check engine light plus 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light plus 3

After being with my daughter for 18 months at college her ’92 240 sedan was brought back to me to get it back in shape. It runs very well, in fact it is smother and has more power than my ‘93 240 SW.

However, there are 4 things I would like some advice on.

1. The wind shield wipers don’t turn off properly. If you wiggle the lever on the steering wheel column push it forward and down a very very small amount and just right you can get them to turn off. The other way to turn the wipers off is to put the lever on the steering wheel column in the off position and turn the car off. When you start the car back up the wipers will turn themselves off.

2. When you flick the lever for the head lamps on the steering wheel column to turn the bights on the head lamps go out. Flick it again and the dims come back on. I do not think these two things (wipers, lights) are related, since the two levers are completely different apparatuses, but I don’t know that for sure.

3. The car had the starter and nutrual control swicht replaced when my daughter drove the car home from the shop she noticed the check engine light is on. The car was running well and we had had a problem with the shop so I told her to drive the car home and I would look into the problem.

I took the car to 3 different shops all of which said they didn’t have the equipment the check the check engine light the ‘92 240 out. The tech at the 4th shop lifted the hood and opened a small black box on the driver’s side wheel well wall. He inserted a small metal rod that was attached to the black box into holes in the box, and lights started flashing. The lights flashed 2-1-2 which he said mean the air flow meter was bad. He went on to say he didn’t understand this since if the air flow meter was bad the car would run ruff. He thought it was more likely the oxygen sincere meter, but he didn’t know for sure. The car runs so well his advice was to ignore the check engine light.
NOTE IN PASSING: My daughter drove the car 650 miles home with the light on and had no trouble; I have driven it enough to use 3 tank full with no trouble. In addition I have checked the exhaust pipe for fouling and have found no (None at all) black crud in the tail pipe.

4. Advice on getting the mileage counter on the speedometer to work.

Help!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Are you sure you have the codes right. Code 212 is the code for the o2 sensor, code 121 is the code for the MAF sensor.

RonJ

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Default can i do it myself

It appeared when the tech checked the little black box he did not have to use any equipment. By that I mean all he had to do was plug the attached metal rod into the holes inside the black box.

If this is so, how can I check the whole thing out for myself …are there any instructions about using this “black box” to read what the check engine light means?

If there is a way for me to check this out for myself it would be a big help to me….

Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post