Diagnosis help 1990 240dl

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis help 1990 240dl

Hey all, I posted here before thinking that my ignition coil had gone on my volvo. Turns out that it was a faulty voltage regulator. After replacing the alternator, and battery, things were fine for awhile, though i still don't have any working dash indicators or functioning high beams (gas gauge and clock still work). Now for the past two weeks, she's been starting rough, and stalling out when shifting into gear. I checked all of my fluid levels, and they were high and clean. Now today, it took a little bit to get it started and while i was driving it just died. Not sure what it is, but I think it's the battery, though it wouldn't even start when i tried to jump in. I'm really, REALLY desperate for advice or help. I can't take it to a shop, and I only have enough cash to get the parts (if need be) myself. Is there anything else that may be a root cause here, or is it a dead battery?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no would have started...I would first check car for codes. Do you know how to do that? If not let me know and I'll give you a step by step..2. I'd check for spark. Pull coil wire off cap and have someone hold it extremely close to the stud on your strut tower. Turn the car over and see if your friend sees spark coming out of the wire. If so, you most likely have a fuel issue. Bad or weak fuel pump,bad fuel pump relay,bad fuel pressure regualtor,bad MAF sensor...1. Put hand on fuel pump relay turn key to on position and see if relay clicks. If not 1. No power to relay (check fuses and make sur you have power to fuse and connections are clean) Also make sure connections to battery are clean and tight and same to junction box. 2.bad fuel pump relay. IF not, 3. While turning car over have someone go under drivers side near main fuel pump and see if they hear it running. If so, 4.Next, Unhook electrical connection from MAF and try to start car, if car starts most likely a bad MAF. If not,get a can of starting fluid, unhook the hose at the air filter side MAF. Spray some starting fluid inside MAF, start car if starts, either week fuel pump or bad fuel pressure regulator. 5. None of that works inspect your tune parts(cap,rotor,test wires,pull plugs and se if any are fouled out etc.) 6. Check for vacuum leaks especially on your bellows(black corrugated hose that the MAF hooks into. Anyhow, very had to diagnose without actually looking at car but try some of those steps and ask any questions as you go and I'll try my best to help you...good luck...if you can buy cheap test light and a multimeter...

Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 AM

There is a 25 amp fuse in the engine compartment that is part of the fuel system if your troubleshooting takes you down that path. It comes directly off the battery.

When I put my headlights on relays, I also planned to replace it and the fuse holder with one used in marine applications. Good thing too, I picked up the fuse holder and the fuse literally fell out. I hope your fix is an easy one. The timing belt may also be broken. Good Luck

Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkdelta
There is a 25 amp fuse in the engine compartment that is part of the fuel system if your troubleshooting takes you down that path. It comes directly off the battery.

When I put my headlights on relays, I also planned to replace it and the fuse holder with one used in marine applications. Good thing too, I picked up the fuse holder and the fuse literally fell out. I hope your fix is an easy one. The timing belt may also be broken. Good Luck

You are correct, there is a 25amp fuse on thesmall wire on positive battery post. If this fuse is bad you will get no power to your fuel pump relay. If timing belt is broke you will know because you will here a very distinct sound high pitch..sounds like no compression...