Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

My 940 hit 200k this week, and I am shopping around for tune up parts. One of the items I need is a new exhaust system from the cat back. I was thinking of either going with something cheap like the AP EXHAUST($30 a muffler on rock auto) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5872
or doing something interesting like putting a truck exhaust in. What are your guys experiences/suggestions with exhaust?

Also... Anyone recommend buying these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-95...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by mikkowus; 11-23-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would visit a few local exhaust shops in your area, tell them what you want and get some quotes. Custom work is usually a similar price to buying and freighting exhausts.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM

You are saying that even if I decided to go cheap, getting it done at a shop would be a better deal as well?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Put a cherry bomb on it

Only joking, can't imagine what a glasspack would sound like on a Volvo. Are you planning on going all the way back with it. I'm assuming you have the money for it, but if I was in the same situation I'd just route it out the side and save the money for other things. I guess I gotta stop thinking like a hot rodder.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by mikkowus
You are saying that even if I decided to go cheap, getting it done at a shop would be a better deal as well?
Yeah, even if you go cheap local stores can sometimes be a good deal. They also have access to the premade systems you are seeing online, but buy them at reduced prices. Sure, they'll bump their price up, but with fitting and factoring in your time spent removing a stubborn old exhaust and fitting a new one, they are usually very much worth the money.
Some really large exhaust places even have automated bending machines, they insert a piece of pipe, select the make of car and teh computer system bends it all up for them.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Getting under a car with a can of WD-40 and undoing a could of flange bolts past the cat isn't exactly hard work...

Just do it yourself and put on a simple exhaust from and auto parts place...

as far as putting on a "truck" exhaust, I'll assume that you mean a large diameter pipe. This is going to cause a loss of torque in a NA car. If your turbo don't expect to gain too much since your just moving the choke point upstream, that being to your headers, down pipe, and cat...

Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Let me break this down. I would not do a side out unless this is a fun only car. I have it on my 242 turbo, with a glass pack, it's not loud per say. But it sure isn't quiet and i wouldn't want to daily drive it because it drones, and exhaust fumes also get back in the car. Not to mention a 940 is a 4 door and where the exhaust will come out on a side out will lend a great chance of someone getting burned on it when getting in/out of the car.

Adding on a truck muffler isn't going to drop your torque, it isn't going to add horsepower. In fact its not going to do anything. If you need a complete system replaced, then do a complete system. Go with bigger tubing that stock and get a free flowing muffler. One that is designed to flow better, not one that is just bigger.

Are your current injectors doing anything odd that you want to buy 8 of them?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 PM

What I am actually looking for is something that is quiet and possibly would add top end power(not necessary though). During the summer, I use that car for long road trips sometimes upto 3k every few weekends. The car is usually loaded down pretty well with multiple people, camping gear and canoes. As you can imagine, something that is quiet and wont fail in 2 months, with maybe a little more power would be helpful. I want to make the car into a really nice road-tripping cruiser.

I believe that ebay auction is selling just 4. Odd picture though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-95...Q5fAccessories

On a side note, I am replacing the timing belt. Is there anything I should replace as well like the tensioner?

Last edited by mikkowus; 11-25-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by regime
Getting under a car with a can of WD-40 and undoing a could of flange bolts past the cat isn't exactly hard work...

Just do it yourself and put on a simple exhaust from and auto parts place...

as far as putting on a "truck" exhaust, I'll assume that you mean a large diameter pipe. This is going to cause a loss of torque in a NA car. If your turbo don't expect to gain too much since your just moving the choke point upstream, that being to your headers, down pipe, and cat...
I see you've never actually had a nut round off due to corrosion?
Frankly, I'd rather pay someone $60 to cut all that old crap off, it's worth it to not get that **** in my eyes. They have the tools and the hoist, they can do it in one third the time you can on your back.
As for not gaining much after the cat with a turbo, it seems you are wrong again. Everyone I know with a 740 turbo picks up 2 psi boost just going to a decent exhaust after the cat....now, seeing as how turbos work on a pressure drop across the turbine, I think maybe we have less restriction somewhere?

Regards, Andrew.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Typhoon
I see you've never actually had a nut round off due to corrosion?
Frankly, I'd rather pay someone $60 to cut all that old crap off, it's worth it to not get that **** in my eyes. They have the tools and the hoist, they can do it in one third the time you can on your back.
As for not gaining much after the cat with a turbo, it seems you are wrong again. Everyone I know with a 740 turbo picks up 2 psi boost just going to a decent exhaust after the cat....now, seeing as how turbos work on a pressure drop across the turbine, I think maybe we have less restriction somewhere?

Regards, Andrew.

you could get a sawzall on for that 60 buck and then use it every time you need to "cut off all the old crap"

=)

probably a pair of safety glasses too. haha

also i didnt say it would gain "nothing" i said it wouldnt be huge...

Old 11-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Thats what I'll do. Use a grinder and a sawzall.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Get a stock exhaust from FCPGroton for around $200.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/130

Old 11-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for free guide to changing exhaust systems. A Dremel tool with cutting discs works wonders for underlying parts you want to save. A reciprocating saw is great for parts you want to discard. Volvo offers lifetime warranty exhaust systems.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 PM

I ordered a bosal system from rockauto. It should be arriving tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.