Dies when gunned, gas gauge, and bent rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies when gunned, gas gauge, and bent rotor?

Well, I once had a 89 740 turbo that I brought back to life with the help of this amazing forum. I am hoping to once again get the tips to make my current 1993 940 turbo wagon healthy again.

Issues:
It likes to die, check engine light on and then all the rest, when I gun it or rev it high and then back all the way off the throttle. If I maintain some rpm's, it usually doesn't die at all. I've read a little bit about something similar, but I'm not sure if its the same. ANy ideas?

Also, the gas gauge doesnt like to work 4 times out of 5. Everything else gauge-wise is fine, to my knowledge. Just the fuel...something easy?

AND, finally, I thought it was a faulty caliper that was making it pull to the right and also giving a pretty obvious shake/vibration at lower speeds, but might it be the rotor? Pulled the wheel off and spun the rotor thru the caliper, and there's definately a point of hesitation/friction. Obviously the rotor? or caliper too? Didn't pull off the caliper, but from what I could see there was even wear on the pads...

This sweet little beast wants to roam free again without these issues, so any help or hints are GREATLY appreciated!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Dies when gunned, gas gauge, and bent rotor?

1. Last tune up including throttle cleaning?

2.Gas gauge might be bad or the sending unit might be bad.

3.Rotor could be warped and also something in the front end might be worn out.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks! I started with the TB, got it all cleaned out, vacuum tubes cleared, etc., and the dying problem is gone!
Still going to tune er up with new plugs...

I feel like I should flush the transmission fluid and change the filter. I've done it before with no problems on an 89 740, but is this maybe a bad idea for a 93 940?

Also, gotta get that gas gauge checked out and the rotor (just had new tires put on, and now it pulls to the opposite direction, with the vibration/pulsating still persistent...?)

Thanks again...

Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Mine had a severe pull until I increased front tire pressure from 20 lbs to 35.

Did you get it aligned?

What about checking the rotor before driving it, on a cold morning.
If its not too bad , check the calipers aren't binding on the slider pins, they have to be lubed and free.
Use a screwdriver to pry them around.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:52 PM

pulling when braking indicates worn front suspension bushings.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM

I will check the bushings, thanks. The vibrating really has me thinking the rotor is involved at least in part.
I'm curious how I can find out which rotors are compatible with my 93 940 turbo...same off an 89 740?

So, i posted earlier that I had cleaned the TB and the dying issue was gone. Well, it came back yesterday...I haven't checked the TB, but could it really get that gunked up in a matter of a week? It really was cured for a while, I did my best to make it stall. Now its back, so I'm wondering whats going on.

Also, I think my seat heaters (switches?) are effed up. Any common solutions to his one? only one lights up, and I'm not very confident in their heating capacities...

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

My idea of a good tuneup is air filter, plugs, wires,
cap, rotor, flametrap and oil trap.
Replace gasket on oil filler cap.
Check hoses and belts.
Clean all flame trap hoses, clean throttle body,
check throttle switch on throttle body
( it should click just as throttle is opened and closes).

It might cost around $150 in parts but it beats paying volvo $500.
If you replace the oil trap order a new intake manifold gasket as you'll need to pull the manifold back to get access, it makes the job sooo much more pleasant.
If you do this much you might as well replace the water temp sensor above the oil trap and be done with that area of the engine. Use teflon tape on the threads to prevent leaks. No need to drain coolant, just do a quick presto chango and next to nothing will come out.

Also remove the idle motor and spray clean insides with carb cleaner.
Its located under the intake manifold also.

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...m#EGRValveNote