Denver to Maine.. Dejavu

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver to Maine.. Dejavu

Well classes are almost out and Time to head back to Maine for the summer. Taking the volv back with me. took her to the shop this morning for some small things.

The gasket for the coolant sender unit cracked over the weekend sending my coolant everywhere.. The oil cooler lines 0-rings and crush gaskets have been leaking since ive owned the car, finally getting them fixed so that should stop most of the leaking oil. My rear suspension is soft, same as the front, but ill save up and get some new coils later. The front suspension was alittle less fortunate. 2 sets of bushings need to be replaced, and thats gonna run the bill up a few bucks. The exhaust is almost all my own custom crap work. Ive cut the cat out, took one muffler out and as it sits right now its a downpipe to custom tubing to a muffler out to the axle pipe and tailpipe. Its gotten really loose due to the spacing of it being off, so over a bump the axle pipe hits the axle loosening everything an making a ruckus. Im going to an exhaust shop this week to get the custom clamped pipes replaced for a 2.5" welded exhaust to the muffler, then welded axle pipe and out. Should look alot cleaner, flow better, and be more solid.

Since the trip to Denver, ive put in new component speakers, a cold air intake, and done stage zero a few times with regular tune ups. Tires rotated, brakes checked, and front end aligned. Next up before the trip is a MBC and gauge to boost to about 10psi. The new cold air lets me hear the boost and turbo alot better. We have internal bov's in the 940t correct? What would an aftermarket do? Simply just sound? I know the CAI does nothing except throttle response, if that and just more noisy.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your turbo should have an integrated blow-by valve. Blow-off valves will cause your car to run extremely rich whenever it is blowing off charge pressure because of the nature of a hot-wire mass airflow metering system. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter. The blow-by valve is that thing on the compressor housing of the turbo, just FYI.

Sounds like fun stuff.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Schwalbe! Glad to know you and the car are doing well.

I think my wife and I are going to visit maine later this week actually. Have any recommendations while we are there?

If you see a 245 with a canoe on top and a few bikes on back, that's us.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow...making the trip in reverse, hmm? Cool! As mentioned, the issue with using BOV's on LH systems is that you're dumping air that has been already metered and calculated by the AMM and the info sent to the ecu. There are ways around the rich spike issue and tons of info on it on turbobricks. Truthfully, like the cold air intake, there are no gains at all IMHO. The car came from the factory with a genuine cold air intake,i.e., the air was drawn through the fender well...away from the hot air of the engine compartment. When you consider it, money spent on a cold air intake is money better spent on important things...like cold beer! Lots of grief is handed out over CAI's, but the truth is, at idle it's sucking hot air...but at speed, fresh cold air is streaming through the engine bay regardless. It's good you're dealing with the bushings...and the exhaust! What coolant sensor blew...the one on the radiator?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 AM

Go to the coast for sure. Old Port in Portland ME, Lobster of course. If your adventurous head up to Acadia, might still be snow on the ground but great views of the whitemountains of NH and the Ocean. Pretty much any place in Maine in the mountians or coast are worth visiting.
As far as the CAI, it was only 40 dollars, still alittle jury rigged, but the reason i got it was bc my filter needed to be replaced, and thats 12 right there, and one of the clips on my airbox is broken, and then 2 others rusted out where i can't pull them up, so it was just time, plus it looks alot cleaner and open without the huge black box in the way. The sensor on the coolang was the one right below the overflow tank line, and on the left side of the radiator facing the car. Its right at the top. Easy fix, 2 dollars. Im going to get the exhaust custom made this week with one stock muffler and no res or cat. Same sound as im used to but more stable and no leaks. The way i have the cold air mapped out is directly next to the OEM cut out hole for the original box, still need to fab up a cheap heat shield for hot air idle purposes.
As for the BOV< just an idea. I can hear it enough in the car, so must be somewhat audible outside. Im hoping since my brother just sold his 2011 sti, and bought an 04 xt. only 210hp, i can now give him a running with 10psi and straight through exhaust.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Picked her up from the shop today. Had the sender unit done on radi, lower cv boots done on both sides and oil cooler gaskets. He tried to adjust my exhaust from my jurry rigged home made set up, finally got tot he point of not wanting to deal with it anymore. Took it to an exhaust shop right down the road. Got a 2.5 inch welded pipe to muffler, then custom bend over axle and out. Sounds just the same as before, but alot sturdier and no leaks. Over all pretty excited.