fuel pump, it will need to be in-tank. The simplest, reliable pump in my opinion would be a Walbro after market pump. The pump mounts to the fuel sender assembly just like the o.e. As it is a bit taller, you may need to remove a bit of either fuel pipe nipple or fuel hose for fitment. Caterpiller clamps or zip ties will secure the pump to the sender assembly. Be sure to use a new bung hole gasket o-ring deal. Under the car, some creative plumbing will ensue...you need to take the fuel pump out of the picture and connect the fuel inlet hose from the tank directly to a fuel filter and then the filter to the line as normal. There are adapters available for the rear of the fuel filter to be able to connect the tank line to it. Something to consider is the integrity of the fuel line from tank to what would be the filter. In o.e. configuration, that hose doesn't carry much pressure and is quite large in diameter to get volume to the pressure pump. I would suggest using what ever type of hose setup the 90 740 w/ regina ignition uses as it has a high pressure pump in-tank and going to the filter under car is all high pressure line.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Of course it would work Frank. In fact, the 740's w/ Regina ignition had just one pump. Normally, as you probably know, there is a low pressure decent volume lift pump in-tank. It's job is solely to get the fuel to the in-line tank under the car. It is the in-line tank that cranks the pressure up and sends it to the engine. Since there is a return line to the tank from the engine for excess fuel most in-line pumps supply way more fuel than necessary. So, if you want to go to a single fuel pump, it will need to be in-tank. The simplest, reliable pump in my opinion would be a Walbro after market pump. The pump mounts to the fuel sender assembly just like the o.e. As it is a bit taller, you may need to remove a bit of either fuel pipe nipple or fuel hose for fitment. Caterpiller clamps or zip ties will secure the pump to the sender assembly. Be sure to use a new bung hole gasket o-ring deal. Under the car, some creative plumbing will ensue...you need to take the fuel pump out of the picture and connect the fuel inlet hose from the tank directly to a fuel filter and then the filter to the line as normal. There are adapters available for the rear of the fuel filter to be able to connect the tank line to it. Something to consider is the integrity of the fuel line from tank to what would be the filter. In o.e. configuration, that hose doesn't carry much pressure and is quite large in diameter to get volume to the pressure pump. I would suggest using what ever type of hose setup the 90 740 w/ regina ignition uses as it has a high pressure pump in-tank and going to the filter under car is all high pressure line.

Thanks I would like to try that. I am having problems with in tank pumps